You'll love the GSP, especially if you put some early work into her. I think you made the right choice with a female, mine was a male and a huge PITA when he wasn't hunting. I moved from Oklahoma to Seattle and mine:

1. Chewed through the wooden fence and got out. Mind you I lived in Microsoft corporate housing at the time. I gave them a call and they fixed it for free! Yay, me...or so I thought

2. They (corporate) was a bit less forgiving when I called to say that he had chewed all the siding off the back of the house 4 foot up. They did come fix it but it cost me $1200.

3. I lost my mind for the third and put him in the mud room. I came home and he had chewed/clawed through the sheet rock on both sides and his head was sticking through into the garage when i opened it.

With that said that dog in a milo field could come to a dead stop, while running 40 miles an hours, swirl and point a pheasant that was 20 yard away. Over the years I became much more of a dog watcher than an actual hunter. I still enjoyed upland hunting but watching him work was amazing.

One thing I use to do is tie a quail wing to a fishing pole when he was a pup and bounce it. I wish I still had the video but he would point at 12 weeks old.