Thread: Two questions

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Two questions

1)WTH is going on with gas prices? It’s gone up 70 cents in the last three months. The Valdez hasn’t sunk lately. Nobody has bombed any oil refinery’s. The Mideast isn’t isn’t in any more turmoil than usual, so what gives?

2) why is it that no matter where you go, no matter what you order, when you eat Mexican/Tex-mex, the only two sides they offer is refried beans and Spanish rice? If they would broaden their menu they would rule the world. How about tater tots with salsa verde to go with your enchilada? Or corn on the cob with an ancho butter sauce.

No wonder Mexicans are swimming the rio grande, they’re hunting an decent side dish to go with their burritos
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I just saw in the news last night that $4/gallon may be a possibility again. Personally, I like beans and rice, but some chili cheese tater tots would definitely get my attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

“US crude oil is up 51% since December 24. American sanctions on Iran and Venezuela and fighting in Libya have combined with a cutback on oil production by OPEC nations to drive up the price of oil.” #MAGA

Curmudgeon. Ok, problem number two is easy. First, WTF is TexMex any damn way. Mesquite grilled beef rib tacos? If you want Mexican, eat where you see MEXICANS eating. Easy-peasy!

Or come on down here. We’ll go out for some FlaThai!

This place here is lousy with Mexicans, they're everywhere. Two Tyson plants within 20 miles of me and about 1000 chicken houses, you can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting 14 Mexicans. They're at Sonic, Burger King, KFC and every little hole in the wall eating joint. It'd be harder to find a place they don't eat. Morning noon and night you'll see about a brazillion of them in Walmart and Super 1. So according to your logic, everywhere is a mexican eating establishment.

I still don't know why they don't serve sides that aren't bean or rice related.

You''d have your work cut out for you if you carried me to a Thai restaurant. I'm at 235 but I eat like I'm a big ole boy when it comes to Thai
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Do they flood into Taco Bell also? I was bein' a smartass. I figure if you guys can have Tex(as)Mex(ican) ... I'll have some Florida/Thai. (neither of them make sense to me)

Odd thing is, I used to practically live in Mexico (Baja), even had a place on the beach in Rosarito, plus a nice set-up in Ensinada if I wanted to go a little farther down the coast. I usually averaged spending every other weekend down there. I LOVE Mexican food ... IN MEXICO. In the states, it's waaaaay down toward the bottom of my list of favorite cuisines. It just ain't the same. Don't get me wrong, I have a few little hidey-holes I know of where I can get some good Mexican food locally, but I'm usually the only white boy in there when I go.

I have two sisters, bros-in-law and a slew of nieces and nephews in Houston. I always get a kick out of them when they say they want to go out for TexMex. WTF is TexMex? Tacos or burritos served with beans and rice?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I grew up in what is now (and has been since the 70’s) poultry country. The chicken processing plants in the region were generally steady employers. Then the poultry companies decided to reduce costs and now immigrants from mexico and central america make up most of their employee bases. How Tyson has avoided charges for some of the stuff they did with illegals really makes you wonder who’s palm is getting greased.
    Its also brought some amazing food places. There is one here in my town that started with four tables and over the years has grown, along with their family, to a new building and a genuine restaurant. They serve menudo every friday and every mexican in town can be found there when they do.
    They’ve become one of the most popular places in town for mexican food because of the authenticity.

I’m more of a Monterrey style mexican food lover than I am the other regions.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I figure TexMex is like your typical Italian restaurant in the US which is fairly Americanized. As for Menudo, I’ll stick to Pho when I’m in the mood for tripe.

I'm with you CD. I will admit, I've had some kick-ass Menudo, but I hate to go through the trial and error phase to find it. That goes for here in the states as well as Mexico actually. It's just my personal taste preference I'm sure as I stopped in a place in Roswell, New Mexico once that was FULL of Mexicans (or maybe Aliens!) who all swore it was the best Menudo in town. Of course I ordered a bowl and couldn't stand it! It may be different regions, or just me, but I love a GOOD (IMHO) bowl of Menudo, I just have a hard time finding one. Give me Pho anyolddamnday!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I actually had some work colleagues out on the left coast take me to a vegan Mexican place. I’m not sure if it was authentic or not and I can live without meat every meal. But, no cheese? On Mexican? Blech. When I got to the airport the next day, I had to get a bacon cheeseburger just to rinse the taste out of my mouth.

If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Reckon they’ve ever eaten menudo?
    Albert Einstein

Welp... we know the one on the left eats the first 3 letters of that word
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Two questions

Am I supposed to know who the one on the left is?

Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 04-12-2019 at 11:48 AM.

And is that their left or ours?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Aren’t most butt-bandits usually on the left?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Am I supposed to know who the one on the left is?

Ricky Martin. Livin la vida loca?

So gay now he makes Jimmy look like a fine upstanding citizen in his pink pants.