I wasn't going to post this, but Thump's post about his son's birthday, got me to thinking about relationships.
Yesterday, my closest neighbor's son, 17 yrs. old, was accidentally shot and killed.....he had spent Sat. night at a friend's home with 4 or 5 other young guys, and somehow a 9mm auto pistol got involved.
As you all are well aware, and has happened so many times, when you drop out the clip from an automatic pistol, thinking that will unload the pistol, there is that ONE round, remaining in the chamber.
The exact events are still sketchy at this time, but the fact remains that my neighbor's only son was shot center-mass thru his chest.....he made it thru the night at the trauma center, but even after 140 units of blood, he passed away.
Caleb was a quiet yet active youngster, and one of the best, most respectful kid's I've ever known.....he and my grandson grew up together, and played all sports together.....he was a hard-working boy, and had just got his first vehicle, a nice truck.
Just a few weeks ago, I invited Caleb and his family, and several other families, over to my farm shop for a big crawfish boil.
I feel so blessed to have had the chance to sit and talk with Caleb about his sports and other school activities.....he chose to sit on the seat of my parked Ranger, rather than at one of the tables, chowing down on the crawfish.
As we talked, I remember thinking to myself, how mature and respectful he had become for a 17 yr. old young man.....he will be missed immensely out here.
Just day'um, what a waste of kind human spirit !!!