Thread: ? for the baseball fans

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

? for the baseball fans

What’s your take on the Astro’s and the sign stealing controversy? MLB penalized them and they fired the GM and manager, then Boston fired their manager who was the Astro’s bench coach during the 2017 season.

Pete Rose has an interesting take on it. Will any of the players who took part be punished, and should they?

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red...eating-scandal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I personally don't have any more problem with sign stealing than football coaches sitting in the booth studying the different formations and calling the info down to the sidelines, it's part of the game. Modern sports has become over regulated and is taking game out of the hands of the players.

I totally disagree QA. You’re conflating a guy standing on second base trying to steal signs and pass them on to batter with video cameras in the stands communicating to non players who pass the signs along. My take is, if it happens inside the white lines its part of the game. When it involves people not playing or with equipment that’s not part of the game its plain and simple cheating.

The one and only reason the players aren’t involved in the punishment is because Manfred granted them immunity in exchange for their testimony.

The current commisioner and ownersare part of the problem. They futz around with the baseball in secret and collide against players and its no wonder players think its okay for them to cross thelines.

Fire all the mofos.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Barry, that’s kind of my take as well.

They were using video replays and the info was passed on to the bench and given to the players. Like you said, that’s a lot different than the base runner trying to catch a peek at the signs.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I heard somewhere last night that MLB May have gotten wind of something going on, not the full extent, and told them to cut it out. And, they ignored the warning. Their home/away splits were incredible. I am fine with the penalties.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke