.... ask 10 people the same question and you'll likely get 10 different answers?

I purchased a new, commercial Bunn coffee decanter at a thrift store and am getting ready to list it on eBay. The problem is, there is nothing on the decanter that mentions what volume (number of cups) it holds. No biggie ... or so I thought. I simply googled Bunn images and matched it up. Well, sorta. Some are advertised as 64 ounces and some are advertised as 12-cup decanters. The IMAGES all look identical. Ok, I decide I'll simply fill the decanter and see what it holds. Problem is, it does not have numbered markings ... so what is considered "full"? I guessed at it and came up with 64-ounces ... I think. Ok, how many "cups" of coffee is 64-ounces? Lynn says they have Starbucks at the hotel and a "cup" of coffee is 12 ounces. Ok, ummmm ... that comes out to 5.333333 cups! That ain't right. I decided to Google it. Sheeesh! Now I'm REALLY confused.

Here are the answers that came up:

1) "close to" 4-ounces
2) 5-ounces
3) 5.07-ounces
4) 6-ounces
5) 8-ounces
6) 8.12-ounces

Now, to add to the confusion, in many countries a "cup" of coffee is 8.45-ounces.
Canada? 7.6-ounces.
Japan? 6.76-ounces.
I'll stop with that as out of 20 frigging countries I looked at, they all had a different opinion of what 1-cup of coffee amounted to.

I could have continued my search and probably came up with even more confusing numbers, but I all of a sudden had a stroke of genius. I'll simply look up what is considered a "cup" by the different manufacturers of coffee makers. Here's what I found:

Ounces per Cup in Popular Coffee Maker Brands:

Bunn: 5 oz

Bodum (Vacuum): 5.7 oz

Capresso: 5 oz

Cona: 5.5 oz to 5.7 oz

Cuisinart: 5 oz

Krups: 5 oz

Proctor Silex: 4.5 oz

Technivorm: 4.2 oz

Zojirushi: 5.1 oz

WTF??????? Does ANYBODY drink a 4-5-ounce cup of coffee? To add to the confusion, most coffee maker manufacturers and even the coffee suppliers (like the back of a can of Maxwell House Coffee) have directions which state the amount of coffee grounds to use for every 6-ounces of water! So, is 6-ounces a cup? This should be simple ... the item I have is made by and for Bunn coffee makers. All matching decanters I have seen are advertised as either 12-cup or 64-ounces and are supposedly the same exact decanters. Ok, 64 divided by 12 is .... WTF? 5.333333! The same thing Lynn told me is a 12-ounce "cup" of coffee at Starbucks! Now, if I sell an item on eBay and my ad is incorrect, I can get gigged for the inaccuracy. I can also get screwed if the buyer decides I b/s'd him/her and I have to pay to have the item returned. I also get graded on accuracy on my feedback. So ... WTF is accurate? Do I have a 12-cup decanter or do I have a 64-ounce decanter? They're supposed to be the same and that's how they are sold. The problem is, by all the standards I've discovered, you can't get an even 12-cups from a 64-ounce decanter ... whatever a "cup" is!!

My head hurts.