Thread: RIP

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

RIP

He was definitely one of the greats.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ituary-936221/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Another great one gone. These days, it's like a double-edged sword reading things like this. I'm 8-mos. older than he was. You just never know what tomorrow will bring and these days, I start to wonder how many "tomorrows" I have left. RIP Neil. You were one of my favorites.

Deppity, I never was thrilled with drum solos until I attended a Sly and the Family Stone concert in high school (1968 I think?). I remember doobies making the rounds and it seemed once one would come by moving left to right, a bomber would come by from right to left. Then there'd be a tap on your back and one would make it's way from the upper level of the stands to the lower level ... and repeat ... and repeat. It was crazy, but hey, it was the 60's! Anyway, the band was in the middle of the set when Greg Errico went into a KICK-ASS drum solo and the band slowly disappeared off-stage for a break. I swear that solo lasted 20 frigging minutes and the crowd went crazy! Finally, the band slowly walked back on stage and picked up where they'd left off and finished the song! I "think" I was getting hooked on the drum solo idea!

Shortly after that came Iron Butterfly and when Ron Bushy did his solo during In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, I became hopelessly hooked and started paying more attention to drummers and their talents. Neil Peart became one of my favorites and what I really liked about him is, I thought he was super intelligent for a danged "rock band drummer". He really is (was) a fascinating guy and if you can spare 3-hours of time you'll never recover in your life, he has a heck of a video. It's probably not for everybody, but I've listened to it from beginning to end probably 3 times.

Note: For some reason, I always thought he looked like Tom Hanks in this video.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain