Thread: Got a few extra bucks ??

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar

Got a few extra bucks ??

We are a tourist area, lots of people own some very nice big high dollar cottages on Lake Michigan and spend the summer here while Dad flies in on Thursday night and out on Monday AM.
    But others spend their summer on boats, staying a week here then moving on to another marina, so seeing nice private jets and big boats are a fairly common sight.
    But every now and then something comes along that is just a little over the top,
    this ocean going yacht showed up on the 4th just in time to see the Thunder Birds do their air show, must have liked the area cause they are still here.
    Local paper ran a story about the boat and said it's home port is in the Caribbean and is usually a rental.
    Yacht comes with a full crew, chef, wait staff, and housekeeping all for $750,000 a week, so the two weeks it's been here, someone just spent 1.5.million dollars.
    No names of who, but their shuttle boat can be seen coming and going all day long.
    So if any of your friends are on the boat have them give me a call, I'll buy them a beer or two.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I can’t even imagine having money like that to piss away. Lynn watches some dumb reality show called “Below Deck” and it follows a charter yacht like that. Of course, between the passengers and the crew (it basically follows the crew), there is no end to the drama. The yacht is usually chartered by some big business owner or corporation to take clients (or employees) on a short cruise. (Usually 3-days to a week or so). They normally drop an envelope of $20,000 - $30,000 in cash off with the Captain as a tip to split among the crew when they disembark. Must be nice.

I couldn’t even afford to rent the shuttle boat, much less the yacht!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Got a few extra bucks ??

That’s stupid shit even if you can afford it.

Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 07-15-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Shuttles, Ha! As you know, I LOVE taking cruises (in fact, we have another one coming up in December). The "shuttle" has always been referred to officially as a "tender". Many smaller ports cannot accommodate large ships, (or the docks can be full or even bad weather can prevent docking), so the ships must anchor in the harbor and launch the tenders to "shuttle" passengers to and from shore. The normally accepted term for these boats are "tenders" and there were always multiple announcements (written as well as verbal over the PA system) as to which deck to disembark and whether it's forward or aft (to board the tenders). The problem is, new, first time cruisers have no idea what "tender" means. The ship would anchor off-shore and a bazillion confused passengers would flock to the Customer Service desk wondering how the "F" they're going to get to shore to buy their chintzy souvenirs and crap. I read last year that Carnival is now changing that bazillion year old nautical term to "water shuttle" so these newbies won't be so confused. I believe they started on Carnival, but plan to change the term throughout their lines.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    JB, I forgot to mention I’d be in town. Glad you like my boat.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."