Thread: Any of you guys pocket knife "collectors"?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

Any of you guys pocket knife "collectors"?

My favorite pattern has always been the "muskrat".. I thought I might try to accumulate a few - mostly just edc types.. Damn... Looked at "vintage" first - then new.. I ain't the only one who likes them..

20191001_090935.jpg

Only one of these is a 'rat (the Old Timer).. Top one - I just picked up. Bench Made assisted.. It's sharp (they all are )
    Last edited by HideHunter; 10-20-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’m not really a collector, bit I do have a few and rarely leave the house without one in my pocket. Around here, I’m probably a rarity in that department.

Cool carving on the antler in your pic. Did you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I have a couple Old Timer lock blades that I’ve had for years. I have always thought highly of most Schrade made knives. My very first pocket knife was a little three blade Old Timer that an uncle got me for my 12th birthday. Somewhere along the line I broke the points off of two of the blades and discarded it. Sure wish I’d kept it.
    The rest are many variations of Buck lock blades.
    My carry knife is an old Puma Bantam that came in a bunch of pocket knives that I got from Thumper. It was the jewel in that pile.
    I’ve been asking for a new pile for a long time, but Thumper hasn’t come up with any more!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Edit: Sorry P-hole, I was writing while you were posting. Here's a pile, but I doubt there's anything here that would be worthy of your collection.

Cappy has a few million and P-hole likes to pigeon-hole a few here and there. I'm sure there are others here. Me? Like most everything else, I USED to have a shit-load of knives, but when I transformed from collector to seller, I dumped everything I had. I DO pick them up at estate sales though and just scored on a pile of them a few weeks ago. I was at an estate sale and found a 5-gal. bucket out in the shed. It had a bunch of towels and rags, etc in it, but there were some old tools in there that were totally rusted. The roof had leaked and the towels had gotten wet. It was a mess. I like digging through crap like that, but this was pretty nasty and smelly. I pulled the bucket out and it was heavy from wet towels, tools and possibly water for all I knew. I was looking for a spot to dump it out on the floor to see what was in there and the guy running the sale asked what I was doing. I told him and he said it looked like I was just going to make a mess, then asked if I was a gambler. "Not really, why?" He said I could have the whole bucket and whatever was in it for $5. I told him I'd take that gamble as I can many times clean up rusty tools if they're not too bad. I simply threw the bucket in the back of my truck and dragged it home. Once home, I removed the top layer of tools and wet towels and found a shit-load of frigging knives under the mess. 90% of them were in large plastic, Zip-Loc bags! Most are cheaper crap, Boker, Remington, S&W, Schrade and maybe a few others I've forgotten. It looks like the guy bought a bunch of "collector knives" crap on Home Shopping Club or something. I don't think there's anything terribly exciting here. All are (or were) new and many were still in their boxes or plastic wrappers! Some were not bagged and I threw a few away as they just weren't close to salvageable. Interestingly, some of the un-protected items were blank blades, like you'd use to make your own knife. I have pics of the pile here. I removed the wet crap and put all of them aside. I haven't started cleaning them up or even messing with them yet. I'll get around to it one of these days and throw them up on eBay. I should be able to at least get my $5 back without too much effort! (which was lucky because 90% of the tools were worthless crap)

Here are some of the "cleaner" ones:

DSCN3328.JPG DSCN3329.JPG

Here are the blade blanks. I'm not sure how well they'll clean up, or what to do with them, but I'll figure something out.

DSCN3330.JPG

Coincidentally, there's a local estate sale here this week (Thurs & Fri) that has a few knives, but Lynn and I are leaving for a long weekend at the beach Thurs. morning, so I won't make it to this one.

knives.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Are those a couple of old Barlows in the top picture?

When I was in the Air Force in Florida, I worked on weekends and evenings as a handyman and carpenter. I had a Barkow knife in my toolbox that would cut shingles like a champ, and just about anything else you dared to cut with it. mine had a drop point. Not sure whatever happened to it. I think my partner in crime that I did a lot of work with prolly ‘borrowed’ it.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

The one below the blue one is an Old Timer, not sure about the other one. (I assume you're talking about Hidey-Ho's pic)

Tell me what you’ll take for the whole shootin’ match, sight unseen + shipping.

There looks to be a keeper or two in there. I think that lock blade in the leather scabbard might be an Old Timer.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ummm, you talkin' ta' me boy? I assume you're talking about my final pic? I know I get "wordy" and people don't actually read my posts, but those are at a sale here this weekend ... but I'll be leaving town the day of the sale.

P-hole, if there's anything in that last pic that you think you'd REALLY like to have, the sale is only about 10-mins. from my house. We won't be leaving until probably around noon, so I'd have time to run over there if I really needed to. The prob. is, this company is out of Orlando and I'm not at all familiar with them, so I have no idea how their pricing is. There are many companies around that I don't even bother with. Some sell (what I call) at "retail" prices. The prices may be good for someone buying for themselves, but since I have to have room to re-sell, I only frequent the companies who sell more at "wholesale" prices, so that I still have room for a profit. It's a learning process when getting into this estate sale thing. You have to learn through experience as to who will work with you and who won't. I'd be going in blind on this one as I've never attended one of their sales.

Here's the lead-in to this sale:

This was a very last minute sale and we're working as fast as we can to pull it together for you. This house is packed with great finds. We still have a lot of photos to add...mainly outdoors, garage and tools. Keep checking back for updates.

There may be a few interesting things to dig around in here. I thought this item was kinda cool. I don't know if it belongs to the owner or not.

secserv1.jpg secserv2.jpg

I did do the dremel work on the antlers, CD.. unfortunately - I'm not much of an arteest.

Only thing "collectible" in my pic is the Boker Tree Brand trapper. Got it in a gun trade..

So- gentlemen.. I'm really only interested in muskrats (don't much care what brand) at this point.. If you've accumulated any you want to part with.. give me a shot. I have a half can of chew, a couple bottle caps and $3.12 hard cash money.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I love knives and I have about 10, I would love more but my problem is I like expensive knives. Most of mine are worth a couple hundred each and I have 2 that are worth $500 each so my collection is pretty small.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Whatcha got, Trav? I've always like knives - always carried at least one..For some reason I've just gotten more "interested"..

edit: I was ordering a pair of electronic ear muffs this morning and found an Uncle Henry on clearance.. I'll soon have *two* muskrats in my collection.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 10-22-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I have 3 handmade knives by a guy here in Oklahoma, Dave McCroskey, 3 Out the Front Microtech’s, Winkler knives Blue Ridge and a few others. Below is the last set of McCroskey trapper set I got. He measures your hand and builds the handles to fit.

24BF1584-06B0-4302-9504-9B6FA9255F1C.jpg
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

very cool..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    More a gatherer than a collector. Some of these are 50 years old, back when I was a kid I loved a good knife,( usually one that cost less than $5)
    About 25 years ago I got into collecting Michigan made Marble Knifes, today these sell for anywhere from $150 up,
    I have two customs, one with walrus ivory with an elk carved into it, the other with some nice green laminate.
    All the others are prizes or gifts, some day the grand kids can fight over them.
    I did order a special 1911 knife and had it made with Ivory handles to match my engraved 1911.

The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

That’s a nice Ka-bar JB! Is that original issue?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Not that old, Originals date back to WWII, mine is an original Ka-BAR made in Olean NY but dates to the 70's
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I was wondering if it was issued to you when you were a young jarhead.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Posty, I think you had to be in a combat zone to be issued one, not sure, but never saw any issued to troops stationed in US.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I agree with Posty, that is a nice collection.

It is funny how knife collecting brings out different tastes. I look at mine and I have a ton of pocket knives and a few fixed... the inverse of yours. I'm a terrible collector. Something strikes my fancy and I'll be a buyer for a few years and then not buy a thing for years on end. I have basically three groups, one Case from the 60s and 70s, one Queen from the early to mid aughts, and one Great Eastern from 2010 to 2014 or so.

Ebay kind of changed knife collecting for good. Some good and some bad. But me getting into middle age probably changed my knife collecting more than anything else.

Will

beautiful jb!

I’m surprised Arty hasn’t chimed I’m in on this thread. I hear he loves a good sharp knife.

Oh, wait...

Artie needs to talk to Bert. I’m not sure if shooting your hand or cutting your hand is more painful. Be nice to know wouldn’t it?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Artie needs to talk to Bert. I’m not sure if shooting your hand or cutting your hand is more painful. Be nice to know wouldn’t it?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Judging from the pics they both posted, I’ll take the knife thankyiuverymuch!

lol.. so much for my muskrat knife collection.. The Uncle Henry I ordered came.. it's not a true muskrat (they called it that).. has some kind of a damn "gut hook" affair on it.. So, my collection remains at "one".. (it did sharpen up like a razor.. we'll see if it holds an edge)