Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where I been and what I've been doing (beside Farm work)

Bwana I'd love to restore that Tractor for you but the distance would be the factor... Unless you are willing to haul it over here. Replacing the head would be no problem. Repairs on the cracked head would be expensive and I would not trust a welded cracked head.... JMHO.
    Now haul it over here to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Have been busy during the cold, rainy snap we have had burning some of the land at the farm. Not have a climate controlled paint booth it's hard to paint when it's cold and wet. I have managed to get the centers of the rear wheels painted and ready. I've got one of the rear wheels ready to paint. I opted to keep the tires on the rims mainly because mounting the tires back on the rims after I finish them will cause a lot of damage to the paint.

IMG_3238.JPGIMG_3250.JPGIMG_3265.JPG
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Looking good and be sure to keep us posted on the progress. I for one am really enjoying this.

Any thoughts on where to obtain a replacement head for the AR?

Thanks Larke, I'll take a look around and see what I can find.

Finally got a day to paint the rear rims.

Now on to the hood and fenders....
    Getting close!
    Take Care, Captain

Attached Images Attached Images

As good as you are with a paint can you must have done some pretty neat graffiti on the side of boxcars as a kid.

Man, what a great job. And what a lot of elbow grease that had to be!
    BKB

Started Putting the 3-point hitch back together. The Green “plate” over the PTO insert is a temp plate I made. I pulled the PTO shaft out and replaced the seal. When I drained the oil out of the Hydraulics and Transmission fluid I wanted to clean these compartments. So I plugged the back off and put in 5 gallons of Diesel fuel to wash everything out.
    I allowed the fuel to stay in for about 2 weeks, turning the transmission frequently to wash all gears and parts.
    IMG_3377.JPGIMG_3379.JPGIMG_3388.JPG

Got the hood and fenders done and ready to tape off the "Ford" on each fender and both sides of the hood and paint that lettering Red...
    This is gonna be tricky... and best wait on a warmer day.
    Take Care, Captain

IMG_3403.JPGIMG_3405.JPGIMG_3406.JPG

Oh, I guess the light make these look different colors, but the fenders, hood, front wheels and the center of the rear wheels are all the same color. Just noticed they looked different for some reason. But I assure you they are all out of the same can of paint. (1939-1962 Ford gray)

You have GOT to take that beast to some tractor shows this spring/summer.
    You'll have it all finished up pretty soon at the rate you are going.

You have really done a super job on that 8N. I know the ol' feller that was the original owner will tear-up when he sees his old friend all prettied up.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

PUT THE DAMN THING BACK TOGETHER ALREADY!!!!!!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I'm trying to Len... There is LOTS of details still to do. I've got every piece original so far down to the original water transfer stickers. Cool/wet weather has held me up as much as anything. Just have to wait on days that are right in order to paint. I still got the two front "side" panels to paint and the red lettering to do.
    The last piece to do is the front grill. I really want to use the original one. However there is some damage to it and it will have to be hand fitted back to the hood/frame.
    Basically I have to have the tractor completely back together before I can even start working on that part. And of course ill have to be very careful because the hood and side panels will be finished and in place and I cannot (do not) want to scratch them.
    I could purchase an original equipment replacement grill for about 400 bucks, which perhaps might be the best way to go, but I really want to put the original back...
    Hopefully ill be done before Turkey season comes in. If not there could be a conflict!
    Take care, Captain

Slacker.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Many things in life impress me. Probably because I literally know how to do so very little. I have always envied those that work with their hands.........cars, motors, welding, electrical, plumbing, none of that. In fact, I have often wondered how I got by, knowing so little.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

You ought to see that canoe he rebuilt. He's every bit an artist. Reminds me of someone in my family. I have a cousin who took a piece of obsidian, a deer antler, and some leather and made the prettiest tommyhawk you'll ever lay eyes on. You met him, my cousin Ron. Larke is like that.
    I have stonehands. Wish I could do that stuff.
    BKB

Thank you both... Ill try to find some before and after pictures of the canoe and post one day.
    Posthole it ain't been in the water since our group trip on the Shenandoah River.
    It need to get back in the water.... Hint, hint

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I learned long ago to limit my efforts to unskilled labor. Anything past changing my oil or painting and it's cheaper in the long run for me to hire someone. My travel schedule should be easier this summer if we want to take another run at a fishing trip.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Doubt you'd want me, but I'm retired.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

You're always welcome in my camp.

I can cook!

Got a good warn day yesterday and got the "Ford" painted on the fenders....
    Also found a guy locally that has some odd and end parts for 8N's. I was able to buy a fender bracket for a work light and a original tail light as well as two head lights and mounting brackets and reinforcement plates for twenty bucks. These same parts would have cost north of 200 bucks to replace. Of course there is more work in the ones I bought because I've got to strip the old paint off as well as deal with rust and pitting but as Si would say, Hey I got all the stuff to do it with already....
    Take Care, Captain

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm really impressed with your attention to detail sir and can't wait to see the finished project.

Now, if I could just find a way to ship my AR to you...

Man, that is going to be beautiful. Some day, I want to get a belly full of wilderberry juice and take that bad boy for a spin.

OK Got a few good days of working in...
    Found an old original tail light and totally rebuilt it
    Before:
    IMG_3468.JPG

And After:
    IMG_3556.JPG

Also found an old original Worklight and fender bracket. It was in rough shape, read LOTS of hours rebuilding it.
    Before:
    IMG_3538.JPG

And After:
    IMG_3572.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG

Painted the "Ford" on each side of the hood this morning and put the hood and front fenders and gas tank together.
    IMG_3561.JPG
    IMG_3567.JPG

And just a little while ago I got it all back together...
    Said I wanted to be finished with it by Turkey season and other than waiting on the two headlight rings to get here in the mail I've done it. The season opens Monday!!!
    It's running like a sewing machine...
    I'm tired.
    IMG_3569.JPG

Take Care, Captain

That's freakin amazing Larke! Well done!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I want to see pictures of your friend's face when he sees it. Does he know anything about it?
    BKB

He knows I'm fixing it up, but not to the extent I restored it. He will be surprised for sure. As soon as I get the headlights in it perhaps today or tomorrow ill probably get him to come over and take it for a ride if he still can. If not be can certainly look it over.
    Take Care, Captain

I'm proud to know you, Larke. You're a helluva good guy, ya know it?

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

BKB

Reminds me of a story. Long time ago, a fellow I know of built a car of some kind.....race car maybe, or something, I honestly can't remember details..........and never once looked at the door. When he finished, he tried to get it out the door, and of course it wouldn't fit..........

That is one WELL done job Larke!