Thread: Some people are like sheep I guess.

Some people are like sheep I guess.

I listed an item on eBay yesterday afternoon and it sold in just a matter of a few hours. I won't go into detail because I've been busted before by a buyer doing a net search of a specific item, but let's just say, I usually "push the envelope" a bit when initially listing an item, price wise that is. If it doesn't sell after a reasonable amount of time, I lower the price in small increments over a period of time until it does sell ... OR I reach a price I simply determine as the least I'll accept. Long story short, I listed a slightly beat up, chipped, scratched, stained and obviously used item for $47.50. It sold immediately! I'm happy and the buyer seems to be happy, so what's the gig? The same persact item sells BRAND SPANKIN' NEW at Wally World for $51.00. I couldn't tell you how many times this has happened. I don't get it, but I ain't complaining.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Prolly because your skillet(?) was well-seasoned.....however, the buyer has no idea that your's was seasoned with squid and tripe drippings, and smells like pig turds.

He'll be calling you.....do you offer refunds???
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-21-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Actually, they were 4' long wooden items with one wide flat end that one might use to propel a canoe through the water for example.

Oooops, I misspoke, they're $52 ($26 each) at Wally World, not $51. Ok, maybe I understand now.

(Two would qualify for free shipping)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beaver-Br...?selected=true

Well, you gotta admit one thing.....you are much more famous and well-known for hawking skillets, than canoe propulsion.
    Southern Gentleman

Actually I'm a man of many talents. You'd be surprised and the various, totally unrelated things I sell!

I dare say that nobody here at GH would be totally surprised at ANYTHING that you sell.

And, I might add, you're day'um good at it, too. !!!!!
    Southern Gentleman

I’m working on perfecting my line of b/s. I want to move into the Alaskan market as I’m sure there are plenty of Eskimos who need freezers in their igloos!

How do you fit a canoe paddle in a first class envelope?

Very carefully!
    bKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Funny you should bring that up P-hole. One of the major goals of this Ebay gig is controlling costs .... such as shipping costs. My garage is stacked floor to ceiling with cardboard boxes that I pick up at Wally World, grocery stores, you name it. I have a few friends who do ALL their shopping on Amazon and they all save boxes for me. I find packaging tape and an occasional roll of bubble wrap from estate sales. Lynn has people bring tons of bubble wrap to her at work. Companies have trade shows, etc. at the Convention Center and the “clean-up people” bring her all the bubble wrap and packing materials left behind. Plus, like most hotels, hers supplies a daily newspaper to each guest room, so if I’m low, she’ll bring home a 3-foot stack of newspaper anytime I need it. Also, part of my eBay store subscription includes $25 worth of packing materials (boxes, padded envelopes, bubble wrap, packing tape, etc) every 90-days.

That said, odd sized boxes are tougher to come by. I had the original box for my Rem. 22.250 that Big Sky bought a while back and guess what? It could pass as being custom built for those paddles! They were 48” paddles and the box was 49” long! The box was 1” wider than the widest part of the paddles and there was the perfect amount of space for the paddles and a bit of padding!

I pay zilch for packing supplies. It may sound insignificant, but I save a TON of money that way which is substantial considering I’ve shipped over 7000 packages so far!