Thread: Had a little down time, this week.....

Had a little down time, this week.....

Had a little down time, this week, so I finished up my gobbler mount.....I used an old weathered cypress board, and the injun beads motif.....got the idea for the cut leg bone and bleached spurs from a buddy.....now, if wifey will just allow me about another 18 square inches of wall space, I'm good to go.

Big 2019 Gobbler.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-12-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Nice work Muddy. Its either the pic or dumbass me but I’m missing the spurs and legbone part.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, pic got a little blurry when posting.....spurs are mounted on each side of the MS plaque.....white leg bones with the spurs pointing left and right.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I'm not trying to be denigrating, but turkey hunting has never appealed to me. I've heard people that hunt big game all over the world say that turkey hunting is the most exciting sport there is. I would think that a charging 2000 lb cape buffalo would be a trifle more exciting, but maybe that's just me. I'm sure that Eddie and Cap wish there were more people that didn't hunt gobblers, that would mean a more generous limit and longer seasons for them.

Nowadays most of my excitement comes in the form of a cup of decaf and checking in on Goodhunting in the morning. Shows you what a dull existence I live in.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I’ve never applied myself to turkey hunting. I tried spring turkey hunting when I was in my teens and turkey populations were taking off like a rocket where I lived. Too many skeets and gnats for that kind of hunting for me. Plus, one minute you are trying to not bat an eyelash for fear of spooking them and the next minute you might walk into thirty of them that are oblivious. I rounded a corner on a two track one fall day muzzleloader hunting and almost ran slap into about a hundred of them. They a ted like I wasn’t even there.
    I’m not a big fan of eating them either. Larke’s sweetie makes the very best turkey salad in the universe. That, or smoking just the breast are the only ways I can eat them.
    I like the pics and stories of otherfolksthat like to chase ‘em!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

^^^"I'm not trying to be denigrating"^^^

So, you're trying to not be a "de-nig-er-ator".....besides leading a dull existence, you're trying not to be a racist, too?????

(sorry, QA, I couldn't help myself.....that's just a weird word to me.)
    (just kiddin' with ya.)
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-13-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Barry, I've only been turkey hunting for about 12 years.....if I never shoot another gobbler, I'm fine with that.....to me, it's no longer about killing a gobbler.....it's all about being able to call them within killing distance, and out-smarting them.....I'm the same way about fishing.....I'll leave a perfectly hot fishing spot, motor down the lake, and try to out-smart them in another spot.....but, that's just me.

And, there's nothing better than a wild turkey breast, I don't care HOW it's cooked !!!
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-13-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

I can certainly understand that. I have several friends who sit around their living rooms practicing their calling and driving their wives crazy. I used to do the same with a duck call. I must’ve driven her right over the edge because she divorced me.
    (I keep telling myself it was my ‘pussy trance mallard hen’)

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

^^^^^HAHA^^^^^
    Southern Gentleman

My hunting partner in Ohio begged me for years to go up and turkey hunt with him. I never had the slightest interest. One year, I finally went up just to shut the f’er up and I became instantly hooked! I’m with Muddy, they’re generally smart birds and most of the challenge is learning to “talk” to them and being able convince them to walk up to you ready to fight or fuck ... depending on the call.

As for eating them. We’d cut the breasts out and leave the rest for the ‘possums. We’d hunt morels and make mushroom gravy to eat with the turkey breast.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Nice job, Ed..

I'm closing in on a hundred and have probably called in three times that many more for others.. Love it.. Son was here for the weekend and I'll have sil and two buddies to call for before it's over. I have two tags myself.

20190413_063705.jpg

lol.. first time I've ever had the "sideways" thing.. somebody's sister?

As far as eating them.. I couldn't stand pitching the legs and thighs so I developed a recipe to utilize them. It's been a hit everywhere. I gave it to a guy who owns a turkey call company. They had been throwing away up to 60 pairs a year. He contacted me a year later and asked if they could publish it in their company literature.. Said it was a huge hit among the staff and customers.

Here's something I did with some of the better spurs I had laying around.

Spurs.jpg

and here's some wing bone calls I made for son, sil and "adopted" son from turkeys they'd shot.

100_1442.JPG
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Pretty sure Posthole would convert those wing bone calls to a walleye whistle in about 30 seconds
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Dang Hidey-Ho, I seem to have misplaced Bwana's sister's phone number ... but I'm sure there's someone here who can send it to you.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain