Thread: I'm just devastated......

I'm just devastated......

I wasn't going to post this, but Thump's post about his son's birthday, got me to thinking about relationships.
    Yesterday, my closest neighbor's son, 17 yrs. old, was accidentally shot and killed.....he had spent Sat. night at a friend's home with 4 or 5 other young guys, and somehow a 9mm auto pistol got involved.
    As you all are well aware, and has happened so many times, when you drop out the clip from an automatic pistol, thinking that will unload the pistol, there is that ONE round, remaining in the chamber.
    The exact events are still sketchy at this time, but the fact remains that my neighbor's only son was shot center-mass thru his chest.....he made it thru the night at the trauma center, but even after 140 units of blood, he passed away.
    Caleb was a quiet yet active youngster, and one of the best, most respectful kid's I've ever known.....he and my grandson grew up together, and played all sports together.....he was a hard-working boy, and had just got his first vehicle, a nice truck.
    Just a few weeks ago, I invited Caleb and his family, and several other families, over to my farm shop for a big crawfish boil.
    I feel so blessed to have had the chance to sit and talk with Caleb about his sports and other school activities.....he chose to sit on the seat of my parked Ranger, rather than at one of the tables, chowing down on the crawfish.
    As we talked, I remember thinking to myself, how mature and respectful he had become for a 17 yr. old young man.....he will be missed immensely out here.
    Just day'um, what a waste of kind human spirit !!!
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Damn. I am sorry for your loss.

I just had my son (19) and a buddy down at camp for the weekend and they took the ATV and a couple of guns, including my 9mm pistol up in the woods to do some shooting. While I always take a second to remind him of the safety rules, I always worry about something like this until he’s back. Let’s be safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

That a terrible accident, Eddie and I’m sorry that it happened.

thats a tough one to have to swallow, my friend.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I have reminded my grandson countless times about auto pistols and that one remaining round in the chamber.....he's very careful with his guns.....I'm more worried about HIS safety around his hunting companions.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Man, that just sucks.. Sorry for your loss..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

No words. Sorry Eddie. I can't even imagine the grief the family is experiencing right now.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Damn.

Losing a young man at any age has got to be devastating for all who were close to him. But something like that has the added horror of having it haunt those involved for the rest of their lives. One shot and so many ruined lives. Odds are that a young man of that timbre was around other good young men at the time.

I can't even begin to imagine how that would feel.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    That is tough news to read let alone be there and live it. So sorry to hear this BM.

The family just returned home from the trauma center.....they had a lot of legalities to attend to because their son, Caleb, was a minor organ donor.....I'm not very good at dealing with these type situations, but I finally got the courage to visit with Caleb's dad and mom, and the entire family is absolutely in shock and devastated.....Caleb has a big family with two teenage sisters, grandparents, and aunts and uncles, as well.....and, all of them live at various locations out here on my farm, on land which I sold them, years ago.....you couldn't ask for a better group of neighbors.....Caleb even fed Sandy for me, whenever we went out of town.
    You GHer's don't know this family, at all, but if you can spare only a small moment, please send up a short thought or prayer for this family.....I'm really concerned about their emotional welfare.
    Thanks.
    Southern Gentleman

Damn Eddie. Just damn. I'm sorry for that boy and his family, you and yours as well. Sounds like he was a great kid. The kind that gives you hope everything will be ok when we're gone. Tough news.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

This police report about the incident came out late yesterday afternoon, and pretty much finalizes it, as a terrible accident in my mind, at least.

SUNFLOWER COUNTY YOUTH KILLED IN APPARENT ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING
    By FROM STAFF REPORTS, 2350 READS
    MON, 04/08/2019 - 2:42PM

""" A 17-year-old Sunflower County youth has died as a result of a gunshot wound to the chest that he received from a 9 mm handgun early Sunday morning at a home in the 200 block of Augusta Street.

Caleb Smith, a junior at Indianola Academy, died late Sunday night at a Jackson hospital as a result of his injury.

Indianola Police Chief Edrick Hall said his department received the call around 8:34 a.m. Sunday morning about a gunshot victim and upon arrival actually spoke to Smith who told them his friend shot him, but it was an accident.

Smith was rushed to Delta Regional Medical Center in Greenville immediately following the shooting. He was later transported to a Jackson area hospital where he was listed in critical condition, and he passed away shortly after 11 p.m., said Hall.

He said a total of five youth, who were members of the Sunflower County 4-H Shooting Sports club, were at the home at the time of the incident, and the boys had been together since leaving a shooting practice on Saturday afternoon.

Hall said the weapon was brought out, but it was apparently not known that it was loaded.

According to Hall, the district attorney was called and informed of the situation and he advised them to conduct a thorough investigation so their findings can be presented when the next grand jury convenes.

Hall said his department’s investigators along with investigators from the DA’s office are working together and the investigation is ongoing.

No charges have been filed, however Hall said, “At this time, no charges are off the table."""
    Southern Gentleman

That’s a hard read Eddie. I’m so sorry for all involved.
    The parents will never get over this nor the young man that was holding the pistol.
    Take Care, Larke
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Dang.... I cannot imagine being the parents on either side of this tragedy.... very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk