Thread: Heads Up Thumper!

Heads Up Thumper!

Even with an XXXL melon, a falling iguana might give you a concussion.

On second thought...Florida iguanas, watch where you fall! There’s some hard heads down there!
    BKB

https://news.lee.net/video/featured/...11d8092ea.html
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha ha! Yeah, I think they keep that article on file, then pull it back out every time a cold snap reaches this far south, then simply change the date on the article. The things are spreading like crazy down here. When I was a kid, I used to love going to the dump to shoot rats. I think a kid with a BB gun could have a blast with these things ... but they'd rather stay on the couch shooting their video game zombies.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Time to fire up the barbie! Barbequed iguana! Mmmmmmmm good.

Ha! I thought this conversation sounded familiar. I just did a search (for “iguana”) and it appears every time a cold wave hit Florida, this subject would come up. Like I said, just pull the old article out of the archives and change the date!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    johnboy, we ate iguana while in Curacao a couple of years ago and though it wasn't bad I'm pretty sure it is a gimmick for the tourists. As I recall it was similar to eating fish, not taste-wise, just all the bones you have to deal with.

As for the idea of kids chasing them with a BB gun, I know I would have been ALL over that when I was a kid!

Its been several years, but when we were on Bonaire the iguana were protected. We did hang out one afternoon in a local bar where some local patrons were chowing down on one but we were told to not tell anyone. No, we didn’t try it even though they offered.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I have to admit, I've only had "chicken of the trees" once and that was in Mexico. I didn't care for it personally but it could be how it was prepared. Like CD in the tamale thread, there is probably good and bad, ya' just have to find the good. I'd probably try it again sometime down the line.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I had it once in Mexico as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I’m sure it tastes like chicken!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! Actually, it kind’a does P-hole. I had it in tacos and it was ok, I just wasn’t crazy about it. I’m a pork guy when it comes to tacos. As for the iguana, it was ok, just no real flavor without drowning it in hot sauce. Kind’a like ... well .... chicken!