Thread: Fishin' junque ....

Fishin' junque ....

Gots a sale comin' up this week that looks like the guy was addicted to fishin' stuff. Who would need that many tackle boxes?? Anyway, nuttin' jumps out at me, but I ain't into this stuff anyway. I buy my fishin' stuff at the K-mart Blue Light Specials. Anyway, my buddy who owns the company along with his wife (I've helped them out by working quite a few sales with them when they have been short-handed) sent a few early pics. He said this is just the tip of the iceberg and he's STILL digging crap out of all the cubbyholes.

1.jpg 1.jpg 1.jpg

1.jpg 1.jpg 1.jpg

1.jpg 1.jpg 1.jpg

He says these tackle boxes are all full of "lures and crap".

1.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Probably looks similar to BBP's or the Captain's garage.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Some people just accumulate too much shit. (not me) This is about a quarter of mine (discounting icefishing stuff) and that's just the stuff I *use* regularly.. then there's *heavy* stuff - the vintage stuff - and the junk stuff.. If I lived in your country , I'd be "broker" than I am..

100_3684.JPG
    Last edited by HideHunter; 02-18-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Reminds me that I gotta clean out my tackle storage. Bye the bye, some of those lures are very collectable.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Reminds me that I gotta clean out my tackle storage. Bye the bye, some of those lures are very collectable.
    This.
    Especially ones in the original boxes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Yup. Rare lures in original boxes bring big bucks if you know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Yup. Rare lures in original boxes bring big bucks if you know what to look for.
    Oh yes, I'm well aware of that! As a refresher, here's the pic from above. (NOTE: Don't get lazy, click on the links following this pic ... just don't lose any teeth when your jaw hits the floor)

1-t.jpg

I'm straining my eyes trying to spot an NRA stamp on some of those. I also don't know how many are hidden and not visible in the above pic, there could be a whole shelf of these things. Now take a gander at a few of these eBay sales.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Vintage...8AAOSw4PBd2wD3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/creek-chub-...sAAOSw849eGgBP

Heck, this is just the empty box!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creek-Chub-...wAAOSwdi5eNXYI

But, stamp or no stamp ... they're still looking good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creek-Chub-...4AAOSwjzld6w6z

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creek-Chub-...wAAOSws11d7HEf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creek-Chub-...EAAOSwtYRd7F7O

And I don't even care if some of those tackle boxes are loaded with these things with NO boxes!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-1...sAAOSwp7FajEhZ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CRE...0AAOSwbl9eAqRo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CRE...0AAOSwbl9eAqRo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Creek-...kAAOSwvJVd6xK~

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea!

I own two little flexible Slater crappie poles and a little piece of folded-over felt with about six little crappie jigs inside, which fits into my shirt pocket....total cost is about $30 bucks, and my freezer is nearly always full of fillets.....just saying.

'Course, if I was chasing some big ole tarpon or barracuda, I'd prolly get me a little stiffer crappie pole with some heavy 10# test line.

Why in the world would anyone need even a tenth of all that stuff in the Thump's picture???
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 02-18-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

Fishin' junque ....

The Creek Chub Bait Co. was from Indiana. Actually, Garrett, Indiana to be specific, which is about 25 miles from where I live.

https://blog.history.in.gov/tag/cree...-bait-company/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Why in the world would anyone need even a tenth of all that stuff in the Thump's picture???
    Muddy, the key word in your question is "need".

Before I had to sell off my collection after getting out of the hospital, I had about 30-40 or so guns of all sorts. When my brother from Northern California (need I say more?) would be here visiting, he'd give me this incredulous look and ask, "Why the "f" do you need all those guns?" I always gave him the same answer, "I don't "need" them, I WANT them!" He'd just shake his head and look at me like I'm some sort of nut-case.

At 90% of these sales, I'll see granny's collections of tiny plates, or little silver spoons from every state. The guys will have collections of pocket knives, shot-glasses, Zippo cigarette lighters or ashtrays. There's always something that somebody collects and you can always ask the same question ... "why do they need all those (fill in the blank)"?

Here's another pic from that same sale. Why does he need all these goofy pocket knives?

1.jpg

Jim... Oh ebay guru.. Had something happen I don't quite understand.. I bid on a knife - was outbid by a buck - and it sold.. The same item, couple days later, is relisted.. same knife, same seller, same pictures - and say's "relisted". I tried to look up in ebay's questions - couldn't really find the exact situation.. In a "live" auction I'd bet I was bidding against a shill.. Does this happen on ebay? other explanations? thnx..g
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Judging by how many old money clips he had, I think the answer to y’alls question is the same as the one about the hound dog.

“Because he could”.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

He definitely had a lot of stuff, but when one takes a closer look it does not appear to a be a lot of top quality stuff. I really don't see a high end rod or reel in any of those photos. I see a lot of Walmart type fishing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    He definitely had a lot of stuff, but when one takes a closer look it does not appear to a be a lot of top quality stuff. I really don't see a high end rod or reel in any of those photos. I see a lot of Walmart type fishing gear.
    That's pretty much the way I see it B/S, but piles like that only have to have one gem hidden in there someplace. My main goal would be to jump all over those lures.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Jim... Oh ebay guru.. Had something happen I don't quite understand.. I bid on a knife - was outbid by a buck - and it sold.. The same item, couple days later, is relisted.. same knife, same seller, same pictures - and say's "relisted". I tried to look up in ebay's questions - couldn't really find the exact situation.. In a "live" auction I'd bet I was bidding against a shill.. Does this happen on ebay? other explanations? thnx..g
    There could be a few reasons Hidey-Ho.

One, the buyer could have backed out for some reason and asked the seller to cancel the sale. He "thought" it was a model AB120 but realized after purchase it was actually a model A8L2O ... whatever.

Quite a while back, I sold a dang KITCHEN knife to a dude in England and the sale was cancelled by the Ebay Gods. Come to find out, (ANY) knife sales are forbidden in Great Britain or Ireland. I had to cancel and relist. (All my knife listings now have G.B. and Ireland blocked).

I also sold a cell phone once to a guy in California and he was buying it for his son who was leaving on a trip overseas the following evening. He was willing to pay for overnight delivery but there was NO way I could get the phone to him in time because with the time difference between west coast and east coast, the Post Office was already closed here. I let the bozo off the hook and re-listed the phone.

It's hard to say, but it does happen. If anyone makes a habit of cancelling sales, eBay is on their ass like stink on shit, so it doesn't happen often. The reason, some will run an auction and if the item didn't bring what they were hoping for, "seller's remorse" will kick in and they'll find a way to wiggle out of the deal. That doesn't fly with eBay and you'll get your butt busted if it happens again. (the seller can also set an auction up to not sell if a minimum bid is not reached)

I don't have an answer for you, but the above are possibilities. Ebay also has what they call a "second chance offer". Say, I sell an item and the high bidder backs out for some reason, I have the option of offering it to the next highest bidder. If he doesn't want it, I can work my way on down the line as far as I want ... or relist.

Remember again, you may not have been outbid by a dollar ... he could have bid $1 more than you, or $100 more than you, but if nobody outbid him, he gets the item for $1 over the last bid before his. Refer back to that old post where that was explained previously.

Edit: Here ya' go Hide ... I looked up that old post and here's the excerpt concerning another auction where you were outbid by a dollar.

If it makes you feel any better, you "probably" didn't lose that auction by a dollar. Here's how it works. Say there's a $1 bid minimum and the item is listed with a starting bid of $20. Let's also say, you'd be willing to pay as much as $40 max. You can make a bid for $40, but if you're the only bidder at close of auction, you'll get it for $20 if there were no other bidders. Now let's say, you have your $40 bid entered (still showing $20 on the auction) and I come along and bid $21, I'll automatically be outbid by you because the site will up your bid to $22 .... outbidding me. I get pissed, throw up a $25 bid and you will automatically outbid me again at $26. It will go this way until your max bid is reached, so if somebody bids against you for $45, they will outbid you by $1 ... at $41 even though they actually bid $45. If some fool comes along and bids higher than $45 (say $50), HE will now show a $46 bid.

I think those lures are your best bet. I'd always be leery of buying reels anywhere near the coast. Rust is an issue!

I understand the "dollar thing" as you explained it.. I've mostly been "sniping" my high bid with seconds left..(keeps me from engaging in a bidding war ) It just said it sold for buck higher than my bid.. so the other guy had, obviously, a higher "high" bid.. Anyway, it's relisted - and I'll probably bid on it again.. thanks.