Earlier this week, Lynn (just out of the blue) said she'd like to go fishing sometime. WTF? She's never been fishing in her life! She worked all week and I've been busy as all get-out, but early this morning, I dug out my old fishing gear and started getting it cleaned up and new line spooled on a couple of light spinning outfits. (One light, one medium actually) We had a lot on our plates today and just got home, so I decided we'd just walk down to the lake bank a little later this evening, set up a coupl'a folding chairs, a small cooler for refreshments and the usual necessary gear, then spend the night fishing for catfish. I really don't even know the lake. Depth? Hot spots? Whatever, I'm clueless. It's kinda dumb because I've lived on this 500 acre lake for 30 frigging years and I've never wet a line in the darned thing. It's a clean water lake (spring fed) and looks like it has some interesting areas to explore, but I've simply never done it. I no longer have a boat, so we'll just fish from the dock or possibly the bank (we have quite a bit of frontage) and the property is on a small cove or inlet off the main lake. It should be a nice little holding spot, although I have no clue what sort of depth I'm dealing with. We have a small, private boat ramp next to the dock, so it's not terribly shallow. Heck, going for catfish is the simplest thing I could come up with for a first outing tonight, especially since we've just been too busy for any daylight fishing. Even if we don't catch anything, it should be fun.

Wanna know how long it's been since I've wet a line? I found my stash of poles in the garage, but I was missing a few and had no clue what might have happened to them. I started digging around and finally found them. They were locked in an airline approved case in the back of a spare bedroom closet downstairs. They've been in there so long, I had to cut the locks off (no clue where the keys are). I looked at the airline tag attached to the case and it appears when I returned from my last Canuckian fishing trip with ol' TW and a bunch'o youse Good Hunting deplorables, I simply stuck it in the closet and it hasn't been touched since! I have to admit, while cleaning them up and re-spooling them, it brought back fond memories of past trips and I actually felt a slight tinge of the old fishing bug I haven't felt in years. I don't know how long Lynn will hold up tonight and it really doesn't matter as I'm sure we'll have some fun ... if nothing else, a bit of quality time away from the usual rat-race.

Here's the little cove we live on. The dock and covered picnic table table is just to the right of the boat ramp.

lakegibsonview.jpg