Thread: the whole "knife" thing..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

the whole "knife" thing..

I know I've mentioned I've always liked pocket knives - especially those in the "muskrat" configuration. I started buying a few on ebay.. mostly try to buy used stuff ('cause I like to use stuff ). The whole thing that got me interested was - hunerd (sic) years ago, before, during and after the spike in fur prices I had a Queen Steel Muskrat with the winterbottom bone handle.. I came to call it my $15,000 knife because I figured I'd skinned that many dollars worth of hides.. I about cried (probably did) when I lost it .. Only thing I could buy to replace it at that time was a Queen stockman I still have..

So - I've been looking.. Very few winterbottoms come up, and in the time I've been looking, *no* muskrats.. Lo and behold - about a week ago.. a "new" one came up with the "make offer". almost pulled the trigger - then the Scot in me thought. "wth".. I shot him a lowball and danged if he didn't take it.. So, when I paid for it in the "similar items" - hell, there's another one that only had a couple days on auction.. Long story short (okay, like Thump I don't do that ) I sniped this one and bought it really reasonable.. I couldn't find one for years - now I have two in the mail at the same time.. There's a couple more I wouldn't mind having.. but now I'm really look for bargains.. Thanks for the tips Thump!
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    sounds like High Publa Kribbs just got another convert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    A post without pictures, is like a ----- , well you know.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

You’re makin’ it too complicated!

Although I did carry a Barlow when I carpentered and itwas a dandy.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    sounds like High Publa Kribbs just got another convert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ
    .. you misunderstood.. I didn't exactly "buy" it - I "won" it on ebay..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    You’re makin’ it too complicated!

Although I did carry a Barlow when I carpentered and itwas a dandy.

BKB
    Barlow may well be the *ugliest* pocket knife ever made,, this is me looking down my nose..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I love me a picket knife and have carried many throughout the years. (Gibbs’ 9th Rule!). I lost my “dress” knife last summer and haven’t found something that strikes my fancy yet. For casual and chores, I’ve tended towards small lock blades with a clip lately so I have one less thing rolling around in my pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

20200127_192035.jpg

20200127_192454.jpg

Here's the "unicorn" that started the whole thing.. Queen Winterbottom one.. been looking for one 30 years +.. Now I have two..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I love me a good knife, I got a fair amount of them. I picked up this custom made Dave McCroskey Trapper set earlier last year. They are wicked sharp, he cryogenically treats the steel.

C7129030-9737-4E21-B347-D851C6471517.jpg
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Very nice, Trav.. Got me to thinking.. I won a knife in a prize package a few weeks ago.. I kind of pawed through the stuff. and when I saw it didn't come with the sheath.. I kind of mumbled under my breath and tossed it back in the box.. Just dug it out and found a card with it.. JW Peters.. seems he was the season 6 champion of the "Forged in Fire" TV show on the History channel.. Fit and finish isn't gorgeous - but it's sure as hell sharp..20200129_143614.jpg
    Last edited by HideHunter; 01-29-2020 at 05:05 PM.

I see an Old Timer like one I carried for a long, long time.

You’re making me want to go buy a pocket knife and I’m pocket knife poor already.

Thumper, why don’t you find me another ten or so? I really loved the last batch!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

kind fun to fool with.. by sticking with the muskrats it hasn't gotten too far out of hand..