Thread: Governmental waste??

Governmental waste??

Naaa, but I have to wonder if this dufe is an ex-governmental employee. If so, Trump prolly fired his ass!

I spent 44 years of my adult working life in management ... OR as a business owner. One constant battle when working with employees was cost control. I've learned over the years, when it comes to employees, if it's not coming out of THEIR pockets, they could give a shit! Even with my little eBay side business (NOT counted in the 44-years mentioned above), I'm constantly aware of expenses. All of my packing materials are recycled. I pick up boxes EVERYWHERE we go. I've even stopped on the side of the road on trash day to pick up a box I spotted in somebody's trash out by the curb. (especially if it's an odd-sized/shaped box) Lynn brings packing materials from the hotel. Since the hotel is at the convention center, there are tons of bubble wrap and/or packing peanuts that go into the trash, especially during trade shows and the like. The hotel gives free newspapers to all the guests every morning and they have bazillions of left-over papers every week. She drags home carloads of newspaper, packing paper, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, foam rubber and styrofoam, as well as cardboard boxes. She has employees at the convention center as well as the hotel who all know to bring that stuff to her instead of chunking it in the trash. I'm surprised they don't call her Freda Sanford! Of course, I scrounge that sort of stuff anytime I come across it also. I go through truckloads of packing tape, but I get that free from eBay (one of the store ownership benefits). I'm super conscious of shipping costs. Many times, shipping (USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc) costs more than I paid for the actual item, and that's WITHOUT the cost of supplies figured in. The bigger and heavier the package, "generally" means higher shipping charges. In fact, I'm shipping a rather large and fragile item tomorrow (packaging it today) that would easily cost me $10 in shipping supplies IF I had to purchase them. That would come off my bottom line. Ok, enough of that, you get the idea.

Last week, Lynn ordered a few items from Saks Fifth Avenue. Nothing exciting, just a small silicone spatula and a couple of small tea towels (the latter is a gift). Yesterday, we received a large box in the mail and we had no clue what it could be. The label said it was from Saks, so the first thing that came to mind was that they screwed up the order. Well, we opened it and after removing all the packing materials, we found her spatula! WTF??? The frigging spatula is 11-inches long, weighs in at a whopping 2.4-ounces and I would have shipped it USPS for $2.84! It is not even CLOSE to being fragile and could have been shipped in a frigging envelope! They shipped this spatula in a 13"x8"x8" box. It was WELL padded by packing paper ... I measured it ... 33' 10" Long x 12" Wide!! Here are the pics of the package (the small Liquid Wrench oiler can is for size reference). I do a LOT of shipping and I'll guarandamntee you, they paid more for the shipping and packaging than we paid for the spatula!

DSCN2208.JPG DSCN2207.JPG DSCN2206.JPG

But, there's a kicker. The two little tea towels will be arriving in a SEPARATE package and we all know how fragile a couple of little towels can be. They'll prolly arrive in a box as big as a refrigerator ... with tons of padding to make sure they don't get "broken"! Sorry, but if this were MY company, the manager of my shipping department would be standing in the unemployment line right now.

Rant over ... UNTIL the towels arrive. There MAY be a follow-up post!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Different fulfillment centers are the reason for two boxes.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Different fulfillment centers are the reason for two boxes. BKB
    That's persactly what I'm figuring P-hole. I guess it'll be a contest to see who is the most wasteful ... with both funds AND shipping materials.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Don’t bitch. Look at all the free packing supplies you got as a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Don’t bitch. Look at all the free packing supplies you got as a bonus.

Got it Deppity ... in fact, I have a package going to FedEx today (6.3-Gal. Yamaha outboard fuel tank) and I used all 34-feet of that packing paper for a portion of the cushioning.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I feel sorry for your neighbors once Lynn retires and you don’t get all of those newspapers anymore. You’ll probably resort to getting up early and stealing everyone’s papers before they get up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Ha! Truthfully, I don't use a lot of newspaper unless I ship flat rate. It may sound odd, but newsprint is HEAVY! But, I do have a use for it many times. If you think about it, most every hotel supplies a morning paper, usually USA Today. If you ever need newspaper for any reason, just stop by one of your local hotels and they'll be glad to give you a couple hundred pounds of leftover newspapers!

We also have a couple of very close friends who are bazillionaires and VERY seldom set foot into a retail store. They do ALL of their shopping on-line and sometimes I think that's all they do. I'd say they average 3-4 package deliveries per day. They can't spend that money fast enough ... especially since they not only shop for themselves, but are addicted to buying stuff for the 5 grandkids. We have dinner with them almost every Sunday (IF they're not travelling). In fact, we spent the day at their place yesterday (had lunch and dinner) and as usual, returned home with a car load of Amazon boxes and packing materials. They save 'em all for me. I'm sure it sounds a little silly, but if you ship in volume, you'd be surprised how much shipping supplies cost if you have to buy them. Just the ONE cardboard box like I'm shipping today (mentioned above) runs $4.00+ IF you purchase a 10-pack (higher if purchased individually). Add the materials and it would cost me $10 just to package the item (not including shipping). I'd rather put that $10 in my pocket. In fact, the supplies to ship this package ran me $0.00 .... just the way I like it. In fact, I'm shipping FOUR packages today ... $0.00 in shipping supplies. Believe me, it adds up if you do any sort of volume shipping.