Thread: Joined the Taco brigade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Yup, know about the ECT switch and the different shift points do let the engine get into and stay in it's powerband a bit better. I use it frequently. As for 'peppy', no this truck is not peppy. The wife has a 2018 Kia Sorento 3.3l V6 AWD and it will run rings around this Taco. Like I said, just gonna drive it hard and hope it learns. Gotta stop comparing to the big diesel. You know, I was never a diesel fan and towed for many years with a big block gasser (496ci) and loved it. Went to the diesel and loved every minute of driving that thing. If you've ever driven or towed with a modern diesel you will understand. But like you said - apples and oranges. And yes, I am a curmudgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Yup, know about the ECT switch and the different shift points do let the engine get into and stay in it's powerband a bit better. I use it frequently.
    I still can't help but think that's most of your problem Johnboy ... the "I use it frequently" part. I could probably tape over the switch on mine as I've really had no need for it other than when I pulled a heavy-assed trailer. When utilizing the ECT, it downshifts when encountering the least amount of resistance .. that's what it's for ... it "thinks" you're pulling a load. But with normal driving, it just isn't needed IMHO and does nothing but throw the tranny into "search mode" with any minor strain it encounters while it wonders WTF the driver wants it to do ... and why? Turn it off and forget it's there for a while. Just give it some throttle if you need to and drive it like you stole it. You're accustomed to gobs of torque powering you through ... you got's ta' learn a bit of finesse and forget that "bull in a china shop" you've been used to driving. Once you come down from the "torque of a locomotive cloud" and become a bit more "sophisticated", it'll grow on you.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain