Thread: 3 things I learned this week...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar

3 things I learned this week...

In no particular order or importance:

1) After a couple decades fighting the inevitable conclusion I have come to accept that God does not wish for me to have a grease gun that works. Oh sure, I can put a new tube of grease in, get the air bubbles purged, and maybe make it through half a 4x4 front end. But in the end it will stop before the job is done. Then comes the pecking on the side, the banging on the ground, the pulling of the plunger out and pushing it back in, the throwing, the disassembly followed by the reassembly, the cussing and eventually the acceptance that my efforts at lubing the front end of my truck is, for God, like me playing laser tag with my mother's cat.

2) Non-ethanol gas and 2 stroke mix really does stay potent through a winter. Especially when the oil has stabilizer in it. The lawnmower, the tiller, the cultivator, the weed whacker, and the chainsaw all started right up without much if any problem. I'm ready for spring.

3) The spirit of the family feud is alive and well in WV. The Hatfields and McCoys went after it over a pig. A flock of chickens and a border collie that occasionally breaks out of his pen have my neighbors lawing at each other. At least my place is big enough to stay away from the ruckus most of the time.

Will

A little Sea Foam might be just the thing for all three of those!

I’m excited about the change of season too. My cold frame is almost overflowing with stuff for the garden.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Count me in as another who really anticipates the change in seasons. I’ve about got the homestead ready to go as I just got the mulch delivered this morning and that’s the last step. After I get that done this weekend, the two following weekends will be down at the cabin getting that ready and chasing trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

What are seasons?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    What are seasons?
    You big goof, for your locale that would be bikini season versus shorts and sandals season.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    I can't pour gas in the lawn mower without getting gas all over my hands! ...wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    I can't pour gas in the lawn mower without getting gas all over my hands! ...wtf?

You know Air Bud that’s one of the truest things I’ve seen in the internet this week. I bought a new 3-gallon gas tank last fall to fill up with non-ethanol gas when I go down to the cabin (it’s hard to find up here in Yuppieville) and bring home to use in my lawn equipment. I’ll be damned if I’ve been able figure out how to work that pour spout.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    this is what a gas can is supposed to look like. Unfortunately, they've gone the way of the Dodo

g2_1024x1024.jpg
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Word. I can’t help but wonder how “eco-friendly” these new ones are if folks are spilling gas all over the place. I bet if Thump can figure out the hazardous materials shipping issues he could make a mint on EBay selling vintage gas cans.

I wonder if one of these would work? I know I tried swapping out with one from an older/smaller can and it didn’t fit.

Sure looks that way...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aiF0TbAIXM8

My gas cans are all old as shit. I can’t think of a single one I’ve ever worn out. Andyet there appears to be a market for new ones. And people with college degrees can’t figure out how to use them!
    What a wonderful diverse world of humans we live in.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Oh! That is one of my biggest pet peeves. All of my relatives can affirm this as they've all heard me rant about it. I honestly think you could put together a pretty fair representation of the empire's decline just by looking at the design of gas cans over the last couple decades.

I actually took the life of one especially obnoxious gas can nozzle via my 10 pound sledge.... it wasn't pretty.

I mean how flipping hard is it? You have gas in a can and you need to put it into a tank. Between OSHA, the EPA, and the natural tendency for companies to make things as flimsy and disposable as humanly possible you end up with a goat **** of epic proportions on something that our ancestors had figured out pretty well 50 years ago. My god it is sad to watch this kind of thing!

Will

I challenge you to use one of these new EPA mandated gas cans to fill up a lawn mower, chain saw or edger (or a smaller can to mix two-stroke oil) without spilling. Good luck!

All of mine are pre-government designed gas cans so they work just fine.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    now that's cool right there Buddy! ...Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post

I actually took the life of one especially obnoxious gas can nozzle via my 10 pound sledge.... it wasn't pretty.

I mean how flipping hard is it? You have gas in a can and you need to put it into a tank. Between OSHA, the EPA, and the natural tendency for companies to make things as flimsy and disposable as humanly possible you end up with a goat **** of epic proportions on something that our ancestors had figured out pretty well 50 years ago. My god it is sad to watch this kind of thing!

Will
    Hahahahahaha! .....been there done that!

I already ordered mine. Just be sure that you get the one that’s for retrofitting newer gas cans.

any one of you fellers ever changed a front turn signal bulb on a 2013 Silverado? .......Grrrrrrr!

wtf was gm thinking? ....I was madder than a one-legged dude at a buttkicking contest I tell ya!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I had a headlight go out on my 2010 Suburban. Bought a bulb then tried to figure out how to change it. The manual didn’t have anything on it so I looked it up online.

Ended up returning the bulb and taking the damn thing into the repair shop I go to. One of the bolts for the headlight assembly is behind the bumper cover. You have to remove the splash guard from the fender well, take off the bumper cover just to access the bolt.

The local GM dealer quoted $200 to change the bulb. My guy charged me $25.

What a horrible design.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Best $20 bucks you can spend.....military design of the original Army Jerry Jug.....even o.d. color.....and, you won't spill a drop.

https://www.tmart.com/5-Gallon-20L-M...RoC-eMQAvD_BwE

od.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 03-23-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

But back to the grease gun.....I hate those bastards too.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Southern Gentleman

Hmmm. I might use one of those on the next stubborn grease gun I run into. 😊

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    EZPour.JPG

First one I bought was like CD pictured.. Better than nothing but it wasn't real durable. I've bought 4 of these now. Made a gas can out of junk. About $10 depending where you find them..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.