I've been watching this (Israel trip) fiasco with Rashida Tlaib (and Omar) and one thing stands out to me.

The original trip was sponsored by Miftah, a Palestinian rights group led by the veteran Palestinian negotiator Hanan Ashrawi. I would have to think that trip would fall under the guise of "official business". So, between the "sponsorship" and whatever government perks are dished out, this would have been a FREE trip for Tlaib. Of course, I'm SURE us low-life taxpayers would be co-sponsors.

I find it odd that it started out as a "business trip", but when she was barred entry, the intention of the trip all of a sudden became a visit to her grandmother! Ok, so Israel does an about face and says it's ok if she is simply coming to visit her grandmother and it now becomes a "humanitarian" trip ... a "personal vacation" so to speak. But no, now she can scream about how she's being discriminated against ... and has changed her mind about the visit ... on principle of course. Or better yet, as she Tweeted:

“Visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions stands against everything I believe in—fighting against racism, oppression & injustice.”

What happened to poor old granny? She hasn't bothered to visit ol' granny in over a decade. Why not? No free trip until now? Was she fine with the visit as long as someone else was picking up the tab? Now that all she can do is visit grandma if she chooses to go, makes it PERSONAL business and it'll have to come out of HER pocket! Did anyone ever think maybe THAT is her reason for refusing to go? Instead, she can refuse to go and simply make it political while crying about being discriminated against and treated like a criminal. It makes good press.

I guess her elderly granny ain't all that important after-all. Sorry granny ... evidently Rashida's ... ummmm, "principles" are more important than you are.