Thread: Spring Break

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

Spring Break

My family and I have spent this past week in Gulf Shores Alabama for Spring Break. Weather didn’t really cooperate and it rained for three of the days. We made use of one of the rainy days by visiting the National Naval Aviation museum in Pensacola. The kids loved it and so did I.

We went back on Wednesday to watch the Blue Angels practice and my son and nephew got autographs from all of the pilots. They were super excited about that.

Have to head back north tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

That's super cool!

Yessir, they're here in town as we speak. In fact, while you were there, they were probably practicing for the show here. The Sun & Fun Fly-In is the second biggest airshow in the country (I assume Oshkosh is the biggest). Lynn and I usually go every year. Anyway, the cool part is, our house is the turn-around point for all the aerobatics going on, including the Blue Angels, so I can just sit on my pool deck and get a show right here in my back yard! Actually, I live on a lake and I have to assume the lake is the visual marker for the turn-around. The Blue Angels are here almost every year, if not it'll be the Thunderbirds ... or some years they are both here. The actual airshow runs Tuesday - Sunday, but I think the official Angels performance is Friday - Sunday. I was on my deck yesterday (Thursday) and they would buzz so close to my roof, I could actually see the pilots up close and personal as they made their turn back toward the airport! I'm not sure if they were here on Tuesday and Wednesday, but I've had planes flying at treetop level over my house all week and it'll continue through the weekend.

Here are some cool pics of the Angels: https://www.theledger.com/photogalle...404009976/PH/1

The show even runs at night and that's when Lynn and I like to go. We know a few vendors out there and we usually set up with one of them. The benefit is, we get in free, they have seats for us and they have free food and drink! Here are a few night shots: https://www.theledger.com/photogalle...404009999/PH/1
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

that looks like an awesome way to spend spring break, Deputy! I’ve always been a big fan of the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds. I have to admit a little bias towards the Tbirds. Us zoomies gotta stick together!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    The Thunderbirds are going to be doing a show near home this summer the weekend after my son’s birthday and we had already talked about going to see them. After seeing the Angels he really wants to see another show.

I had seen the Angels before, but haven’t had the chance to see the Thunderbirds so it will be cool to see the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Really cool, Ddog !!!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    The NNA is a fantastic place to visit, great displays of both old and new.
    We went there with our friends, Larry trained as a Navy Pilot there in the late 60's. It's nice to go there with someone who has back ground in the area.
    One of the displays is a cockpit of an Phantom , back in the Marines I was offered a chance to go through MARCD (?), went through the introduction while in boot camp, but wasn't quite sure I wanted a 6 year enlistment. (1963-69, peaceful times back then) anyway, Q&A time I asked what planes we could look forward to flying, Captain looked a me (6-5, 210#) and said Marine, I can see you in a helicopter or a C10 transport, you're just to damn big for a jet.
    Well at the NNA I climbed (or tried to) into the Phantom cockpit, (now 6-5, 260#) and there was no way this body would have fit then, let a lone now. So back then, after thinking about it overnight, I passed. Maybe one of the better decisions in my life.
    Where we live now we get the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds here every other year over the 4th of July, like Thump, I live on the edge of a bluff about 500' above the bay, those birds come over the house low enough to wave at the pilot, shakes the windows and drives the dogs nuts.
    There is a small group of people who complain about it every year, but it draws in a few 100K tourists that love to spend $$ here that week.
    Last edited by jb; 04-06-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

That’s pretty cool!
    I bet them boys really liked that.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!