Thread: Hot sauce question

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar

Hot sauce question

Posty: I am going to make a batch of hot sauce in a few days and have a question for you or anyone else who brews their own pepper sauce.

I'm guessing you put the peppers in a blender, then boil it, then reblend it. Is this right? And then filter it before canning it?

Thanks,
    Will

Funny you should mention pepper sauce, as I am bottling a new batch of mine this week.

My recipe isn’t fancy but it works for a pretty good hot sauce. I grow tabasco peppers. I just use red ripe peppers for red sauce and sometimes I make a green sauce that I use unripe tabasco peppers and add some sweet green pappers to add a little different flavor. Its great on beans.

I boil my peppers in half vinegar/water until they are soft and then puree the whole shooting match in a ninja. Then I strain that through a seive to remove seeds into quart jars. I seal those in a boiling water bath and stick them in the back of the pantry for a year. Once in a while I give them a good shake. After a year I add about half again as much cider vinegar and bottle it. Which vinegar to use is your choice. I like the cider vinegar because its a little sweeter and doesn’t have as much ‘bite’. I like the bite to come from the peppers. And they do bite, I will guarantee as old Justin would say.
    I’m bottling last years batch this week. I’ll send you a bottle if you’d like to try it.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Similar to Barry, but I don’t age my sauce and typically will add some grilled fruit (like mango or pineapple) or carrots to give it some body. I also think using a premium vinegar like white wine or rice can make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm anxious to get some made. I've already put up a bunch for making chili.

Got an odd bunch of peppers. A bunch of hot Hungarian and Pablano, a few elephant trunks, lemon jalapenos, and Brazilian starfish.... Ice no idea how it will come out.

Will