Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where I been and what I've been doing (beside Farm work)

Where I been and what I've been doing (beside Farm work)

Back in October of last year a friend of Cheryl’s called and wanted to sell me his tractor. He has some health problems for the past 7 years and things continue to get worse for him.
    He bought this tractor new and told me it was a 1950-8N Ford. I really did not need the tractor, as it is a bit small for our farm. It had not been cranked in 7 years however he told me he had the plugs hand tight and several times a year he would put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over by jumping the starter.
    I went to look at the tractor and was not really impress as it looked like it had been painted with a brush and EVERYTHING had been painted over. No parts were removed and original paint color was not used. I looked at the hour meter and it read 720 hours. I asked him when he replaced the proof meter as this tractor is about 63 years only and 720 hours is nothing. He told me that was the original hours. He lives in a housing development had about 2 acres. He has a disk and a scrap blade. He told me he only disked his small garden each year and scraped his driveway a couple of times a year.
    I can tell you as I have disassembled this tractor I do in fact believe this is the correct hours. All seals and fittings I have replaced have been the originals and every part of the tractor including the steering is rock tight.
    Long story short I bought the tractor, as he seemed bent on me having it. He said I was the only person he knew that had a farm and would take care of it.
    Armed with a new 6-volt battery, points, plugs, condenser and a can for fresh gas I went over to get the tractor. It took about an hour to tune it up and drain out the old soup that use to be gas and clean out the Carb. But it fired right up and I loaded everything and headed home.
    When I got home I pressure washed it and took a picture. It ran so well and had such low hours on the proof meter I decided I would restore it….

2012 Ford 8N-1.JPG 2012 Ford 8N-2.JPG
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

For about a month I began taking some parts off and stripping them down to metal and priming and painting. Using paint stripper, wire brushes and a pressure washer. I also study up on the 8-Ns a little and downloaded a chart to make sure I painted the parts the correct colors. Went to our local Ford dealer and ordered the paint in the correct color red and gray and black.
    Started stripping the whole tractor using paint stripper and a pressure washer. Surprising the paint came off fairly well. i spent many hours under the tractor getting rid of the dust and dirt buildup that was in the hiding places. I learned a GREAT trick on degreasing and removing 60 years of grease and oil. It's called oven cleaner. Just spray it on and let it sit and hour or so, hit it with a pressure washer and it will take ALL oil and grease off of and out of metal. Wonderful time saver.

2012 Tractor 8N-4.JPG 2012 Tractor 8N-3.JPG IMG_2801.JPG IMG_2807.JPG IMG_2809.JPG
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Completely stripped the tractor and ready to get serious. One note is the paint actually dyed some of the metal parts and even after the paint was remove the metal still was red in color. The Intake was one such part.

The inside rear fender braces were a pain to get off as they were riveted on… Finally got them completely sanded and primed and put the finish paint on them.

IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2906.JPG

The dash is a part I'm very proud of. It was very pitted and took a lot of work to get everything filled and smooth. This was my first try at bodywork and I had to take it down to metal three times before it passed my inspection.

IMG_2901.JPG IMG_2936.JPG

Finally got warm enough to prime

IMG_2919.JPG IMG_2920.JPG IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2931.JPG

Holy crap Larke! Is Cheryl's friend in any shape to come out and take one last spin on that bad boy? I bet he'll about crap hisself and cry when he sees your finished product.

Len
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

All lines and linkages had been painted over the years. I cleaned each of them and painted with silver heat paint

IMG_2933.JPG IMG_2969.JPG IMG_2972.JPG IMG_2975.JPG

That's one reason I'm pushing through on this project Len, It's my hope to finish it in time to have him out and let him drive it around if he can... I really want him to see it.
    Cheryl sent him some pictures awhile back and he really got excited about me doing a ground up restoration on his tractor.
    Take Care, Captain

IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2989.JPG IMG_2991.JPG IMG_2993.JPG IMG_2997.JPG IMG_3011.JPG

Carb, Oil filter, Front wheels removed to complete stripping and priming

If I could go back and take more pictures it would be of the proof meter and all gauges. I rebuilt them instead of replacing them for several reasons. One was I would loose the actual hours on the proof meter and the other is the original Amp meter had a wire that ran through the meter and it read the amperage through the insulation. The replacement you had to cut the wire and attach it by two screws to the new gauge. An the oil gauge replacement when to a higher number than the original. So I opted try my hand at rebuilding them. I made no pictures until I was finished and I hate that. I took every part down and refaced the Proof meter (even painted the screws inside). I am very happy with the way these turned out.

IMG_3016.JPG IMG_3018.JPG

Larke, you gotta know this, because it's true. You are an artist. Some people paint in oils, you do your work in a different medium. After seeing that canoe, which blew my mind, and now seeing this, I am in awe. Good job, man. And good job for the reason you're doing it too.

My glass is up to you bud! Well done!
    BOB

Thanks guys. I'm in the reassembly phase now and will post some more pictures tomorrow. We are having some bad storms right now and the Internet is in and out. Still got the body work to do on the hood and grill. Both will be major undertakings. Ill have to totally put the whole tractor back together and then hand fit the grill. It has some dings in it and cannot just be fixed and expected to fit. It will be the last piece I do. I've got the rear wheels apart and worked on them for the last couple of days. Will try to post some pics tomorrow. Hope to have the rear wheels painted (two tone as original) by next week...
    Take care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

That is so cool Larke. You are doing a heckofa job on that old Ford.

I did a little googling and found a place not too far from you that has antique tractor shows/pulls.
    Maybe after you get 'er done, you can take it out put it in the show?

http://www.funderburkfarms.com/index.html
    http://www.funderburkfarms.com/Photo-Gallery.html
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Knowing how to do all that is as amazing, to me, as doing it. My buddy, that built my smoker, restores old tractors. He has a 1902 Somethingorother he did from ground up. Amazing. Takes it in parades. All that, and this, is like looking at Troy's work.........I can just be a spectator.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

The next big project was the front wheels. I don’t have a good picture of them before however they were in really bad shape and rusted really bad. The valve stem hole was rusted out and about twice the size it should be. Being these wheels are low speed and not balanced like a car wheel I decided to make a repair on them

The original valve stem hole was 5/8 inches so I purchased some heavy (thick) washers and began grinding them down to fit the contour of the wheel.

Used a friends MIG welder and welded them in place. Then smoothed them back down to original contour
    Also cleaned the inside of the rim with a grinder and treated it with a heavy rubber treatment that will smooth the inside to keep from puncturing the new tube. Used the paint stripper and a wire brush to clean the outside of the rims.

IMG_3012.JPG IMG_3025.JPG IMG_3026.JPG IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3030.JPG IMG_3053.JPG IMG_3057.JPG IMG_3058.JPG IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3115.JPG

Finally a warm day for some primer and paint on the wheels.

IMG_3119.JPG IMG_3122.JPG IMG_3124.JPG IMG_3125.JPG

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Very nice Larke. Of course, antique tractors are a huge deal in my part of the country. The have "rides" from town to town. Really neat to see all the old stuff. My BIL (the one with the collection of Chevelles, Corvettes, Int. 1206s - and who knows what else) restored my Grandad's Allis Chalmers WC. I think it's the only piece of equipment on the farm that isn't red.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Wowwww... Awesome!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    You are doing one heck of a bang up job Cappy and thanks for sharing the process with us, very interesting.

Now that you are practiced up how about I bring my AR John Deere down so you have something to work on NEXT winter?

Just curious, what is the product called that you used to coat the inside of the front rims?

Pulling off the front Hubs and put new grease seals in the back of them. The bearings were in perfect shape so I did not replace them or the races.

IMG_3017.JPG IMG_3020.JPG IMG_3021.JPG IMG_3022.JPG IMG_3137.JPG

Steering arms likewise were in great shape and all gears were perfect. I did put new felt seals on when replacing them after painting basically because I had pressured washed the originals to death...

IMG_3041.JPG IMG_3043.JPG

In prep for painting the frame I slipped the rear hubs back on to keep from painting over the brake pads/parts
    IMG_3046.JPG

The Intake and Exhaust manifold are made together on this tractor. I decided I’d remove them and prime and paint with heat paint. They were originally black in color as was the muffler and tailpipe. The original muffler and tail pipe ran under the tractor and had been replaced with an upright style. I purchased all original parts and put it back original.
    Also the nuts holding the Manifolds on had heat seized on the studs and I had to remake one rod, I rethreaded the block inside and rethreaded the three remaining original studs. I had to make the fourth. I used a long 7/16th case harden bolt and cut the head off to make the stud the correct length. And then threaded both ends. The end that when into the block was a course thread of 16 threads per inch but the end that when through the manifold was a fine thread of 20 threads per inch. Also the nuts on the manifold suppose to be brass I assume to keep them from heat seizing on the studs. So I replaced them with the correct nuts and washers.

IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3071.JPG IMG_3093.JPG IMG_3098.JPG IMG_3099.JPG

Finally a warm day to spray some paint..
    IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3089.JPG IMG_3100.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    You are doing one heck of a bang up job Cappy and thanks for sharing the process with us, very interesting.

Now that you are practiced up how about I bring my AR John Deere down so you have something to work on NEXT winter?

Just curious, what is the product called that you used to coat the inside of the front rims?
    John the product is called POR 15 it is a heavy rubber brush on or spray on. Really GOOD stuff...
    http://www.por15.com/

Take Care, Captain

My neighbor has a sandblaster so I was able to sandblast the hood, grill fenders and hood side panels
    There is some rust through on a couple of spots on the hood. Guess I’ll learn how to use fiberglass or the better Duo-glass that suppose to be better in these applications. I will have to totally finish the Tractor and put everything back together and then hand fit the grill. It is going to need a lot of work and impossible to just do it and expect it to fit. It’s just too out of square. That will be the last and final project piece.

IMG_3191.JPG

The only sign of any leak I could find in the tractor was from the PTO shaft out the back. As it was always my intentions to change all fluids in the tractor I purchased the PTO seal and removed the PTO shaft, drained all the Transmission, and Hydraulic fluid and replaced the seal. I did wash out the Transmission and Hydraulic tanks with diesel fuel.

IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3213.JPG

Started on the rear wheels this week. They will be a BIG job. Removed the center hub which help but they are still heavy and tough to work with. The center hubs are pitted some. I’m using fiberfill sandable primer to fill the pitting the same as I used on the dash. From the factory the center hubs were painted the gray color of the front wheels, hood and fenders, while the outer wheel ring was Silver. That is one reason I took them apart. Another reason was to remove all rust where the inner hub bolts to the outer wheel. Today I got the rear hubs almost ready to paint but we got a cold snap through here last night so it might be awhile before I get to spray any paint on them. And with this post it about brings y'all up to date on what I've been up to the past couple of months.
    Take Care, Captain
    IMG_3216.JPG IMG_3217.JPG IMG_3219.JPG IMG_3222.JPG IMG_3234.JPG

Beautiful job so far Cappy ... can't wait to see the finished product. Ya' think you'll have it all together before turkey season? Funny, I started reading the sentence about the holes rusted out in the rims and the old flat washer fix immediately popped into my noggin. A few words later and it's like you'd read my mind! I wish I lived closer as I'd be right there with you as I'm sure you could use a helper. Again, great job and a great cause ... I sure hope he gets to see (and drive) the finished project.

John, did you say you have an AR???
    Is it kinda sorta like this one?
    http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings...x?OHID=6572759

I had an uncle that had a huge farm around Douglas, ND. He was a Deere man to the bone. He had an AR like that one in his shed that he really loved. I think he bought it new, and always talked fondly of it. I would have loved to have gotten it after he passed, but the logistics of hauling a beast like that from ND to GA would be nearly undoable (for me anyway). And nthen I'd have to figger out where to put it....I have a hard enough time storing my M.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    That's the one Nner. I believe my grandpa bought it new way back when. In the early 1980's Dad repainted it and then cut down an old road maintainer, called the Simplex, welded up a frame for it which was bolted onto the AR and then used it for pushing snow if the snow wasn't too deep. The old girl has a cracked head so to get it started Dad would heat up that sparkplug with a handheld torch and then she would fire right off. Dad says she is mine for the taking so I would like to get the head either replaced or repairs if it can be done just so I can listen to the old Poppin' Johnnie every now and then. Who knows, might even have to use her in a parade or two.