Thread: This is crazy!

This is crazy!

The American Red Cross called me a couple weeks ago and said they understand I had some damage from the storm.

"Ummmm, what storm???"

The lady said, "From Hurricane Irma!"

"Huh? Uh, yeah, but that was TWO frigging years ago!"

"Yes sir, but we have some funds that have been released to help you out."

I then went on to ask the lady a string of questions and was told, she's simply a volunteer and doesn't know the answer to questions like that, so she gave me the number for the Red Cross Headquarters, then told me to contact them with any questions.

We hung up and I called the Red Cross National Headquarters. I spoke with a woman who said she had no idea what I was talking about, then she put me on hold while she talked with a supervisor. She came back and said she'd consulted with her supervisor as well as some mucky-muck above him, and nobody has a clue about anything I said. She then told me I may want to contact my LOCAL Red Cross and maybe they would know something about it, then gave me the number for the Red Cross in a neighboring town. I called and THE SAME LADY ANSWERED ... from the Red Cross National Headquarters! I told her I called the number she gave me and she's the one who answered. She double checked the number and it was correct. Needless to say, she was baffled. She then said she'd have a meeting with ALL of the brass and promised to get back with me by the end of the day.

As promised, she called me back that evening. She said a representative would be contacting me within a couple of days. Sure enough, a couple days later, a young gal called and said she'd like to stop by the house at 11:30 am the next day, if ok with me. I told her I'd be here. About 11:00 I was going to run to the pharmacy (2-blocks away) to pick up a Rx they had ready. As I was getting into my truck, the gal pulls up in the driveway (1/2 hr. early). We never even went into the house, I simply pointed out where some trees USED to be, where my pool/patio USED to be and to some new fencing where my OLD fence USED to be. We chatted a bit and she asked if I wanted a check or direct deposit. I told her direct deposit is fine, but I'd have to go inside to get my account number. She said, "No problem, I'll just call and get it later." She was here maybe 15 mins. and most of that time we were just b/s'ing. Once she left, I realized I didn't even realize what had just happened! Direct deposit? What deposit? Anyway, I went on to the store to pick up my Rx and continued with my day.

In the meantime, I haven't heard back from anybody and pretty much forgot about it. Yesterday, I pulled my mail out of the box and there's a check from the Red Cross for $6500.00!! WTF just happened?

DSCN2620.JPG
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    The good Lord provides for drunks and idiots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    The good Lord provides for drunks and idiots...

HEY!!!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Now, now. You know that Thump ain't much of a drinker.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    haha...I gotta learn that trick Jim....please teach me....

I can’t figure out if Kribbs is complaining. Or what.

Congrats I guess! You can buy me something real nice for my birthday that’s coming up. Its a big one.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Not complaining, it just seems odd. Two years after the fact. No real documentation, just “sure, I had some damage” and a check for $6500 appears in my mail box. It’s like that money was burning a hole in their pockets. I have full coverage through my homeowner’s insurance including an extra hurricane coverage policy, yet they didn’t cover squat! It just seems odd the Red Cross paid more than my insurance company. I spent more than that, so I have no guilt accepting it, but I’m just not accustomed to getting something for “nothing”. It kind’a makes me feel “dirty”. I’m not used to “charity”, but VERY appreciative.

Seriously, it’s just kind of hard to explain.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    yea, that is kinda weird in a good way.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I don’t know much about the ARC, but I do know a little about charities and nonprofit accounting. It could be they raised money (or, someone donated money) specifically for that hurricane. (It’s not considered to be a best practice to do it this way and the ARC did get some grief a few years ago for raising funds for one emergency and spending it on another.). If so, that’s the only thing it can be spent on without going back to the donor and getting their permission to use it for something else. So, if they had a leftover pot of money that was “restricted” in this way, it could have actually been burning a hole in their pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

That makes total sense C. D. Who knows? I will say the windfall will cover some of what I already paid out of pocket, so it’s all legit. I’m simply not used to having money handed to me when totally unexpected.

I guess I’m weird that way. I remember when I was in my mid-20’s, I was working for a company that went belly-up. Everybody headed straight for the unemployment office to file. I was too embarrassed to do it. I felt like I was begging for a hand-out. Finally a buddy of mine literally dragged me in kicking and screaming to file a claim. I remember standing in line and noticing everyone there looked “normal”, including men in business suits and women nicely dressed.

Yeah, I was young and stupid I suppose.