Thread: Bill's Stick..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

Bill's Stick..

An editor once described my writing as diarrhea(tic).. "I never know exactly what will come out or when it will end.".

Dedicated To A Friend I Never Met..

I like to keep stuff around (okay, my wife would call it hoarding). But, I like it when I look at something and it “takes me somewhere” (at my age, usually “back”). I especially like to keep stuff around that belonged to someone else, most especially old friends that are no longer here.

I have a few heirlooms from both my great grandfathers, several from my grandfathers. I have a wooden decoy from John Zippe. A book, “Shotgunning, The Art And Science” was given to me by Elwood Rechkemmer - sits on the shelf by my desk and I look at it often. I have a couple fishing reels that belonged to Joe Carter, a fishing rod that was Bill Beeding’s, a knife that was Spider Malcom’s. I have #14 cast iron skillet given to me by Carl Wykert.. Carl’s gone - the skillet will outlive us all. All are treasured possessions, and only, just because, I like that they are “here”..

A number of years ago, I joined an internet site – at that time dedicated to mostly, hunting.. fishing on the side. Like most early sites – it had “forums” - a number of them. As with most, everyone gravitated to one – this one called “Campfire Chat”.. pretty much like a real campfire, where everyone one talked about everything and damn what the “original” subject was.. Here I “met” Bill Conine. Bill was a gentle soul – always enjoyed his comments, his insight and especially his sense of humor.

While I tend to shy away from personal stuff on the internet – when you get to “know” people there, things come out. Bill lost his dad during this period and as they did the obligatory scattering of possessions, Bill found a pair of Irish Setter “Kangaroo” hunting boots - likely never worn. He put out the word, to all at the campfire; they were available to anyone who could use them. It turned out I was the only one with “normal” size feet (8 EE) so he sent them to me.. wouldn’t even let me pay the postage. I had them a lot of years. I wore them out. Unfortunately, during this period, Bill wore out, too.. and we lost him

My darling (first) wife puts up with a lot, but I was having trouble justifying three or four pair of worn out boots, so I decided to have a ceremonial burning (whiskey was involved). Just as I was ready to throw Bill’s (dad’s) boots on the fire, I thought, “I’m going to grab those shoestrings – maybe I can do something with them.” (okay – maybe a “tiny bit” hoarder)

To make a long story short (I know – we’re way past that- but I get paid (or I used to) by the word) I decided maybe they’d make a grip on a walking stick..

The stick - it started out as just a “stick”. Anyone who works with wood, in any way, will be able to relate. It was a piece of hard maple.. stripped, sanded and finished.. it just really never developed a “life”. It got stuck to the back of the pile as an “also ran”. Then, when I went looking for “Bill’s Stick”, for some reason, it caught my eye.. it needed something – an arrow head? .. done – no - not really.. let’s go all out and grind in a mushroom.. still looked like a “stick” and so (you’re running out of chances “stick”) - I got out the torch.. Finally, it began to take on a little character.. maybe a “re-finish” – a little shine. Bill's shoestrings became a grip. Maybe a little “color”.. a lanyard (a four strand, braided by my granddaughter, Shay) (I can do it.. that piece would have taken me two days – she did it in 20 minutes) added a little color.. So, still not sure it’s "done".. but it is, officially, now.. “The C09 – Bill’s stick”.

Took her out for a shake-down cruise.. Maiden voyage.. She’s a natural..

Happy Hunting, Bill.

20190513_145909.jpg

20190513_151005.jpg
    Last edited by HideHunter; 05-13-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I had the pleasure of hunting with Bill one weekend and he was there when my oldest got his first buck. I’ll always remember that weekend for both reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Bill's Stick..

Awesome story HH. And that is one dandy looking walking stick!
    Also a great way to pay tribute to a fine southern gentleman, like Bill.

Well done on all accounts, Gene. And I believe it was around this time of year four years ago, that we lost Niner.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Man that just takes it to a great level.
    Bill and I were really close and hunted together for many years.
    Co9’s wife was/is a angel for sure. Even when he got sick she drove him all the way to my farm in SC and left him with me for a week and drove all the way back to get him. Most of that week he hunted off an electric golf cart I had.
    He was determined to get into a tower stand and by the end of the week he did. I’ve got a picture of him here looking out of the stand.
    He told his wife to send me all his turkey calls when he passed on and she did. I carry one of them in my vest every time I go out.
    That was a great post and gesture on your part.
    I know he is smiling at your thoughtfulness and I can here him saying “It’s all Bush’s fault!”
    Take Care, Captain
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Love it

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I'm sure glad I popped in today. I very much enjoyed reading the post and the thread. I think often about Bill and it's all good thoughts..

HH your timing was perfect on this thread.
    I sent Mrs Niner a link to this thread.
    She sent me this reply.
    “Your timing is perfect, as usual. Last Sat. would have been our 35th wedding anniversary, and the next day was the 4th anniversary of his passing. It was a very, very long weekend for me....and no one here remembered but me.

I’m truly honest when I tell you that nothing could do as much to soothe my aching heart as you guys remembering him, especially at this time.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me—I really needed that right now more than you know. You guys are so very special. Please send my love to the crew. ❤️”
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

And back at ya, Mrs Niner.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Howdy, Di! I hope you are doing well!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    perfect... Thnx Cap'n..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 05-25-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Prayers for you Di and a big hug!