What's the easiest way to spot a fake? Ever since watching that guy hammering these things out at that Pioneer Days thing, it's baffled me. He used the same method as ancient Indians, using all stone implements in the process. I mean, it's not like you can carbon date the things. An ancient arrowhead and a modern one would still be millions of years old, as far as the stone is concerned. I know certain area tribes had distinctive traits, but couldn't you simply duplicate whatever style you're trying to mimic? Using the correct stone for the area? I asked my vet about that once, but we didn't really have time to talk as he had another customer waiting and I needed to get going anyway. He did mention you could see the difference in wear ... if it looks "new", it may very well be. BUT, he said some of the makers will acid wash and sandblast their piece to add patina. I've gone to roadside souvenir shops out west that had large bins of arrowheads for like $1 each and I have to assume they were all recently "manufactured".

Is it way obvious to the trained eye? Or can modern "fakes" even fool the old-time collectors? I know, as a kid, I'd pick the things up in freshly plowed fields out in the middle of nowhere, so I have ZERO doubt they were authentic. But if buying from a private party, it seems like a coin toss. Is it really worth the price of professional authentication for a more common piece? I wouldn't be surprised if half the arrowheads out there these days used to have "Made in China" stickers on 'em!

I know when dealing with many counterfeit products, especially fake "old" stuff, the biggest giveaway is that the piece is too "perfect". A true antique and old hand-made items should show flaws and wear, etc. Like a CZ, a true diamond will not be perfect, but a CZ will. It seems, with an arrowhead, it would be easy to add flaws, chips, inclusions ... that sort of thing. It sucks that one should have to worry about crap like that.