Yep, it's been a really tough week. I get up every day at 4:00 am (I'm a morning person anyway) and go in to sit with "mom", hold her hand and "talk" to her. The final family members flew into town late last night, so everybody was going to be there to visit her this morning. She's never awakened since I started this post on Wednesday (UNTIL this morning, but more on that later). The priest came back later Wednesday afternoon and administered last rites.

I went in at 4:00 am this morning and texted the family to let them know I was with her. They said they'd be in around 9:00 am or so. At 8:50 am, mom squeezed my hand, opened her eyes and looked at me! I told her all of her children are in town and will be coming in a little later to see her. (I'm getting choked up here) She was unable to speak or move really, but squeezed my hand again, I noticed a tear roll down her cheek, then she was out again. I washed her face and around 9:15, the family arrived. I told them what had happened and they were a bit upset that they weren't there, but they all, one by one, gave her a hug and said hello to her. As we were all talking (I was still sitting next to her), I again felt a slight squeeze on my hand and her eyes barley parted. I hollered at the family that she's AWAKE. They all gathered around, gave her a kiss and another tear ran down her cheek, then she was out again. I swear, I think she was waiting for them to show up! Damn, I have tears running down my face now just writing about it. She's had ZERO water or food of any kind since Tuesday and I notice her breathing is much more shallow and a bit labored today. She's expected to pass at almost any time now, but who knows? She may hang in another day, but I think she was waiting for all her children to get here before she let's go. I can't tell you how glad I was that she awoke the second time this morning, because, so far, it's only happened when I was alone with her.

I'm home now to grab a sammich, but will be returning shortly, to be with the family. We're just about to lose a wonderful lady, but at 95+, she's had a good life .... AND she got to see the family before she leaves. .