Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where I been and what I've been doing (beside Farm work)

Great looking job there, Cappy. Has a familiar look.20130329_180803.jpg

Nice looking Red Belly there Tightlines... they are some great workhorses!

Woke up at 6 this morning at the SC farm, scouted for Turkeys coming off the roost, and worked on Fencelines about all day. Got home about 4 and the headlight rings were on the front porch.
    Installed the blubs and rings and wired everything up. I installed the side air filer as I had not put it on to make running the wires easier.
    I wanted to complete the project before Turkey season and I made it with 2 days to spare...
    Remember this from late October?

2012 Ford 8N-2.JPG

Here is it "Turnkeyed"

Cheryl1.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

Well I'm out of a project. Guess I'll just have to hunt Turkeys, Hogs and do a bunch of Fishing and Hay balin'
    Take Care, Captain
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Mine is a 2 N. Yours looks like a 8 N, which is a little later model I think. Mine cranks at the touch and and works great but not the pristine condition you put that thing in. Not close. My dad and I bought it in 76 with a broken lift pump, no brakes, and a big hole in the radiator. We fixed all that and more. For years I thought it was a 9N. It's mostly retired now. Reminds me of my dad, big time.

A 2-N that's neat. It has a front distributor, right? Did y'all convert it to 12 volt or leave it at 6 volt? I left mine original at 6 volt, positive ground. Makes for some interesting wiring.
    You ought to call Dennis Carpenter in Concord NC (or go to their website) and get a catalog. He bought all the original tooling from Ford for for the 2N, 9N and 8N's. and have the official license from Ford to manufacture and sell factory parts.... EVERY part is available for it.
    The 8N I have is a early 1950 model.
    If you got your serial number handy I can tell you what year yours was made...
    Congrats on the history with that neat tractor.
    Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

After almost breaking my arm several times using the hand crank,yes it got converted to12 volt.I'll check the ser #.

Looks like 2N 4015 12. Yep the distributor is up front.

Hunmmmmm, that's a puzzler. The 9N's were first and the serial numbers began with 9N. The 2N's were next and the serial numbers on all of them were also 9N. They did not use the 2N on a serial number.
    Go here and see what you can determine.
    http://www.myfordtractors.com/serial.shtml
    Maybe you miss read it..
    The serial number is on the left side of the block.
    Take Care, Captain

Got that # off the back axle. I'll check the engine block when I get home.

The Axle casting should have a letter and three numbers like "G187" the "G" would mean that the axle was cast in July, the next two numbers would be the date, "18th", and the third number would be the year "1947".
    Take Care, Captain

Well the serial # on the block is 9N 135 637, indicating 1944. However the axle castings #2N 4014 and 4015 are dated 9 5 46 and 9 10 46. ???? Hmmmmmm!

It is likely that sometime over the past 60 to 70 years the axle housings were replaced... Parts swapping is very common.
    And of course it is possible the engine need work and the block need to be replaced. The engine block is not separate on these tractors. It is actually cast into the frame, one piece from the front axle, engine block to the transmission bell housing. If a block has to be replaced you have to replace the whole front of the tractor.
    If it was a 1946 and at sometime the engine seized, someone could have bought the front half of a 1944 9N and rebuilt it....
    Just a thought
    Take Care, Captain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Hey Cappy,
    Have you gotten a chance to show the previous owner what his old ride looks like yet?