Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trav (old thread revived)

Trav (old thread revived)

My CUTCO's usually fly off the shelves as fast as I can post them. I do keep a few culls around that I eventually send in for refurbishment or replacement. As you probably know, CUTCO will refurbish them for life, or replace them for free if they can't be repaired. If you totally abuse one (misuse/abuse) past the point of redemption, they'll replace it with a new one for 1/2-price. I recently sold a box of culls, but I do have a new box started with a few knives waiting for me to decide what to do with them. A couple are totally trashed, but I do have one pretty nice one here. It looks like somebody was chopping, hitting bone, then twisting the blade. (??) There are tiny "bends" or dings along the cutting edge toward the tip. I believe CUTCO can clean it up with a refurbishment in case you're interested. In fact, I'm wondering if I send it to them for a factory refurb, if they would forward it on to you when completed? That would prevent having to ship it back and forth. OR ... you just may want to deal with it on your own (IF interested of course). If it's nothing you'd be interested in, I can give you a shout if I run across anything. They're a bit on the tough side to find, but I do run across them from time to time. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Here's the knife as it is right now.

It's a vintage CUTCO #1725 French Chef's 9" (15" overall) carving knife with the classic brown swirl handle. You can see the dings on the cutting edge in the final pic.

cutco1.jpg cutco2.jpg

cutco3.jpg cutco4.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I would be interested in it and some steak knives if you come across some
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

I would suspect if you sent it in you could just use my address as the return address and they would never know.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    I would suspect if you sent it in you could just use my address as the return address and they would never know.
    Yeppers, my thoughts persactly. I just wasn't sure if you wanted to see it first. Here's the catch. If you have other Cutco's that have not been refurbished, you may want this one shipped directly to you. As I said, I usually just keep my Cutco's until I have a pile of them, then send them in for a refurb before selling on eBay. I've just started my new box because a guy wanted to buy all my non-refurbished knives a while back. He gave me a good price, so we made a deal. (he'd bought a knife from me before, so we had each other's contact info, then did an under the table deal eliminating eBay) I've started a new box, but only have 3 knives so far. Here's how their deal works. You have to ship it to them (one shipping charge) and enclose return shipping. The return shipping is like $10 (don't remember persactly) for 1-10 knives, something like $12 or $13 for 10-20 knives, etc. etc. SO, if you have some Cutco's already that have not been refurbished, it would cost you the same whether you do 1 or 10 knives. I'm on the retail side, so the pennies add up with any volume at all. To do a refurb on ONE knife ends up costing me an additional $15 (or I can do 10 for the same price). If you'd like this one "as-is", I'd take $40 and I'd pay the shipping to you. Then if you can put together 10 knives at home, you could have them ALL done for the same as what I'd have to tack on to the price for the ONE knife. If you want me to ship it to CUTCO and have them forward it, I'd need to come in at $50. What'cha think?

The one I have is the vintage CUTCO with the brown swirl handle (most think it's black). The modern version is in CUTCO's catalog at $149.00. I know that doesn't mean squat, but the #1725 is still available new.

https://www.cutco.com/products/produ...em=french-chef

Well, I just looked up their return shipping charges. I was close. The more you ship, the cheaper it is ($9, or $0.90 per knife in a 10-knife batch).

Quantity of items sent/Return shipping fee
    1–10 products/$9
    11–25 products/$11
    26–40 products/$13
    There is a limit of 40 products per service order.

https://www.cutco.com/customer/sharpening.jsp

I don’t have any so you could ship it to them and I will shoot you the $50 or I can pay you the $40 and we could wait a few months and see what you can scrounge up and do a batch.

No problem Trav, don't worry about payment right now. Shoot me your shipping address and I'll send it on to CUTCO for refurbishment and have them forward it on to you. They usually need a couple weeks for turn-around anyway. I'd rather you see it before I take your hard-earned cash. The "ripples" really won't affect the effectiveness of the knife anyway, but I'd rather see how much of it comes out with a good sharpening. If'n you're not happy with it, you can just send it back to me. Howzzat?

I sent you my address via private message

Sorry buddy, I got so backed up with work here, I'm just now getting around to shipping your knife to CUTCO. They do give me the option of having the knife forwarded to a different address than my own, so there's nothing kinky there. My question is, are you into the vintage stuff? Or simply the CUTCO stuff? The reason I ask is, if they determine they'd rather replace the knife with a new one, as opposed to repairing/resharpening the old one, they'll do that. BUT ... there's a space to check on the order form that instructs them NOT to replace a pre-1980's knife. (Important to collectors or someone who has a matched set) If I check that block, they'll just do what they can with what they have and ship it to you. I "think" the dings will sharpen out of this blade for the most part, but I'm no expert. If the "vintage" thing doesn't mean anything to you, I'll leave the option open and you could possibly receive a new replacement at their discretion. Their catalog has the new one priced at $149.00, so you could come out with a pretty sweet deal if you don't mind new over vintage.

Anyway, let me know which you'd prefer and I'll get this thing shipped asap.

Thump, I don’t care if they replace it

Cool. Will have it shipped tomorrow.

Hey Trav ... I received a message from CUTCO informing me your knife is being shipped today.

Nothing is showing up yet, but the USPS tracking number is: 92748901091954553000129377

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Hey Trav ... I received a message from CUTCO informing me your knife is being shipped today.

Nothing is showing up yet, but the USPS tracking number is: 92748901091954553000129377
    If Bucky were here, he’d tell you how useless a tracking number is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool thanks

OOOPS! Sorry, that's a UPS tracking number.

Jul 27 2019 Package transferred to destination MI facility Urbancrest, OH
    Jul 27 2019 Package processed by UPS MI Urbancrest, OH
    Jul 27 2019 Package received for processing Urbancrest, OH
    Jul 26 2019 Shipment information received
    Jul 26 2019 Shipment tendered to UPS MI Olean, NY

Got it today Thumper, plan on trying it out this weekend.

Did they manage to get the chinks out of it with the sharpening?

It still has a few but I am ok with it, let me know what email to send a paypal payment to.

Just sent you a payment Jimbo, keep me in mind if you get any more.

Ha ha ha! Got it, but ya’ forgot the sharpening ya’ thief! (Just yankin’ yer chain) Posthole tried to warn me about you. 😆

If you'd like this one "as-is", I'd take $40 and I'd pay the shipping to you. Then if you can put together 10 knives at home, you could have them ALL done for the same as what I'd have to tack on to the price for the ONE knife. If you want me to ship it to CUTCO and have them forward it, I'd need to come in at $50. What'cha think?

You’re right I completely forgot about that, just sent the other$10

Ha! No prob buddy. I knew that but couldn't resist bustin' yer chops. Thanks!

Hey Buddy,

With this COVID mess, I've been pretty much on hiatus when it comes to estate sales, but I've been attending a few lately as they're slowly starting to be scheduled again. As mentioned at the beginning of this old thread, I normally keep a box of Cutco stuff that I'll be sending in for refurbishment once I get enough collected, but I did come across a nice knife recently that requires no refurb. imho. It's a Cutco Model 1766 Santoku knife. It actually appears to be unused, other than a few surface scratches on the mirrored part of the finish (probably from being stored loose without the protective sleeve) but it's very minor, is strictly cosmetic, and has no affect on the knife itself. This era and handle design/ material match the 1725 at the top of this thread. It's a good'ern and I did a quick net search, but (new) prices are all over the frigging map for some silly reason. For example:

$258.62 at SEARS ... https://www.sears.com/cutco-cutlery-...6329?rrec=true

$171.88 at Amazon ... https://www.amazon.com/CUTCO-1766-Sa.../dp/B000L17BQ4

Used ones on eBay seem to be hovering around $125 lately and I'm planning on listing this one at $120, then adjust down slowly over time to a minimum of $100 if it doesn't sell for some reason (they usually sell pretty fast). BUT ... I'd let it go now to anyone here for $80 and I'll even cover the shipping & insurance, if interested. I'll hold off on my Ebay listing until it's apparent nobody here wants it.

BTW, my refurb box contains some misc. oddities right now. I have a couple knives with fubar'd blades that I "might" have Cutco replace:

A No. 68 Cheese knife (very slightly bent blade) and a No. 1022 8" Butcher Knife (I assume the blade tip had been broken off and some bozo ground it down to a 7" blade)

The rest is a bunch of weird stuff:

A No. 24 (ham/roast) Slicer, a No. 26 Meat Fork, a No. 27 Meat Fork and a No. 28 Spatula!

I will take the Santoku

Ok buddy, I'll get it shipped to you asap. Look it over and if you like it, you can send funds via PayPal. I assume your address hasn't changed since July of last year. (?)

Oh, I'll attach a couple of pics so you know what you're getting. I suck at photography, especially shiny surfaces, but it'll give you some idea of what to expect. The swirls in the final pic are highly exaggerated by the flash and can't really be seen under normal lighting. The cutting edge measures 7" and the overall length is 12-3/4".

DSCN8885.JPG DSCN8886.JPG DSCN8896.JPG

I’m next when you find one of these. Stop letting Travis hog them all up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll see what I can do Arty.

Trav, your package will go out tomorrow (10/21) and your tracking number is:

USPS tracking # 9405508205496808661662

Are you going to be open Black Friday, Thumper?

I was told there’d be a sale.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I’ll be busy attending a Black Friday’s Matter rally.