Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

Coronavirus

Why is this a big deal? A few hundred deaths out of millions of people doesn't seem like a big reason to panic to me. More people die from the flu than this virus so why the big panic around the world? What am I missing here? All conspiracy theories accepted.

I’d think they’d want to keep as isolated as possible as they have yet to develop a vaccine against it. Keeping it as isolated as possible would make it a lot easier to eliminate than it would if it’s spread all over the world. Of course, that’s JMHO.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    My wife is a nurse and all the nurses and doctors at her work are baffled by the concern over coronavirus. They have the same attitude that the flu that is going around the nation this year is much more deadly and dangerous than the coronavirus. To them and many of us the coronavirus is misplaced concern.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    all the pharmaceutical companies love it. They can push sugar capsules laced with an antihistamine and make a gazillion dollars if the medical industry can create a scare of a world wide epidemic of a new virus (IE a variation of the common cold)

Say what?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I don't know fellas.... this thing looks pretty bad to me.

All we know for sure is that it is moving lightning fast and that it has killed quite a few people. Nothing else. The data coming out of China is not accurate or precise. And unless you think the party officials over there are skewing the data to make things look worse than they are? Well, we know it is worse than they say and what they are saying is bad enough. You don't lock down a city of 10 million people and throw away a Trillion USD in economic activity nationwide on a whim, right?

We just don't know. And that goes for just about everyone. Viruses are very hard to predict because they can and often do mutate to become more deadly. Read up about the old Spanish Flu pandemic and you'll see that it went through once and they didn't think it was a virus because it didn't kill enough people. Then it made a second pass through and they didn't think it was a virus because that time it was much too deadly. I've read that doctors think it mutated and went from bad to lethal.

I don't think any flu is something to sneeze at (see what I did there ), but this one could be something like we haven't seen in our lifetimes. We'll have to wait and see I suppose. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Will

It’s a Catch-22 imo. Take the precautions we’re taking now and catch hell for over-reacting. Take a soft approach and get skewered for not doing enough if it gets out of hand. I have no clue what is right and what is wrong, but I think it’s a good idea to err on the side of caution until we get the facts, research and vaccines developed. To say the flu is killing more people “now”, doesn’t mean the flu will be more deadly tomorrow. Why ignore it and let it run rampant, then try to play catch-up?

I've got a pretty good working knowledge about the Spanish Lady and I'm not convinced that it would have been nearly as lethal if not under under wartime conditions. We lost 8% of the American population primarily young adults due to the fact that they were crammed into over crowded barracks and battle ships. Add to the fact that every doctor and nurse (retired or other wise) was conscripted into service and you had medical students with less than a semester of training operating the hospitals, then you've got a recipe for disaster. Then we had a president (Wilson) and a hand picked Surgeon General that never admitted that we had an epidemic, just the plain old flu they said. Money, Supplies and medical personnel were dedicated 100% to the war effort. Fatigue from battle and training along with a shortage of food and supplies created a perfect storm. Experts estimate that 40 to 200 million people died worldwide from the Spanish Flu but it would have been much less catastrophic under normal conditions. It was very deadly but, our government played a large role in the American causalities.

Wilson was pushed into WW1 but one thing you can say, he was in it to win win it.

If I die of the Cronosvirus then you can mock me for being wrong

We lost 8% of the American population primarily young adults due to the fact that they were crammed into over crowded barracks and battle ships.
    Ummmm, these days, the airlines carry 2.7 million passengers DAILY ... ya' can't pack 'em in much tighter than that. 30 million people per year pack themselves onto cruise ships. It's a different world.

I don't know the answer, I'm just glad SOMEBODY is grabbing the bull by the horns. At least until we figure out what's going on here.

BTW, our military is STILL packed onto ships, planes and barracks.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

you've got a point there Jim but it wasn't like that in 1917, however, we're probably not any better prepared for an airborne killer today.

QA: I'd never do that....

I know how it can grate on my nerves to hear people predicting doom (DOOMED I say!) when I don't think it is in the cards. And I don't blame anyone for holding an opinion. In this case I just don't know what to make of it. How could I? I'm an engineer, I don't know crap about viruses! Hell, I have trouble making sense of what the experts do have to say. So although I am leery of predicting that this thing is a potential pandemic of historic proportions I am nowhere near predicting that it isn't any worse than regular flu.

So what can we do? Look at what is being done, not at what is being said.

China? Man they've locked that joint up. It's been closed for business for a week and will stay closed for another one. They've got entire cities and provinces completely locked down. They've got people dying in hospital waiting rooms. Bodies stacked up in hallways awaiting removal. And insiders saying that they are categorizing flu deaths and everything but in order to play down this thing.

Either the Chinese ruling party lost it's shit and overreacted or this thing is an entirely different animal than regular flu.

Will

Historically, if China admits a problem, what they DO report, is usually just the tip of the iceberg. Time will tell. I’m clueless and am simply watching from the sidelines.

Me too Jim. And praying that it doesn't make it over here. We all have people who are young or old or have compromised immune systems. They are all vulnerable to the flu of any kind.

As for myself, I have been battling a chest infection for just over a week now and a good case of the flu would probably kick my bucket.

Will

If you have what I have ... you're in it for the long haul. I started coughing and hacking the day after Christmas ... and STILL am, along with bringing up phlegm. I blamed it on being around a bazillion runny-nosed little kids on Christmas Eve (party at friend's house with all their grand kids present). Lynn came down with it a couple days after me. At it's worst, she missed 7 days of work plus 2 ruined weekends (she didn't want to spread it), but she's also still coughing. It's been over a month now and I'm .... ummm, WE'RE TIRED of it!

We do get flu shots annually, but this isn't flu-like ... it's all in the chest and WILL NOT go away!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    corona.jpg

Just so you know.. You're not allowed to put anything on FB that isn't true..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I ain't askeered ... I DRINK the dang stuff!

coronabeer.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    corona.jpg

Just so you know.. You're not allowed to put anything on FB that isn't true..
    Ha ha ha! Yeppers, it's there!

Numerous social media posts falsely suggest that because Clorox and Lysol products list “Human Coronavirus” on their bottles, the new coronavirus driving the outbreak in China was already known. It wasn’t. There are many human coronaviruses, and these products were tested against a strain that causes the common cold.
    Full story: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/no...w-coronavirus/

You win Gene, I can't compete with that

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    You win Gene, I can't compete with that
    That little thing?? I can.

Man, I walked right into that one didn't I. You'd think a guy would learn

Been reading some interesting papers that strongly suggest that the evolution of this virus has not followed a normal progression. In other words, its genetic code has been manipulated. Did something escape?

The Russians did it!

I read that they had documented a very odd (fast) mutation when the disease was transmitted between members of a family. Could be bad news. Who knows? Nobody...

And that scares people. Even more than they already are. I can only imagine what those poor souls in China have to be going through. I seldom pray, but I've sent one out for those folks.

Will

Captain Trips finally here?

Wasn’t the shifting antigen the thing that made Captain Trips so deadly?

And someone mentioned the big flu pandemic in the early 1900s that killed over a million people. Consider this: Flu viruses have mutated to be less deadly, causing their hosts to spread it more than it did when it more often killed its host. Nature always finds a way doesn’t it?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

When you kill your host you do tend to have a shorter lifespan.

Also, if this is Captain Trips then I'm headed to Hemingford Home Nebraska hunting mother Abigail fer sure

Don't know if any of you are twitter users but some very disturbing video from China (Wuhan in particular) is being posted. This is a way bigger problem than we were first led to believe.

Yeah Barry, Earth abides.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-china-prisons

When you have young doctors contracting the disease and shortly thereafter departing for the celestial realm it may be time to admit that this thing is worse than we've been told. These people know what to look for and can count on getting top notch care.

Will

Well, hasn't anyone here read "The Eyes of Darkness" by Dean Koontz? That'll tell ya' where this Wuhan-400 .... ummm, I mean "Coronavirus" came from.