Thread: Hunting and Fishing License Costs

Hunting and Fishing License Costs

Just curious how big the spread is in licensing costs across the country.

Oklahoma annual combo hunting and fishing is $42 and runs Jan 1 -Dec 31 regardless of when you buy it. I like other states that give you a year fromthe date you purchase it. Mizzou does that.
    Resident Fishing license costs $25. Hunting costs $25. Lifetime combo is $625.

Our OWD is funded by license sales so they have a bunchmore options and requirements. Its like $76 to hunt waterfowl which includes license and state duck stamp. Ridiculous. Plus unless you have a lifetime you pay like $20 for deer tags. Not sure if there’s a turkey tag or stamp.

Buy that lifetime license when you’re young! They’re making it harder and harder for a young person to be able to afford to legally hunt and fish.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Annual:
    Hunting license: $17
    Hunting/Fresh water fishing combo: $32.50
    Hunting/Freshwater & Saltwater fishing combo: $48

My hunting/fishing licenses were free once VA gave me a disability rating. BUT .... once I hit 65, they’re free anyway. I think you still have to buy duck stamps and tarpon.

Florida residents age 65 or older only need a Florida Driver License or Identification Card to prove residency and age. They are not required to purchase the following recreational licenses and permits:

Saltwater fishing, freshwater fishing and hunting licenses
    Snook, lobster, deer, management area, muzzleloading, turkey, archery, crossbow, *Florida waterfowl, and migratory bird permits.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I should have bought an Oklahoma hunting and fishing license before I left Oklahoma. Washington doesn't have lifetime.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    In Montana it would run be around $110.00 for a hunting/fishing combo license that also included a deer tag, bear tag, and elk tag, plus small game. It's a good deal for residents but crazy expensive for non-residents. I'm not sure about Utah as I don't qualify for residency until the end of this month. I only plan on buying a fishing license, a small game license, and a fur bearers license so I can hunt predators.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    In North Dakota a "combination license" is $50 and covers hunting of upland game, small game, and furbearers. There are other fees for big game tags ($30 each deer gun, deer archery, pronghorn, moose, elk, and bighorn), turkeys ($15), swans ($10), sandhill cranes ($10) and then $25 for the federal waterfowl stamp. Non-resident fees are higher.

$23 to hunt small game. Annually
    $23 to fish
    $18 to archery hunt
    $18 to muzzleload Hunt
    $23 for deer and turkey tags (sold together)

Bear tags are separate I think they are $23 as well

I’m a little over $100 a year to hunt and fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

Hunting and Fishing License Costs

Comprehensive hunting and fishing $25. Small game only.

Hunting or fishing only $17

You need an additional trout/salmon stamp to fish for those species at $11.

Each deer tag is $24 but second antlerless tag is only $15.

Deer bundle licenses which include one buck and two doe tags are $65.

State duck stamp is $6.75

State game bird stamp is $6.75

Turkey $25.

Trapping $17.

Indiana discontinued the sale of lifetime licenses in 2005 but still honor those that had been issued.

I bought my lifetime license in 1993 so it’s paid for itself many times over. I can hunt or fish for anything and all I have to buy is my Federal duck stamp.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Bought lifetime hunting and fishing licenses in my 30's they did pay for themselves. Now that I'm over 65 don't need them.

Just curious for those that live in states that offer lifetime licenses, how much are they?

When I bought mine in Indiana back in 1993, a comprehensive hunting and fishing was $715. After a few years the price increased to something around $1500. Then the sale of lifetime licenses was canceled in 2005. The reason given was that the federal money given to the state for fish and game was based on annual license sales revenue and that was seriously declining due to the number of lifetime licenses that had been issued.

Has that changed or are any of your states seeing the same issue?
    I’m just glad they still honor the ones that were sold. I have my Dad’s lifetime license that was issued to him as a veteran right after WWII. They were all revoked after a couple of years.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Lifetime licenses have never been offered here in ND.

Virginia has had one for ages, but unless you buy it for your kid or grandkid at like 2-3 years old, it doesn’t save you a ton of money.
    In Virginia you would still have to buy all kinds of other tags and such.
    I’ve no idea what it even cost.

That’s the good thing about the way Indiana had theirs set up. It included “all current or future stamps needed to hunt or fish a specific species “.

Unlike you landlocked guys, we have three options to deal with here. Our "Lifetime Gold", if purchased for a kid or grandkid under 4, would be a heck of a bargain over the kid's lifetime.

Here are our options: (I have no clue why they all end with $1.50)

The Lifetime Gold Sportsman's License includes Hunting, Freshwater Fishing and Saltwater Fishing licenses; and Deer, Wildlife Management Area, Archery, Muzzleloading Gun, Crossbow, Turkey, Florida Waterfowl, Snook and Lobster permits.

Age 4 or younger: $401.50
    Ages 5-12: $701.50
    Ages 13 and older: $1,001.50

The Lifetime Hunting License includes a Hunting license; and Deer, Wildlife Management Area, Archery, Muzzleloading Gun, Crossbow, Turkey, and Florida Waterfowl permits.

Age 4 or younger: $201.50
    Ages 5-12: $351.50
    Ages 13 and older: $501.50

The Lifetime Saltwater Fishing License includes a Saltwater Fishing license and Snook and Lobster permits.

Age 4 or younger: $126.50
    Ages 5-12: $226.50
    Ages 13 and older: $301.50

The Lifetime Freshwater Fishing License includes a Freshwater Fishing license.

Age 4 or younger: $126.50
    Ages 5-12: $226.50
    Ages 13 and older: $301.50
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

You don’t need a license to fish salt water here.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! That's called land-locked!

We can fish freshwater with no license as long as we don't use reels (line retrieval devices) ... basically cane poles.

As for salt water:

Florida residents who only saltwater fish from the land or a structure attached to land, may get the no-cost resident recreational saltwater shoreline fishing license. This license does NOT cover anyone fishing from a boat or from an island that they arrived at by boat. (shore, docks, jetties, piers, bridges, etc. ... also if you're wading as long as you can stand on the bottom)

Individuals who hold a recreational saltwater fishing license or any other license that includes recreational saltwater fishing privileges do not need a shoreline fishing license.

Also, you do not need a license if fishing from a chartered fishing boat.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    That’s the good thing about the way Indiana had theirs set up. It included “all current or future stamps needed to hunt or fish a specific species “.

That could be a great deal. Virginia should have set it up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    You don’t need a license to fish salt water here.

BKB
    You can thank your president for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    You can thank your president for that!
    Ummmm ... ok ... I'll go along with that ... why not?