Thread: Hey Thump !!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar

Hey Thump !!

You're the cast iron go to person,so see if you can help me out.
    Wife found this while cleaning out some old boxes.
    No name, but made in the US
    Look familiar ?ci skillet.jpg
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Yessir. That’s a BSR (Birmingham Stove & Range) Century model. Nice skillets, but not super popular with collectors. They DO have a following though. A clean no. 5 might bring $20-$30 or so, but buyers are a little scarce (I've seen 'em go for $10). Yours is a later (very late '67 - '89) model, which is after they did away with the machined finish (except for the cooking surface), so they're even less desirable, but still mildly collectible. It's a nice user piece if you like cooking with ci. As a side note, I have sold quite a few BSR pieces, usually the earlier pieces if I can get 'em for $2-$3 (shipping kills my profit margin).

I used to have a BSR turntable.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! I remember those! As for the ci, it’s “technically” BS&R .... although everybody drops the ampersand when referring to it.

Here ya' go Bubba.

Atlanta Stove Works

Founded: 1889

The Atlanta Stove Works company was founded in 1889 (originally named Georgia Stove Company) to produce cast-iron stoves. Initially, their business boomed to the point where in 1902, a separate foundry was built in Birmingham, Alabama, especially for the production of hollow ware and cast-iron cookware to supplement their stoves. This separate foundry was named Birmingham Stove & Range. From the early 1900s through the 1970s, Birmingham Stove & Range foundry produced a line of cast-iron pans that are described as "unmarked:" they had no manufacturer logo or other identifying mark. These "unmarked" cast-iron skillets and pans from Birmingham Stove & Range are widely available and used on a daily basis, even in the present day. Birmingham Stove & Range filed for bankruptcy in 1989, and their holdings were acquired by Lodge Manufacturing.

And -----------------------------------------------------------------

Major changes came to Birmingham Stove & Range in the 1960s, with the introduction of automated production using DISAMATIC equipment during the years 1966 through 1968. This removed a lot of the hand-finished procedures from the production of its cast iron – and the result was a cast iron pan that was still good quality, but it no longer had the "smooth as glass" feel of previous BS&R pans. With the introduction of DISA automated production, BS&R re-designed their skillets to provide exact sizes and measurements. 1966 saw the introduction of skillets with a size number listed as NO. along with a size measurement of IN. The majority of BS&R pans, especially their skillets, were machine-polished to give the cooking surface a smooth feel; while the outside and underside of the pan retained a rough surface, rather than being smooth all over. Automated production greatly increased the output of the BS&R facility, and in only a couple of years a great number of these new pans were shipped to suppliers across the country.

Within two years after introducing the newly redesigned Century pans, BS&R began adding a MADE IN USA mark to its cookware. This was a marketing move meant to strike back against the surge of cheaply made imported cast iron pans from Asia. The MADE IN USA mark was added beginning in late 1967, and by 1968 almost all BS&R pans bore this mark.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain