Thread: Trav (old thread revived)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hey Buddy,

With this COVID mess, I've been pretty much on hiatus when it comes to estate sales, but I've been attending a few lately as they're slowly starting to be scheduled again. As mentioned at the beginning of this old thread, I normally keep a box of Cutco stuff that I'll be sending in for refurbishment once I get enough collected, but I did come across a nice knife recently that requires no refurb. imho. It's a Cutco Model 1766 Santoku knife. It actually appears to be unused, other than a few surface scratches on the mirrored part of the finish (probably from being stored loose without the protective sleeve) but it's very minor, is strictly cosmetic, and has no affect on the knife itself. This era and handle design/ material match the 1725 at the top of this thread. It's a good'ern and I did a quick net search, but (new) prices are all over the frigging map for some silly reason. For example:

$258.62 at SEARS ... https://www.sears.com/cutco-cutlery-...6329?rrec=true

$171.88 at Amazon ... https://www.amazon.com/CUTCO-1766-Sa.../dp/B000L17BQ4

Used ones on eBay seem to be hovering around $125 lately and I'm planning on listing this one at $120, then adjust down slowly over time to a minimum of $100 if it doesn't sell for some reason (they usually sell pretty fast). BUT ... I'd let it go now to anyone here for $80 and I'll even cover the shipping & insurance, if interested. I'll hold off on my Ebay listing until it's apparent nobody here wants it.

BTW, my refurb box contains some misc. oddities right now. I have a couple knives with fubar'd blades that I "might" have Cutco replace:

A No. 68 Cheese knife (very slightly bent blade) and a No. 1022 8" Butcher Knife (I assume the blade tip had been broken off and some bozo ground it down to a 7" blade)

The rest is a bunch of weird stuff:

A No. 24 (ham/roast) Slicer, a No. 26 Meat Fork, a No. 27 Meat Fork and a No. 28 Spatula!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I will take the Santoku
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775