Thread: Last 'bugs of the season.....

Last 'bugs of the season.....

I did 12 training meetings in Loozana, this year, and I brought back a sack of mudbugs each time.....I thought I'd almost got burned out on them.....almost, but not quite.....these are wild-caught, not farm-raised, and are the biggest and best of the year.....most of these were so big, I actually got to crack and eat the claws, too !!!
    I made some crawfish etouffee', too, and served it over basmati aromatic rice, which was larrupin'.

mubugs1.0.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 05-25-2019 at 12:58 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Good looking eats! Is there really a season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Yee Haw! Was at a National DU convention in Biloxi first time I tried them. Billy Joe Cross (did a couple cook books) taught me how to shuck them.. Good chewing..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 05-25-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Small world, Hide.....Billy Joe was one of my best fishing buddies.....he gave me a copy of each cookbook he wrote, and I use his recipes quite frequently.....one of the good guys, for sure.
    Southern Gentleman

That makes me hongry. And the mud ugs are fine, but I like all the other stuff they dump out on the table too!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha, that other stuff is just filler material.....takes up too much belly room from the 'bugs.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    That makes me hongry. And the mud ugs are fine, but I like all the other stuff they dump out on the table too! BKB
    Looks to me like it makes you DOUBLE hongry!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Sigh. Hidehunter has his personal gnat cloud. Captain has too many gates to open and close behind him. Len only has half his toothpicks.
    And I have Thumper.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Small world, Hide.....Billy Joe was one of my best fishing buddies.....he gave me a copy of each cookbook he wrote, and I use his recipes quite frequently.....one of the good guys, for sure.
    Well, cool.. I have one of his around here, somewhere. Wife "hid" it during the kitchen remodel and it hasn't resurfaced. That convention was the only time I ever met him.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Sigh. Hidehunter has his personal gnat cloud. Captain has too many gates to open and close behind him. Len only has half his toothpicks.
    And I have Thumper.

BKB
    Which brings up another question..?.. Any of you folks, scattered around the country, deal with "buffalo gnats"? We've had the little non-biting "dog pecker" gnats for as long as I've been around. This new "souped -up" version is relatively new (last 20-30 years) and they get worse every year. Miserable sons-a-bitches.. and they *love* me..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Wait a danged minute! Are you comparing me to a dog-pecker gnat?

Hide, they're notorious down here, too, and get worse each year.....I absolutely loathe, wearing insect repellants, so I've had to resort to wearing one of those nerdy-looking head nets, while I'm fishing.....I've found that Germ-X works just as good as insect repellants, and not nearly as messy on your skin or eyeglasses.
    A couple of my buddies are allergic to buff gnat bites, and the bite sites swell up really bad.....one buddy's face swelled so bad that he had to go to the ER for a steroid shot.
    Southern Gentleman

I had to look them up to see what you were talking about. I’d never heard them called anything but black flies. My closest encounter was a June fish camp at Lake Saganaga in the arrowhead part of Minnesota. The outfitter warned us about them and then sold us repellent along with stuff to put on after they bit you. I thought it was hilarious at the time and have kept both bottles since 1990 when we were there. As I found out that week of camping, once you figured out you’d been bit you’d already been had and in a bad way.
    47D8D33C-6930-47A7-97E6-68F87A4A3649.jpg

And here’s a ‘no shit’ stpry. We had a lot of rain that week and had to break camp with everything wet. When we got back to Oklahoma I set our tent up in the yard to dry out. One of those bastards flew out of that tent and bit me on the back of my calf. Made a knot like a marble, the fucker.

I hate those things. We have the ankle biters lurking in the bottom of the boat here but not the black flies.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Deet won't touch them.. Most of the "remedies" around here are vanilla based. They'll work, to some extent on a mild infestation. When they really get cooking - nothing (I've found) will keep them at bay, short of wind or a full head net.

I've never seen Germ X in this part of the country.. I see Ethyl Alcohol is the active ingredient.. I need to check that out.

I never knew if the infamous "black flies" of the north were the same critter. I googled it.. May order a bottle of one or the other "north" repellents.

Oh, and Barry.. those ankle biters.. I have a fly swatter in the boat and carry a can of Dairy Bomb for when they really get bad.. I never realized how many freaking biting bugs we fight.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 05-26-2019 at 11:21 AM.

As for ankle biters....my buddies that go with me on my trip up north every year make fun of my because when I take my boat, northern pike are not allowed to pass over the gunnels unless they’re trophy fish.
    When you’re fishing for a week, about the third day or so if you’ve slimed your carpets with those hammer handles the ankle biters come out in squadrons.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I guess I learned sumpin' new. I thought you were just talking about a different breed of dog pecker gnats. I thought black flies were a whole 'nuther ball game. My first experience with black flies was in Canada while bear hunting. Those nasty little fuckers TORE MY ASS UP! Man, gnats are just irritating as f'ck, but those black flies take a chunk out'ta ya' when they bite. I'd take a frigging mosquito over those things ANY day if I had a choice. When I returned from my first bear hunt back in the early 80's, I went back to work looking like I'd been shot with bird shot! My ears were destroyed and swollen to twice their normal size with oozing sores and scabs covering every square inch. I went up the same time every year and that seemed to be the worst year ever, so I guess the numbers vary from year to year. I remember they were even driving the moose crazy and they'd spend more time swimming around in the little cove in front of our cabin than they did eating! I'm pretty sure they were simply trying to escape being eaten alive by those f'ing flies!

TBH, I didn't even know they came down that far south and thought they were just a Yankee skeeter on steroids. I'd never experienced those things in my life until going to Canada. I hope that doesn't mean they're spreading and working their way down here. Florida has enough flying critters, so the last thing we need is those flying cannibals! I'll take a blood sucker over an actual biter any day.

Love some crawfish étouffée.
    If I ever get to put tracks in the mud around your part of the country I’ll let you fix me some.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Load yo butt up, and mosey on down here.
    Crawfish are boiling, huge bream crappie and catfish are biting, and the nekkid dancing girls will be lining up at sundown.

Crawdads and nekkid wimmins a killer combo!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Dang Big Muddy, that's some fine looking fixin's. You're welcome to bring some of those to my backyard barbeques any time. I'll supply the beer.

Will

Muddy’s wife sent me this.... looks like ole BM has a good setup for eating them things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s got a nice cement pond too!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

He’s got a nice cement pond too!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Evidently he has TWO cement ponds!

Those bugs are too much dang work! Just give me a coupl'a big ol' lobsters so I don't have to spend so much quality time f'in around!