Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry, Trav, keep your head down buddy !!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar

Barry, Trav, keep your head down buddy !!

All the news can talk about up here is the crap you're in now or stuff headed your way.
    Stay safe and all the others down there.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Yeah, report in when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Most of the bad stuff so far has been generally north and west of us. That occluded front is about to us now though so shit is getting real.
    This is the 6th anniversary of the Moore tornado that killed 24. They closed most of the schools today anticipating the bad weather,
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Barry be like...

There are storms everywhere tonight but I think the big story is that the gulf of mexico just fell on the central plains. And everything was already full.
    Big floods. I think we got four inches of rain at my house in a couple hours.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Busy morning! Trav you need to check in.
    Woke to tornado sirens this morning with naders just a couple miles north and south with one looking like it was headed towards Trav.

here’s the real story though. We were saturated with lakes running +15-20’ in this region already before this hit.I live right about where the 5.01” mark is.

BKb

731321F8-045C-45FB-854E-FD929A87A8D5.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    That's a damn lot of water to deal with. Maybe that's a good reason not to have a basement.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    That's a damn lot of water to deal with. Maybe that's a good reason not to have a basement.
    They need the basements to hide from the 'naders! Tough choice ... blow away to Oz ... or drown.

Hope all is well with you guys. Stay in touch.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

We don’t have a lot of houses with basements here. Our bedrock is limestone and not very deep. I don’t know the particulars but for some reason that’s not conducive to a dry basement.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I am fine, the rotation went right over us but I am in Boston this week. The back side of my neighborhood flooded but I am on higher ground so I should be dry. I am at the airport waiting for my flight home now.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Ahhhh, Boston ... one of my favorite old hang-outs! Spent a lot of time around The Commons. A bunch of us would get drunk and head straight for the "Combat Zone" back in the day. They've cleaned the area up since then (it ain't called the Combat Zone anymore) and I think it's China Town nowadays. I remember getting so drunk one night, I fell asleep on the subway and when I woke up, we'd hit the end of the line and they had the train on some sort of giant turntable spinning the thing around to head back to where it came from! Heck, I had to ride the thing all the way back into town to get off at my stop! I had a buddy from Brooklyn, NY and he "knew somebody, who knew somebody, who knew somebody" and he'd get us into Joe Namath's joint (Bachelor's III) so we could oggle at the wimmins. It was a couple doors down from the Playboy Club and all a bunny had to do was show her card at the door and all her drinks were on the house. The PB Club was huge and I think there must have been more bunnies in the place than Bachelor's III waitresses (who were super hot themselves)! Wow! Things were easier back then and being a "little bit" under-aged wasn't the big obstacle it is these days (especially if you knew somebody, who knew somebody, who knew somebody!). Man-o-man, talk about memories. Ha!. I even remember taking a gal I met there to the theater in Boston to see "The Godfather" when it was first released.

I think back and sometimes wonder how I ever lived through my younger, "formative" years!

Oh, but I digress ... I hope all is well on the home front when you get there!

Every thing was good here, I cannot say the same for some of my neighbors. A few had significant flood damage.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

Wow! That front has been stirring up some nasty ones. Scary stuff. We have weeks to prepare for a hurricane, but those naders are nasty and give only a few seconds or .... minutes at most.

We have quite a few places that have had 10+” of rain in the past week. Areas like Fort Smith Arkansas are getting flooded and they didn’t even get the storms we got. The whole system is full.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Man this was posted a week ago and you folks still haven't gotten out from under it! I hope you get some sun and mild temps soon.

Will

The river that runs through my deer lease has been out of its banks for almost a week now. I assume the farmers had already planted their soybeans so I am not sure what all this water means for those. Hopefully my 2 tower blinds are safe, they were anchored down pretty good.

I don’t think the Arkansas River at Tulsa has crested yet. Its already surpassed a record set in 1945, before the lock and dam system was installed (there 15 of them on the Arkansas). This morning Julie and I drove to Poteau for my step Dad’s 80th birthday. On that drive we cross the Arkansas three times each way. The flooding in Muskogee, where three major rivers meet, was terrible. The turnpike was closed for a mile onthe south bound side where the water was over the road. These pics don’t do it justice. The first is at Three Forks in Muskogee and the second is at a lock called Kerr Lake.
    Its kind of easy to see how river beds used to meander over the years before we ‘tamed’ them.
    We tamed them all right.
    Personally I think the Corps of Engineers fucked this thing up. That just MHO.

BkB

2499D7EB-D350-4EA7-8AC8-20E529A4B5B2.jpg
    80979962-A55F-4B32-A669-B5F87789ACA8.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

There’s a lot of money being spent around here undoing the work the Corps did in the past. It turns out channeling rivers and streams is not the way to go.

Personally, I think the Corps does (and has done) a pretty good job through the years. Hey, NOBODY or NO THING can totally control Mother Nature and it doesn't matter what you do, you'll never hit 100% as there's nothing man made that won't be overwhelmed at some point. There are also rules, regulations, laws and general knowledge that change over time and some of their projects have been around for a LOT of years. Heck, my mom used to lather all us kids up with baby oil (to "protect" us) when we'd hit the beach, then send us out in the sun to sizzle like a slab of bacon. These days, that would border on child abuse! That said, I think we'd be in a bigger pickle without the Corps than with, but you can't expect technology and situations from the 1910's to be up to par with today's needs, technology and understanding of drainage systems. Like anything else, it's great when everything operates as designed, but disastrous when it doesn't. Or in some cases, can't.

I also think POLITICS has a HUGE impact on some of the failures attributed to the Corps. Like Washington fat cats who called the shots in Vietnam and ignored their Generals, they also ignore their Corps. Engineers when there's a big fat pork barrel project for some Congressman's particular interest. They say "do it", the Corps will say "it's not smart" and guess who wins? Same with my analogy to 'Nam ... Congress says "do it", the Generals say "it's not smart" ... guess who "wins" in the end?

You can add the EPA to the list of governmental idiots.....they have effectively and single-handedly allowed the flooding of thousands of homes and 600,000 acres of farmland in the southern MS Delta.....I saw the flooding down there last week with my own eyes.....EPA has caused an absolute catastrophe.

I won't elaborate, but if you're interested, here's what they did(or, didn't do):

> a flood control project was approved by Congress to alleviate this flood problem, years ago.
    > the COE completed the dam construction, ahead of the installation of the pumps
    > EPA reared it's ugly head and rejected the installation of the pumps because of some mussels
    > the dam is backing out the floodwaters onto homes and farmland, and there are no pumps to move the floodwater out to the MS River

https://www.epa.gov/cwa-404/yazoo-ba...-pumps-project

http://www.msleveeboard.com/index.ph...kwater-project
    Southern Gentleman

I won’t argue that they probably were doing what was thought to be the best thing at the time. At least here in the east where I’m familiar, that has turned out to make a lot of the problems worse or to have had significant unintended consequences. As a result, a lot of cash is being spent undoing much of what was done. You know what they say about hind sight...

These folks don’t need anything un-done, they just need the day’um pumps installed !!!

It’s like EPA allowed a bath tub to be built and installed, then rejected the installation of the day’um drain plug.

So in reading through the links, it looks like the folks who live there agree with the EPA.

from comments re eived by EPA...

The response to EPA’s PD has been impressive. EPA received approximately 47,600 comment letters including approximately 1,500 individual comment letters and 46,100 mass mailers.1 Of these 47,600 comments, 99.91 percent urged EPA to prohibit the proposed pumps project and approximately 0.084 percent supported construction of the proposed pumps project. Looking at the 1,500 individual letters, 97.29 percent urged EPA to prohibit the proposed pumps project and 2.52 percent supported construction of the proposed pumps project. Within the state of Mississippi, approximately 461 residents submitted written comments during the public comment period or spoke at the public hearing. Of these, 417 expressed support for EPA’s proposal and 43 favored construction of the pumps. EPA Headquarters received two additional comment letters from private citizens living within the project area on July 26, 2007; both letters expressed support for the proposed project.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Bet the owners of the 600,000 flooded acres of farmland don’t agree
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Well, I read it and don’t see where the 600,000 acres of cropland is mentioned.

The EPA is often wrong! But I’m not sure about the facts here. The project was held up from 1986 to 2008 by funding, just fyi.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha, those 46,100 EPA "mass mailers" were prolly answered by every tree-hugger in the U.S., and they didn't know the least thing about the project.....

Tpost, of course there's no mention of the 600,000 acres of flooded farmland.....EPA wants you to only see and believe their statistics.....read the other link from the MS Levee board, not just the EPA propoganda.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 05-29-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I know it was mentioned here a while back about food prices due to all of the flooded crop land that won’t get planted this year and that I’ve known we’ve had a lot of rain here too, but I didn’t realize how wet everything was until I started noticing that there is very little that is planted around here as well. I noticed that all the way from where I live near the Michigan border to Indianapolis less than 10%of the fields I could see from the highway has even been touched. It was pretty much the same when I drove out to Springfield, MO a couple weeks ago.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Here's the Yazoo backwater, affecting these folks without the pump project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NUspsND2HY
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    We are unbelievably wet here. I've been on this old sand farm since 1963 and there is water standing in places I've never seen it. I recently took on a CoCoRaHS rain gauge. Today marks two week since I have had no precipitation to report. I have some very good friends who have one of the biggest hog operations in the US. The run a grain handling facility during harvest and all the grain they do not use themselves, they sell and ship by barge. They just told me they haven't been able to ship any grain since harvest.. I forget the number of bushels they told me they have to go. (huge). here's the kicker - they're considering keeping it all. Of the 5600 +- acres I help combine.. approximately 900 acres is in the ground.. It's wet.. and the 10 day forecast doesn't show much better..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

More evidence of this "man-made" MS flood:

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...QTOdsU1LevAQo8
    Southern Gentleman