Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joined the Taco brigade

Trailer stories! Every outdoorsman has one, or two or twenty! In a lifetime of pulling trailers I’ve been lucky to onlybeen on the side of the road a few times. But they were memorable!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Spinning a 28' trailer attached to a 22' truck through a 180 (was going north and wound up pointing south) on a narrow , busy 2 lane roadway and not dying was/is pretty memorable. Somebody or something was watching out for us that day!

I remember Archer (ha!) telling us one time about his boat passing him on the highway.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

The more I drive this little truck, the more I like it. Except for the trans gearing and shift mapping, that is. It's a good truck and if Toyota had been more interested in programming for driveability instead of mpg, it would be a great truck. The engine has lots of power once you get it up into its powerband but you gotta work it to get it there. A manual trans would be interesting. Oh well, can't have everything.

I sometimes yearn for a five speed manual. Had one in a 1990 Chevy truck and it was awesome.

And then I don’t.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yeah, a stick is fun until you get stuck in stop and go traffic for a few miles. My creaky old knees won't do it no more.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Yup, know about the ECT switch and the different shift points do let the engine get into and stay in it's powerband a bit better. I use it frequently.
    I still can't help but think that's most of your problem Johnboy ... the "I use it frequently" part. I could probably tape over the switch on mine as I've really had no need for it other than when I pulled a heavy-assed trailer. When utilizing the ECT, it downshifts when encountering the least amount of resistance .. that's what it's for ... it "thinks" you're pulling a load. But with normal driving, it just isn't needed IMHO and does nothing but throw the tranny into "search mode" with any minor strain it encounters while it wonders WTF the driver wants it to do ... and why? Turn it off and forget it's there for a while. Just give it some throttle if you need to and drive it like you stole it. You're accustomed to gobs of torque powering you through ... you got's ta' learn a bit of finesse and forget that "bull in a china shop" you've been used to driving. Once you come down from the "torque of a locomotive cloud" and become a bit more "sophisticated", it'll grow on you.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain