Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trucks!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

Trucks!

Man, this place is deader than a three day old mackerel so I'll pose a question.

It's time to trade the F350 diesel for a gasser 1/2 ton and I really can't make up my mind how to go. I had pretty much settled on a 2019 Ford F150 crewcab with a 5.0 V8 but I've been reading about the oil consumption issue with this motor combined with the glitchy 10 speed trans problems and have had a rethink.

I really don't like a lot of the 'features' in new vehicles like cylinder deactivation, stop/start etc. so that brings me back to the only old/new truck out there - the Toyota Tundra. It still is an old truck as far as that kind of thing goes (last rework was 2006/7) so it's worth a look. My last experience with Toyota was not great so I'm leery about going that way again but I guess I'll take one for a drive and see what's what.

I know some of you drive Tundras so what is your HONEST opinion (not the Toyota koolaid)? Still a viable choice for a daily driver truck?

Can’t help you I guess. I’m a Tacoma guy because I simply have no need for a full-sized truck. My first was in 1981 and I’ve probably owned 20 of them. (Some were my company trucks). I bought ONE Chevy during those years during a short bout of temporary insanity. We don’t have enough bandwidth for me to list the problems I had with that truck, but let’s just say I won’t drive ANYTHING but a Toyota now.

That said, I bought a Sequoia a while back which is the suv on the Tundra chassis. No problems and it was a nice car, but when we traded it, Lynn went back to driving a sedan. There are a few Tundra drivers here who could give a better report.

Good luck with it Johnboy. Oh, and Big Sky has a Phord he’d probably sell ya’!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Trucks!

Mine is an ‘04. So, before the last redo. However, it’s been A solid pickup and what you’d expect from a Toyota. It’ll 4 wheel through anything and has been flawless mechanically. My only complaints would be very low gas mileage (around 12-13 mpg city and 17-18 highway) and the absolute worst turning radius of any vehicle I’ve ever driven. I think Barry has a newer one and can hopefully weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

My Tundra is a ‘14. Canada five timespulling a boat both ways, Colorado five times, Carolinas once, Alabama once, let’s just say It has seen some highway miles. I’ve had a pickup since I was 16 years old. This is the best one I’ve ever owned. Tows my boat good. 385hp/17 highway, 14 around town and about 12 towing the boat.
    I loved my old Silverado, but it can’t hold a candle to this one.
    Yep. I love my truck. Can you tell?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I believe you Barry Bob! People that own these seem to like them just fine. I love my big diesel but the warranty is running out and I have to decide whether to buy an extended warranty or trade it for something smaller. These new diesels a so friggen complicated that any engine work costs many $$$$K and it concerns me. I've had zero issues or problems with this truck since new but....

Anyway, I'm gonna give a Tundra a test drive and see what I think. Kinda like the Platinum crew model. Already looked at the Tacoma and it's too small for my taste.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post

BKB
    What Barry said!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Just bought a Dodge 1500 Limited. I'm very impressed with the ride and interior but I've already had some issues with it. Dodge was really good about getting it fixed and I'm open to it being a one off issue, time will tell.

I’m suppose to pick up a new Chevy High Country tomorrow but it’s opening day of turkey season.
    If I shoot the turkey early enough I guess I can do both.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I’m suppose to pick up a new Chevy High Country tomorrow but it’s opening day of turkey season.
    If I shoot the turkey early enough I guess I can do both.
    When you drive it down to the Low Country does it make you feel self conscious? Taller?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I've reached the 'analysis paralysis' part of this exercise. I've looked at everything, weighed all the pros and cons, figured out the best deals etc. and I still can't make up my damm mind what to do. I think (today anyway) that I have it down to the following choices - keep the F350 and buy an extended warranty, buy a full size 1/2 ton (either F150 or Tundra) or go with a midget truck (Tacoma or Frontier). Unfortunately nothing out there really tweaks me. I drove a Tundra Ltd. yesterday and it seemed like a pretty decent truck but certainly not 'exciting' and I don't like the way Toyota packages their options. To get this you gotta take that, whether you want it or not. With a Ford I can option the truck exactly the way I want it.

Aaaargh.

Congrats on the Chevy Captain. At least you made a decision.

John in your truck shopping did you get an up close look at that new GMC tailgate?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Nope. I never even looked at a GM product which is surprising for an old GMC fan. They really turned me off with their cylinder on demand systems (a stupid idea that turned into crappy tech that never worked right and caused lotsa issues). Too bad cause I really loved my old 2001 GMC 8.1/Allison. Shoulda kept that truck!

Didn't look at Ram trucks neither. Beautiful looking trucks but glitchy problems. My next door neighbour parked his brand new Ram 1500 in his driveway, left the engine running whilst he jumped out to get something and watched it drive across his lawn, thru the fence and into his neighbours yard. Good thing there were no kids around. He swears that he put it in park but that has been one of their issues.

I think I'll order a new F150 pretty soon. Just waiting for the right moment (better discounts).

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    My Tundra is a ‘14. Canada five timespulling a boat both ways, Colorado five times, Carolinas once, Alabama once, let’s just say It has seen some highway miles. I’ve had a pickup since I was 16 years old. This is the best one I’ve ever owned. Tows my boat good. 385hp/17 highway, 14 around town and about 12 towing the boat.
    I loved my old Silverado, but it can’t hold a candle to this one.

BKB
    Having ridden in the back seat of BBPs Tundra for couple thousand of those miles I can tell you the back seat is huge, comfy and great for napping. You can’t even tell there’s a boat being pulled at all but Barry drives like a little old lady so it’s hard to tell from that perspective.

I think my next truck will be a Tundra.

I do love my Ram, though. I am a lifelong leadfoot and that hemi is nice!

I’m not sure if you follow Archer on FB, but his two year old Ford is in the shop having the entire timing system replaced to the tune of $4k US. Evidently, a known problem. Even if it’s covered by warranty, that just sucks.

Ask Big Sky about his Ford spark plugs.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Since I’m being accused of shit disturbing, let me say that anyone who drives something other than a Toyota is ignoring the leader in both dependability and resale value. If only they would sell a diesel in the US...

Ummm, how 'bout a sneak peek under the hood of this U.S. 2020 Toyota Tundra. Any idea what that "D" might stand for?

2020-Toyota-Tundra-Diesel2.jpg

Holy crap! I think I just got a woody...

Me too! But I dunno if it is my annual semi-woody or my semi-annual woody.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Toyota is being mighty tight-lipped, but the rumor is, they'll be teaming up with Cummins. BUT ... I heard the same thing 2-3 years ago, so who knows? The last I heard was the 2020 diesel Tundra was scheduled to "possibly" hit the U.S. market around the middle of this year. I'll believe it when I see it. Toyota usually does so much testing to make sure there are no bugs that they are usually behind the competition. But I'll take reliability over "the first to hit the market" any day.

They’ll roll it out about when the battery technology for electric motors is perfected at this rate.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

You can say that again ... and again ... and again ... and again!

I dunno what is up with this double posting deal. I’m gonna clear history and cookies and see if that does it.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I think it is range that is the only thing keeping manufacturers from jumping into the higher torqueapplications for trucks. There is a reason that the remote controlled locomotives you see in railyards these days are going to electric.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And bingo, it didn’t double post. after I cleared it.

Now that is skrange.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And bingo, it didn’t double post. after I cleared it.

Now that is skrange.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And it just did. WTF?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Lynn's brother has worked for Toyota all his working life and is an engineer for Lexus. About 5 years ago, I was riding around with him in his company car ... a hydrogen fuel cell car (forgot the name of it). That thing was cool! The only thing that came out of the exhaust was a few drops of water! I think they've been running those things around for 7-8 years now and I believe they were just introduced to the public in California this year (maybe last year?). TBH, I couldn't tell the difference from driving a gas car (he let me drive it). At that time, I believe he said he was getting close to 70 mpg. They couldn't release it until they got the infrastructure in place (fueling stations) around the state. I asked how his demo program worked and he said they have a huge lot of cars available and the engineers just walk out after work and pick whatever they want to drive. He said that hydrogen car was one of his favorites.

I remember seeing a do umentary about hydrogen power being touted at the fuel of the future for combustible engines. The problem they were trying to solve then was how to build a fuel tank that wouldn’t explode on impact. Much the same type of range issues as CNG.

My opinion is IF they can solve the battery issue, that electric outperforms them all when it comes to available torque at any speed and carbon footprint. That’s a huge ‘if’ though.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I asked him about that and he said they had some sort of carbon fiber (I think?) fuel tank that you could run over with a Cat D-12 and not hurt it.

Seriously, I don't remember the details, but it was pretty much bullet-proof. My problem with batteries is size and weight, plus the frigging cost when replacement comes around. Batteries wear out. Of course, that's where advances in technology enter the picture I suppose.