A couple years ago, I decided to upgrade my AmEx Gold Card to a Platinum Card. Some confusion ensued as my Gold Card was a business card that I just never converted since closing my business. My shiny new Platinum BUSINESS card arrived in the mail shortly after the conversation with AmEx. I called, they apologized for the misunderstanding, cancelled the business card and promptly sent me my PERSONAL Platinum Card.

If youse dufes aren't aware, the Platinum card is metal and is shipped in a nice box (a welcome package) and the card itself arrives nestled in a very nice, wooden card holder, which, when flipped over, can be used as a cell phone or tablet stand. Now, once I received my new card, I threw all the packaging away from the original Business card, but how the "F" do you cut up a metal credit card? (I always cut my old cards into many pieces before throwing them away). I threw it into a desk drawer and just this morning, decided to clear out some clutter. I took the card into the garage and cut it up with some sheet metal shears I have in my tool box.

Also in that drawer was the packaging for my new card ... with the phone stand I mentioned above. Just out of curiosity, I checked eBay to see if anybody was interested in the phone stand. Damn! Those suckers are selling for $30-$40 and every one that has been listed, has been sold. WTF? I have no use or need for it, so I snapped a couple pics and threw it up for $30 on The Bay for a quick sale. (I even included the box as I can use it for shipping)

DSCN4461.JPG DSCN4452.JPG

DSCN4453.JPG DSCN4459.JPG

Now, what's really weird is, while digging around checking prices on these things, I noticed people are selling their old, expired, deactivated CARDS! Heck, the expired metal cards are bringing $50 - $100! WTF? The ONLY thing that comes to MY mind, is some sort of counterfeiting. How, I don't know. They're advertised as "props". Heck, the seller's names are even on the cards. I've always said people will buy ANYTHING on eBay, but this seems really weird to me. What really pisses me off is, after it sat in my desk drawer for two years, I JUST finished destroying that old business card that's been deactivated since I first received it. I guess I could have sold it, but the thought makes me a bit uncomfortable even though I know it's useless. Does anybody have ANY idea why somebody would want these things? I'm sure if it was a problem, both eBay and AmEx would be all over it. Weird.