Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

You and Tom Cotton and Dean Koontz.

What a trio.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I’ve met Tom Cotton and I’m not impressed to say the least. Of course, politicians in general are goobers and are impressive only in the level of gooberness they achieve

He exceeds most recommended daily amounts of gooberneity.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    RJ Gottlieb showing the proper response to being told that coronavirus had been diagnosed in his hometown.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    There’s a young lady in his office that is sharp as a tack and probably keeps his goobernacity from running unchecked. I’d vote for her in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    RJ Gottlieb showing the proper response to being told that coronavirus had been diagnosed in his hometown.
    Ha ha Willy! When I first started that video I thought I was gonna see some smokin' rubber. As soon as he started I thought dang ... he's runnin' a mighty tall gear! Then I realized he was shootin' for top end. Wow! 220 on a country road would be a white-knuckler. 187 was my tops on the street and it sure upped the heart rate as I found out a flat stretch of highway ain't really all that flat! 'Course I was rolling on 60's technology also AND it was my daily driver, but I can't even imagine 220 on the “street”.

I'm assuming that video was from the Silver State Challenge? I remember when the rural Nevada highways had no speed limit. I believe the speed limit signs read something like: "Limited to highway conditions" or something similar. All that meant was they suggest you slow down if it's raining. Of course, how often does it rain in Nevada? ('Course, during the SSC, it would be a closed course)

I think the no speed limit thing was also in Montana back in the day. (?)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    MOON

lol that’s an appropriate character for you Hombre!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    187 was my tops on the street and it sure upped the heart rate as I found out a flat stretch of highway ain't really all that flat! 'Course I was rolling on 60's technology also AND it was my daily driver, but I can't even imagine 220 on the “street”.

147 - police radar.. my daily driver.. you win.. Edit: oh and for the record - the highway patrolman knew who I was - but didn't come after me.. Knew he couldn't catch me - and knew where I was going.. I later coached his boys in Little League..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 02-21-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Ha ha ha! Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    187 was my tops on the street and it sure upped the heart rate as I found out a flat stretch of highway ain't really all that flat! 'Course I was rolling on 60's technology also AND it was my daily driver, but I can't even imagine 220 on the “street”.

147 - police radar.. my daily driver.. you win.. Edit: oh and for the record - the highway patrolman knew who I was - but didn't come after me.. Knew he couldn't catch me - and knew where I was going.. I later coached his boys in Little League..
    Ha ha! The "patrolman knew me" story reminds me of an old Thump story (college days). Maybe I'll take the time to tell it one of these days. (probably nobody here will read it, but the memories would be fun for me!)

Yeah that's getting with it for a naturally aspirated 4-speed. More than I would have ever wanted to experience on a two lane asphalt road.

Will

Prolly on recap tires too!

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Yessir, Willie, my fastest mentioned above was in my High School hot rod (completed during the summer between h/s and college) and was my daily driver in college believe it or not. I can't imagine how much more fun that little car would have been with a little bit of today's technology. It was my street car, but set up as a barn burner that was "good" at a standing start, but better at top end (3:55 rear gear), but what added to the fun was it was also set up to be a decent little road racer (over sized sway bars, a nice set of springs, etc) but disc brakes would have sure been nice! To mention your old boss, we snagged a set of sintered iron brake shoes from Mark Donohue when he was running the Trans Am Camaro for Roger Penske. Thanks Captain! (You'll understand that one Willie) . I didn't have power brakes and when those things were cold, I had to STAND ON 'EM to get the car whoa'd down, but the saving grace was, the hotter they got, the better they worked. No power drains on that car, no fan (had electric), no a/c, no power steering ... nothing but the alternator. It was just all motor bolted directly to the transaxel. Dad blueprinted the LT1 crate motor (he was a wiz on head work) and added Manley sodium filled valves, an "experimental" Crane cam that Harvey Crane (an old friend) sent us along with his roller rockers (kind of a bitch on a street car) but it would keep pulling until I'd "chicken out" and shift! I could go on and on, but I know I get excited reminiscing and would bore most here. The sad part is, I had to store that car at Mom and Dad's house when I went into the military. They hauled it with them when they moved from Memphis to Tulsa, OK, but when they moved to Los Angeles, it was a bit of a burden, so wrote me and I ok'd the sale to a Chevy dealer in Tulsa to put on his showroom floor to build a bit of walk-in traffic. I never saw the car again after returning from the military and have no clue whatever happened to it.

My second best on the street was 167 in my stock '98 Corvette. I might have been able to squeeze another 1-2 mph in if I'd had a tailwind and more straight road, but the passenger window suddenly sucked out past the blowout clip and scared the bejeebers out'ta me! I thought the Targa top had blown off! Man did things get loud all of a sudden! I slowed her back down and the door glass laid right back into place like nuttin' ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Prolly on recap tires too!

BKb
    Ha ha ha! Seems I remember a post about re-caps a while back. Do they even still make those for passenger cars? I'm sure they do, but I have no clue really.

There used to be a place in a little town close to where I grew up that recapped old tires, mainly for commercial vehicles. Places still do it, mainly for commercial vehicles. You still see recaps from truck tires strewn all over the highways.
    The place in Wister, Oklahoma would take your old ‘cores’ and sell you a recap for $10. I think it was like $12.50 if you didn’t have a core. For a broke country boy they were awesome! I shudder to think of how many times I drove 80+ on two lane blacktop county roads on $10 tires. My buddy Mallard’s tires were so worn on his pickup in our senior year, we called his tires ‘Goodyear Bald Eagles’. But it got us around.

His muffler wasn’t clamped on good either and there is a half true story out there (legend?) about me picking up a hot muffler bare handed. The half true part was it didn’t really stick to my hands like Mallard says it did. It sure enough blistered both of them though!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I didn't "build" my car.. I had a '67 MG for sale and a kid offered me almost exactly what I was asking.. and his car.. He told me it was built to the max - but I didn't know how much until he handed me the receipts along with title.. In short, it was a 406 tri-power - balanced, blue printed.. dual points.. ya da ya da.. Had a ball with it.. sold it.. wish I had it back..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Wow H/H, I’d totally forgotten about the old Ford 406! I assume you had a ‘62-‘63 Galaxie? I believe they only had that engine for one year. I think that was when EVERYBODY had engines over 400 cid, but Ford just had the 390. They just bored the 390 to 406 if I remember correctly. Dang, I wonder how many of those still exist?

I know that feeling.... getting the itch myself. Haven't built one for quite a while.

Thinking (if I do a build) that I'll reskin my 2004 Silverado and then do a build on the engine. Reprogram the shift points on the transmission. On this truck I think a 350 hp/400 ft-lb engine ought to make it scoot without doing too much damage on mileage. On the Gen III it is easy to go in thinking restraint and end up with a 450 hp engine that gets about 10 mpg...

Will

I’ve never heard of the 406. I assume it was like the GM 409, just an overbored short block? Did they blow up a lot?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Hidey-ho, that MG reminds me of a story. I had a (rich) buddy (a few years older than me) who got a brand new TR4 for his birthday (or Christmas, or graduation, can’t remember). We were out cruising one night and I had just finished drinking a Coke and was going to toss the empty can at a street sign as we drove by. I hung my arm out the window and was going to “flip” it up toward the sign as we passed. Man-o-man, big mistake! My hand hit the ground and I ended up with major pavement rash on all four of my knuckles! That thing was like a frigging go-kart!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Wow H/H, I’d totally forgotten about the old Ford 406! I assume you had a ‘62-‘63 Galaxie? I believe they only had that engine for one year. I think that was when EVERYBODY had engines over 400 cid, but Ford just had the 390. They just bored the 390 to 406 if I remember correctly. Dang, I wonder how many of those still exist?
    Body was a '60 Sunliner convertible.. engine was out of a '63.. if I remember right.. BIL is big into vintage muscle (he's a Chevy man).. Said just a few years ago, interest really piqued in these motors.. I guess Tri-power was really rare.. anyway.. said the motor would probably bring 20 grand.. (I didn't get quite that much )

I had a good friend that own a mid 60’s model Triumph in the early 70’s. He had kinky hair and had it grown out pretty long. He used to don a top hat sometimes when he’d drive with the top down. We got some pretty hostile reactions from rednecks in those days.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I’ve never heard of the 406. I assume it was like the GM 409, just an overbored short block? Did they blow up a lot? BKB
    TBH P-hole, I don’t really remember. They put out some pretty decent power, but not quite what the big boys were doing. Plus, I think it was only available in the Galaxi which was a pretty heavy car. They were decent runners, but anything more than your bread and butter street racer would take it. It could be a bit of a sleeper though because most of the Galaxies weren’t running that option. I think the three 2’s HH mentioned was a factory option.

Edit: I see HH added a few details as I was posting.

Viva Renaldo!

Ha! Good one!

(Izzat Johnboy?)

It may be!

One little factoid I learned from this is that facemasks don’t keep you from getting germs, itkeeps you from spreading them.

So why are all these assholes wearing facemasks then?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Food for thought....

JustTheFlu.jpg