Thread: A Good Day

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

A Good Day

Yesterday was a good day. Things went really well at work. I was firing on all cylinders and the students were fully engaged. After work I had just enough time to fish for about 30 minutes. I only caught one fish, but what a beautiful fish! When I got in my 4 Runner to head home and switched on the ignition, Boston's More Than A Feeling was playing on the stereo. So I turned it waaaaaaay up. Life was pretty much perfect in that moment. Troy Adams 1-13-2020.jpg

Beautiful fish ... AND photography!

Did I miss something? Or am I just having a brain fart? When did you get the 4-Runner? I was just at the dealership looking at the new ones yesterday, going back today. BUT ... I've had a Toyota pick-up since my first one in 1981 and I'm having a problem getting away from a pick-up. Lynn has an suv (or cross-over or whatever they're called these days), so I don't really "need" a 4-Runner. Plus to switch from what I drive to what I'd like in the 4-Runner (loaded Sport model), I'm looking at about a $10,000 difference, so I'll probably be sticking with a p/u. Haven't decided yet.

What happened to the Phord?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I've had the 4 Runner over a year. The best day of my life with that Ford F150 was the day I traded it in for the 4 Runner. I hope they took that Ford straight to a trash compactor. I've never had a vehicle that cost me so much time and money. It was worse than a GM pick up and that's saying something. As for the 4 Runner it's great for most of what I do, but in two years I'm going to buy a Tacoma. If the 4 Runner is still running strong I will keep it, but it's the second 4 Runner I've had and the bottom line is I'm more of a pick up kick of guy. If I were you I'd stick with the pick up trucks, especially if Lynn already has an suv. You will thank me later for that advice.

Yessir, I’m at the dealer now actually. I’m with you, I’ve had a pick-up for so many years, I’d feel naked without one. I’m leaning about 99.9% toward another Tacoma. But, I need my head examined as my 2016 only has 13,000 miles on it. I just don’t drive much anymore and if we do any sort of road trip, we always take Lynn’s car. My problem is, that new car smell is like crack to me, so I need some sort of rehab and need to stay away from this danged dealership!

My cousin and I rode together together to a funeral in Arkansas.he offered to drive so I said hell yeah. He always has interesting car. He showed up in a fairly new Porsche Cayenne SUV. Hell of a ride. My leather in my truck doesn’t feel like the leather in that hoopie. Rrrrrrrich Corrrrrrinthian Leather.

If my wife made me get give up my truck, that’s what I’d insist on getting.

Then I’d put a trailer hitch on that sumbuck. That sure was a nice ride though. He drives like Steve McQueen too. Which he told me was the reason he had to sell his ‘74 Ferrari. It was red. Can’t imagine that attracting police attention.

Those vehicles are above my paygrade but it sure is nice to see ‘em.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Those “specialty cars” can be fun can’t they? I was at the Atlanta Speedway in 2003 (?) and Porsche had a special event going there. I had a good buddy who was a big exec with Shell Oil and he slipped me in to get me an opportunity to drive the Cayenne around the track for a few laps. It hadn’t been released in the states yet and the event was actually part of the introduction. It was basically an event for the mucky-muck dealers to familiarize themselves with the car before they hit the showrooms. It was a fun car to drive. I have to admit, I haven’t followed the model, but I remember on the track, as speed went up, the car would automatically lower itself closer to the ground for aerodynamics and handling. I thought that was cool.

In 1979 I was working at the Caddie dealer in Hollywood, Ca. and we took a Ferrari 308 GTS in on trade. (Like Tom Selleck drove in Magnum P. I.) I remember the rich dude who traded it in said it was just an impulse buy and a stupid move, so he traded it in on a Cadillac! I don’t remember the year model, but the 308 didn’t come out until ‘75, so it was basically brand new. I made a comment to the dealer about how much I loved the car and he told me to take it home for the weekend and play with it! Yes, I thrashed the hell out’ta that thing but had a bitch of a time driving it. I swear, there was like a 10” space in the floorboard for the clutch, brake and accelerator pedal! It was ridiculous and the only way I could drive it was to twist my feet sideways and use the edge of my shoes to work the pedals! With my frigging size 15 feet, I would hit the accelerator AND the brakes pedal at the same time with my right foot, then the clutch and brake pedal at the same time with my left foot! Needless to say, it was a bitch for me to drive, but I made the most of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Those “specialty cars” can be fun can’t they? I was at the Atlanta Speedway in 2003 (?) and Porsche had a special event going there. I had a good buddy who was a big exec with Shell Oil and he slipped me in to get me an opportunity to drive the Cayenne around the track for a few laps. It hadn’t been released in the states yet and the event was actually part of the introduction. It was basically an event for the mucky-muck dealers to familiarize themselves with the car before they hit the showrooms. It was a fun car to drive. I have to admit, I haven’t followed the model, but I remember on the track, as speed went up, the car would automatically lower itself closer to the ground for aerodynamics and handling. I thought that was cool.

In 1979 I was working at the Caddie dealer in Hollywood, Ca. and we took a Ferrari 308 GTS in on trade. (Like Tom Selleck drove in Magnum P. I.) I remember the rich dude who traded it in said it was just an impulse buy and a stupid move, so he traded it in on a Cadillac! I don’t remember the year model, but the 308 didn’t come out until ‘75, so it was basically brand new. I made a comment to the dealer about how much I loved the car and he told me to take it home for the weekend and play with it! Yes, I thrashed the hell out’ta that thing but had a bitch of a time driving it. I swear, there was like a 10” space in the floorboard for the clutch, brake and accelerator pedal! It was ridiculous and the only way I could drive it was to twist my feet sideways and use the edge of my shoes to work the pedals! With my frigging size 15 feet, I would hit the accelerator AND the brakes pedal at the same time with my right foot, then the clutch and brake pedal at the same time with my left foot! Needless to say, it was a bitch for me to drive, but I made the most of it!
    I think I saw you in the Poteau, Oklahoma rodeo in the summer of ‘75!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

I think I saw you in the Poteau, Oklahoma rodeo in the summer of ‘75!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Heck, did you see me TWICE?

Naaaa, I didn’t leave beautiful Jungles of S. E. Asia until the summer of ‘75. I was still riding buffalo’s and elephants back then. (And no, I ain’t talk’in about the wimmins)