Thread: People ....

People ....

If I ever figure 'em out, I'll be a bazillionaire! I've had an item listed like FOREVER and it just would not sell. It's an obsolete electrical item and can easily be replaced with an upgraded part, so it's pretty much a good paperweight. Every once-in-a-while you get something like that and I always figure I'll simply keep the listing going until I have a garage sale, then see if it'll disappear that way. So, the listing continued on and plenty of people "looked" at it, but nobody would pull the trigger. I finally got tired of it sitting on the shelf gathering dust, so I decided to try blowing it out at some ridiculously low price, but at the last minute, decided to try a bit of psychology.

I've had it listed at $79.95 for at least a year, with plenty of looky-loos .... lot's o' nibbles, but no bites. I relisted it at $99.95 or best offer. Within hours, I received an offer of $80.00! WTF???
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    As I've said before.. You're whole side career would not work up here.. We have "auctions".. most "stuff" goes for new retail or above.. Buddy of mine had some lab puppies (accidental breeding - no papers) put an ad in the paper "Free Lab Puppies".. didn't get a call. Put another ad in the same paper "Lab Puppies $25." sold out in two days. As you say, "people"..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 06-19-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Yeppers, I just don't have the patience for auctions. Plus I have a real problem starting low as it's too easy to get burned. Start high and nobody bids. Start at what you MIGHT consider letting something go for, but lower than you'd like and inevitably, you'll sell with one bid for the starting price. THEN ... you many times have to wait a day or three to get paid as the winner may have placed his/her bid a week prior and they take a while to catch up after the auction ends. Of course, I'm talking on-line auctions, so that's a whole 'nuther ball game.

You're correct though. Whenever I'm "up north", I notice auctions are the norm. I've attended a few estate auctions here (they're rare down here), but it's just not my thing.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain