Thread: Ha ha ha! This is a MUST for my bucket list!

Ha ha ha! This is a MUST for my bucket list!

NOT!

It seems world travelers can now go to Russia and take a tour of Chernobyl. Man-o-man, I just added that trip to the top of my bucket list! I'll be spending all morning trying to find the best flight and hotel accommodations in Kiev! I can't wait to tell Lynn what I have planned. There's one minor detail I don't quite understand though ... they say you'll be transported from Kiev to Chernobyl and back to Kiev by "minivan".

Tour Chernobyl and Pripyat on a full-day tour from Kiev by minivan
    Full day? What persactly does that mean? I looked at another section describing the tour and found this:

Tour Duration: 24h
    WTF??? In a minivan?!

Here are a few more tid-bits from the tour company. Maybe these tours are part of Putin's plan to rid the world of some of us deplorables!

HIGHLIGHTS:

1-Tour Chernobyl and Pripyat on a full-day tour from Kiev
    2-View the Chernobyl plant and devastated surroundings
    3-See reactor 4 and abandoned Pripyat

There are two tour options available (I have no clue what the "urgent" tour is, but it costs extra!)

Group Chernobyl tour 08:00 (FROM $105 US)
    Group Chernobyl tour (urgent) 08:00 (FROM $169 US)

What to expect:

1-Depart central Kiev and make the journey to Chernobyl. Wear clothes that cover your arms and legs, plus sturdy shoes.

2-En route, learn how the towns of Chernobyl and Pripyat—the latter home to plant workers—were evacuated.

3-After crossing the Dytyatky checkpoint into the 30-kilometer exclusion zone, tour the town of Chernobyl. Then, continue to Kopachi village—buried due to extreme contamination—to see its derelict kindergarten.

4-View reactor 4, the accident site and take in the Red Forest and Pripyat, with its eerie streets, school, and amusement park.

5-After lunch at a Chernobyl canteen made with outsourced ingredients (THAT'S important I would think!), check out the mysterious Duga-3, a Soviet-era over-the-horizon radar system dubbed the “Russian Woodpecker.”

6-Your tour then ends in Kiev.

Additional Info:

1-Dress code is important - no sandals, no shorts, no sleeveless t-shirts. We recommend wearing sturdy boots or footwear with tough soles. Please make sure to have socks on so no body flesh is exposed. (WHAT?? No HAZMAT suits provided??!!)

2-There are quite a few homeless dogs in the zone. If you like dogs you can bring some dog food with you and feed them. (Do they glow in the dark?)

And this is my all-time favorite!

3-Minimum age is 18 years (the age limit can be discussed in each case)

(Ummmm, so if I slip you a ten-spot, there "really" IS no age limit ... right?)

Ya' got's ta' love the kindergarten pics!

cher12.jpg cher8.jpg cher6.jpg

cher3.jpg cher5.jpg cher2.jpg

cher10.jpg cher11.jpg cher4.jpg

cher7.jpg cher9.jpg cher1.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Somebody told me there was a tv show about Chernobyl that is supposed to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    There is an HBO 5 part series and yes, it is good. Don't believe I would actually go there however.