Thread: Get your waders out, Muddy..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

Get your waders out, Muddy..

Near record levels in the Mississippi above me, more to come.. and 4 1/2" of rain over the past 36 hours. I have two ways out from my house. One is flooded and we're driving through water on the other.. Threw my first sandbag in 1965.. Done it a dozen times since.. Couple of us "old timers" have made the decision - we aren't throwing any more.. I've mostly just "pointed and yelled", and let the young guys throw the bags, on the last two floods.. If it comes to a flood effort.. I'm going to sit on the deck, drink whiskey and smoke cigars..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Keep your powder dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

The whole Arkansas River watershed through Oklahoma and Arkansas just got pole axed with rain too, so there’s a buttload coming your way from that direction too!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Levee broke and flooded downtown Davenport, Iowa this morning. Sounds like a real mess. Hope all here fare well.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Davenport (about an hour above me) has got a mess. They have declined for years to build a flood wall - based almost 100% on esthetics.. Last few years they have been putting up "Hesco" temporary flood barriers.. It's been working - failed this time. If all goes well they will probably be able to contain it two a couple blocks (mostly small business district) down town.. Problem was - it came with no warning.. There will be lots of "flood cars" to watch out for..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 05-01-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

When the roads flooded us out, last month, I told my wife she had a choice.....ride a horse, a jon boat, a tractor, or move to the lake house until the water receded.....wise decision on going to the lake house.....stayed there 2 weeks, and didn't have to worry about our resident house because nobody could get out here, with the roads under 4 feet of water.

Actually, we should be in pretty good shape, this time around, unless it rains, locally, 12 inches in 24 hours, like it did, last month.....there's still a half million acres of totally flooded farm land in the south delta, 70 miles south of here, that will NOT get planted in any crop, this year.

There's approx. 900 million acres of farm land in the U.S.....I'm no economic guru, but it appears that there is going to be several million acres of farm land across the nation, which will NOT get planted, this year.....particularly, hard hit is the corn crop, which affects all aspects of our food chain..... so be prepared for higher prices at your grocery stores, this year.....jmho.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 05-01-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

And then there are those pesky tariffs prohibiting us from filling the gap with purchases from other countries.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    On a related note (related to BM's last post) it was reported earlier this week that the American Farmer gets only 14.something cents of every dollar in food costs. The remaining amount is comprised of advertising, processing, etc.

Now what was this post originally about???

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I wouldn’t mind paying a little more if I knew a hard working farmer was getting some of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Our farming/food system is upside down and I would imagine farmers would be the first to want to see it right side up.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I love my tariffs.
    Go Trump!
    MEGA
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I love my tariffs.
    Go Trump!
    MEGA
    Ummm, I think that would be MAGA.