Thread: Nature Science question.....

Nature Science question.....

Why does it get colder just after the sun comes up? It was 41 when I got up at 6:15 this morning. The sun came upand it dropped to 37. I’ve noticed the same thing sitting in a stand before daylight all cozy amd warm and then the sun comes up amd the next thing you know yourfeet are cold and your shivering like a dog passing a peach pit.
    I never really looked at a thermometer to check if it just seemed colder. But thos morning at my house it sure as hell did!

Must have something to do with warm air rising or something.

Who knows?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    and the wind picks up too!...it's always darkest before the dawn I've heard?

Believe it or not, I actually learned that in a weather course I took. Well, not a course actually, it was part of a science class many years ago. You're right about the warm air rising. Right at dawn, the sun starts heating the earth and the warm air rises. It displaces the cold air in the upper atmosphere, which drops to cause the cooling you're talking about. Like you, I always noticed that on my deer stand and I always thought about that weather class years ago.

Clear nights are also cooler/colder than cloudy nights. The clouds hold in the warmer air from the day and prevent it from escaping into the upper atmosphere at night. Works like a blanket.

Odd how certain (relatively unimportant) things you learn as a kid gets etched in your mind, while the more important stuff is easily forgotten. Useless trivia I suppose. In that same class, the teacher showed us a pic of a flag pole on the coast. In one pic, the flag was blowing toward shore. In the other pic, it was blowing the opposite direction. She then asked us what part of the day were those pics depicting. Huh? Who the "F" knows?

We then learned about onshore vs. offshore breezes, The wind blows onshore (seabreeze) during the day, but from land toward the ocean at night. It's due to the fact land heats and cools faster than water and the warmer body draws the air toward it as the heated air rises.

Damn I'm smart.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I can remember sitting under a big water oak when I was 13, waiting for the sun to come up so it would chase away the hoodoos and for the squirrels to come out. I’d get cold as hell until I killed the first red squirrel. Then I wouldn’t feel a damn bit cold. Same held true for deer and ducks! And the same is true now fishing on cold winter mornings. One big bass....

Here’s my last nice one, caught on Dec 13, 2019. 6-4. I don’t think I’m longarming her too much.

BKB

614C83E4-5EA5-4D2B-95F8-CE45DF093E3D.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

That looks like the same exact fish Cappy caught!

Which reminds me ... did you dufes ever come clean with that "contest" result?

Come clean? My conscience is clear.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And where is Cappy these days? Does HE have a clear conscience?

If I’d met Captain when I was 12 my Mom would’ve shook her finger at me with a warning about bad influences.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

If I'd met him when I was 12, my mom would have asked why I'm hangin' out with a 7-year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If I'd met him when I was 12, my mom would have asked why I'm hangin' out with a 7-year old.
    A 7 year old hairy midget is nothing to mess around with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk