Thread: Jim.. (resident picker and ebay guru)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

Jim.. (resident picker and ebay guru)

may I pick your brain a moment? We recently had a big "purge" around here.. filled a pretty good sized dumpster. In the process of cleaning one of sheds I found a box with some vintage Hamms glasses (boys split them up) but with them were 10 golden anniversary glasses (1900-1950) from the Shrine temple in Des Moines. They look like new. (I think I vaguely remember someone got them in a bunch of stuff at an auction and "Here, you're the only Mason I know" kind of thing).

So, question is: If you were going to try to sell them on ebay.. would you offer 10? 2? 1? - or is the "potential buyer" group not large enough it would it be worth fooling with? thnx..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 07-18-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

That's a tough one. Generally, glass is a tough sell (been there, done that). In fact, I have about 50 Kentucky Derby glasses here that I've been sitting on for ages. I've sold some singles, but they're almost not worth it due to the packaging needed, etc. Now SOME of the very early glasses bring good money ... I just don't have any. I've also dabbled in the sports editions, etc, etc, but try to avoid them these days.

That said, I DID find ONE of your glasses that sold. Who knows? The guy who bought this one, might be looking for more!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shriner-ZA-...p2047675.l2557

Personally, since it's pretty much a LOCAL history item, I'd think you might do better listing on Craig's List to see if you get any bites. It costs you nothing (eBay has fees) plus they would most likely sell locally and you wouldn't have the hassle of shipping, etc.

That said, if I were to list them on eBay, I'd list them as single glasses with 12 available. That way, anyone interested can buy whatever number they want up to your 12 total. Your listing will automatically adjust. For example, if you sell two, your listing will automatically change to read: "2-sold, 10-available".

You may offer an adjustment for shipping with multiple sales. For example, the one that sold above charged $7.95 shipping. If someone bought all 12, I seriously doubt they'd want to pay close to $100 shipping! There are a couple ways to work with that ... the easiest is to have them contact you for shipping charges BEFORE purchasing so that you can figure what you need for shipping, then make adjustments.

If you want to keep it simple, I'd list them as a "Lot of 12" so you'd only have to deal with one transaction. You may want to add in your listing to contact you if someone wants fewer, then you can work out a special deal with them. But, I'm probably getting more complicated than I need to be. It's just that there are multiple ways to handle it.

Sorry for the Thump Answer ... but it's what I do!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    $6.95 Just what I needed to know..I'm kind of liking the Craig's List idea.. or.. I still have some contacts in the Shrine.. Maybe I'll see if ZA GA ZIG is interested in a donation.. thanks..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Heck, they may want to auction them off at one of their functions. Good luck with it.

Something to keep in mind, that eBay buyer actually paid $14.42 for that one glass. Now, to get $15 apiece for all 12 might be shooting for the moon, I don't really know since that's the ONLY sale showing.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain