Thread: Question (baseball fans)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

Question (baseball fans)

Can anyone explain to me why Lou Whitaker doesn’t get any respect from HOF voters? He was a one and done on the ballot when he was first eligible and now even the veterans committee ignored him.

The guy’s stats are definitely hall worthy (#7 WAR all time for 2nd basemen, better than many that are already in the HOF) and there is not a hint of controversy attached to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Sweet Lou certainly deserves it more than Harold friggin Baines does.

I gaveup on the baseball hof years ago, when they blacklisted stars from the ped era and stillput in Bud Selig, whose main claim to fame is he made owners much richer. The ‘veterans committee’ selections are the worse.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I thought that he had a chance this time since most of the veterans committee were his contemporaries and Trammell and Morris got in a couple of years ago.

Maybe he just wasn’t flashy enough and not the big talker with the media.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Sweet Lou certainly deserves it more than Harold friggin Baines does.

I gave up on the baseball hof years ago, when they blacklisted stars from the ped era and stillput in Bud Selig, whose main claim to fame is he made owners much richer. The ‘veterans committee’ selections are the worse.

BKb
    Especially since Barry Bonds was most likely a serious Roid user, they never even looked at him seriously. He went from 165 lbs up to 235 almost overnight.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Consider this: Baseball banned steroids in ‘91. The strike happened in ‘94. Baseball didn’t start player testing for peds until 2003. Why? Because they needed those stars, Caminiti, Mcgwire, sosa, Bonds, Clements, 80% of players used them then according to some reports. Baseball attendance and ratings were slumping. Amphetamine use was rampant. Read Jim Bouton’s ‘Ball Four’ some time. It goes all the way back to Babe Ruth injecting extracts from sheep testicles. Think they’d boot Ruth from the Hall? Mantle injected all kinds of shit.

The gall of MLB is amazing, and the most gall of all is from the Hall of Shame, er Fame.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

The sad thing about Bonds is that he was good enough before the roids that he had a good chance at making the hall anyway.

True!
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    While we're on the subject of the HOF, I'm curious how what Pete Rose did is worse than juicing. I mean, it's not like he was pinch hitting a .167 hitter with the bases loaded and the game on the line, and if I remember right he said he never bet on his team to lose. And why he and Mark Mcguire were singled out among all the other cheaters. Or do I even need to ask?

A whole of hypocrisy iff'n you ask me
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I’ll be honest here and say mainly because I disliked Pete Rose so much I never paid much attention to the details of his ordeal. What I do remember is that he did admit to betting on baseball while he was a player-manager. The rules are pretty clear about that. I don’t think that should keep him out of the Hall though. And please let the guy be recognized by his fans in an official capacity. Even though he was an azzhole.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I was just going to bring up Rose. He should be in the hall. Keep him banned from being involved in baseball but put the guy in the HOF where he deserves to be based on his playing career.