Arty, kind of embarrassed to admit how far the shot was because even though, according to Bucky, that I live in the land of no trees and endless horizons, I could have probably taken somewhere approaching half the deer I've taken in my life with an accurate slug gun. Some of that is because a lot of the hunting we have done amounts to flushing deer out of cattail sloughs and shooting them when they bust out.

The night we arrived for the hunt everything was covered in snow. The next day temps were pushing 50 degrees so a fair amount of the snow melted but what was left had a crusting of ice which made walking on it similar to walking across a bed of 6" deep cornflakes. The morning we spotted my buck there wasn't hardly a breath of wind, so every little sound was crazy loud which made sneaking up on a critter with ears the size of small umbrellas nearly impossible. Those conditions coupled with the fact that this was the biggest muley I had ever seen caused me to take a shot longer than I normally would even though I had practiced at longer ranges this summer.

Long way of explaining that the shot was 467 yards.