Thread: That's my girl!!!

That's my girl!!!

I have a VERY good relationship with a gal here in town who has an estate sale company. When she's short of help, I usually give her a hand to help her out. ONLY because I'm a nice guy mind you.

shan.jpg

Anyway, she knows what kind of crap I like and always calls to let me know when she has an interesting (to me) sale coming up. The good part is, I go with her to the site as she's PREPARING for the sale, long before the sale actually takes place, so I can snag what I want before anyone else even sees it. Well, a couple weeks ago she called due to an employee not showing up for a sale, so I zipped on over to give her a hand at the last minute. She told me she has a "Thump sale" coming up and will call me when she'll be headed over to start setting up. Whoa! She just sent me a few "teaser" pics and asked if I wanted to come over and do some digging and exploring while she starts getting organized. Ummmm, does a bear shit in the woods??!!

I love the sales where there's a lot of digging ... usually, the dirtier I get, the more successful I am! She suggested I wear crappy clothes as the garage is a "mess"! This one looks like it will be fun!

1583179507_20200302_122746.jpg 1583179503_20200302_122754.jpg 1583179501_20200302_122757.jpg

1583179499_20200302_122759.jpg 1583179496_20200302_122805.jpg 1583179490_20200302_122807.jpg

1583179489_20200302_122809.jpg 1583179487_20200302_122812.jpg 1583179484_20200302_122813.jpg

1583179481_20200302_122815.jpg 1583179478_20200302_122817.jpg 1583179466_20200302_122858.jpg

1579966459_20200123_110309.jpg 1579966470_20200123_105453.jpg 1579966470_20200123_105451.jpg

1579966485_20200123_105228.jpg 1583179455_20200302_133515.jpg 1579966491_20200123_105201.jpg

Now, all that stuff looks like fun .. but she said you can barely even walk into the garage. I love lots of drawers, cabinets and tool boxes, etc. This is where I have the most fun! A lot of this may look like junk to some of youse dufes, but I see nothing but eBay gold in these pics! The good part, she said she really didn't have time to take many pics, but will get more later. She just wanted me to see how much "work" I have ahead of me ... IF I'm interested in any of this .... ummmmm, "junk"!

1579966481_20200123_105246.jpg 1579966464_20200123_105731.jpg 1579966469_20200123_105456.jpg

1579966480_20200123_105248.jpg 1579966495_20200123_104753.jpg 1579966497_20200123_104746.jpg

1579966498_20200123_104736.jpg 1579966500_20200123_104732.jpg 1579966503_20200123_104711.jpg

1579966505_20200123_104657.jpg 1579966506_20200123_104652.jpg 1580159922_20200127_095724.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Must have been a marine. I see some kbars and a flag in that one box.

And he definitely had a thing for Saturday Night Specials didn’t he?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Looks like he also had a thing for starting "projects" and never finishing them!

I have a feeling I'll be coming home with a truckload of crap!

I carried a pocketwatch for a lot of years. I wear my watch on my left arm and since I’m left handed, when I did carpenter work I ruined a few watches.
    If you see a good one that works get it for me!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I carried a pocketwatch for a lot of years. I wear my watch on my left arm and since I’m left handed, when I did carpenter work I ruined a few watches.
    If you see a good one that works get it for me!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Your posts confuse me. Do you want ONE watch? Or TWO? Actually, those look like "project" watches.

We have a large box of jewelry in the safe (including a couple of Rolex's) as neither of us wears that stuff anymore.

There's really no need to wear/carry a watch anymore ... who doesn't have a cell phone these days? (plus they're more accurate!)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Picture #8 shows two parts to a Colt Single Action Army (barrel/cylinder and grip handle) would be interested in them if possible.
    Also in the box with the bayonet there looks to be two leather stacked knives, if's they are Marbles knives (stamped on the blade) they to would be of interest.
    Let me know.
    Ya, I'm sure your only interest in the lady is her ability to give you a heads up on junk sales.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    So is this like Amazon Prime where a gent gets free shipping? If so, I'm interested in the drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    Picture #8 shows two parts to a Colt Single Action Army (barrel/cylinder and grip handle) would be interested in them if possible.
    Also in the box with the bayonet there looks to be two leather stacked knives, if's they are Marbles knives (stamped on the blade) they to would be of interest.
    Let me know.
    Ya, I'm sure your only interest in the lady is her ability to give you a heads up on junk sales.
    I only offer to pay pennies on the dollar Bubba, but I have no idea what something like that would be worth. Give me a price spread (I know condition is important, but what you see is all I've seen so far) and I'll see what I can do. Yep, the knives were one of the first things I'd planned on gravitating to. I'll see what I can do there also.

As for the girl, we're "buddies" actually. We met through the sales years ago and became friends. She's a workaholic and really doesn't have time to date, so I'm her "protector". I hang out at her place from time to time and have even helped her move a couple times. From a rented house the owner decided to sell, to an apartment, then to another rental house where she is now. If her car is in the shop, I'll pick her up from the dealer and take her home, then take her to get her car when it's ready. She also buys cars at the dealer auctions (has a dealer's license) and I'll take her to the auction, then follow her home with whatever she buys (to make sure the car gets her home!). She then sells the car at one of her upcoming estate sales. I won't take cash when I help her out, but DO accept favors! Ummmm, get your mind out of the gutter, you know, like "special" deals at the estate sales.

Nope, just buds. She has a goofy side (she sent me this photo last weekend), so we're a good fit. Oh .... and she has a cat.

goofy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    So is this like Amazon Prime where a gent gets free shipping? If so, I'm interested in the drill press.
    Dang Bwana, I normally avoid that sort of thing due to the hassle of shipping. I once considered doing Craig's List on the side to sell stuff like that locally, but that's a pain in the butt as I usually meet the potential buyer somewhere else, other than them coming to my house. That means arrange a meeting, load the item up in my truck, go meet with the buyer and many times bring it back home, unload it and store it again while he "thinks about it" or "checks with his wife". (when I hear the last excuse, I know it's probably a no sale) If I do make a sale (after his wife says ok), I have to repeat the procedure above. PITA

Anyway, I have shipped a few larger items, I just have no clue if this would be worth it or not. It would have to go through some sort of freight company I would assume. I just don't have any experience with stuff like that. This guy has a regular machine shop set up in his garage. A VERY large lathe, many different saws, vises (one of my big eBay sellers), etc. Here's a better shot of the drill press:

drillpress.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Thump.
    Colt is a parts gun, nickel barrel(rusty) frame and cylinder blued but in decent shape, grip frame hard to tell, $100 or less for both.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

That should be easy-peasy Bubba. There's so much stuff, it'll be a 3-day sale, but it's not until (3/20-3/22). I don't know when she'll be getting started on it, but I'll be there! As for being a parts gun, it looks to me like that's about all he has there!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Don't fret Thump, I was just joking.

A drill press is one of those things I have always wanted but rarely have a need for and I know that shipping from Florida must be crazy expensive.

I'll keep my eye out for one a wee bit closer to home.

Yep, I've had a drill press in my garage for many years and I think I've only used it 2-3 times. The thing I use most is my grinder (wire wheel) for cleaning up parts and tools I buy at these sales.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    bet that old 3 bar telephone has some "fish" stories..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    bet that old 3 bar telephone has some "fish" stories..
    Ha ha ha! You caught that huh? I did a double-take when I saw it. "Something" looked familiar and drew me back to it.

Well. my friend sent me a few more pics last night. I guess she found the stash!

1-t.jpg 1-t (3).jpg 1-t (2).jpg 1-t (1).jpg

Well, this place was so packed, I got plum wore out and couldn't dig anymore on Friday. I finally threw in the towel, made a deal for what I'd found so far and headed home. The last day of the sale was today, but I didn't go back. So ... tonight, I get a text from "my girl'. The conversation goes like this:

Her: Jim, there's no sale tomorrow, but I have to get this place cleared out. If you can make it, I'm going to blow EVERYTHING out of there, dirt cheap. Just make a pile and tell me what you want to give me for it! There will only be a few people there as I've only contacted "my good ol' boys".

Me: Sure, what time?

Her: 11:30

Me: Ok, I'll definitely be there!

Her: Cool. In that case, meet me there at 10:45 before the others get there. Be ready to buy in bulk! CHEAP!

Me: Ok, I'll be there at 10-thirtyish!

Her: I'll see you then. Make sure your truck is empty ... you may even want to bring your trailer!

Me: Thanks girl ... see you tomorrow.

Ha! It pays to get close to these estate sale people .... they WILL throw you a nice bone from time to time ... over and above giving you price breaks at the regular sales to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I only offer to pay pennies on the dollar Bubba, but I have no idea what something like that would be worth. Give me a price spread (I know condition is important, but what you see is all I've seen so far) and I'll see what I can do. Yep, the knives were one of the first things I'd planned on gravitating to. I'll see what I can do there also.

As for the girl, we're "buddies" actually. We met through the sales years ago and became friends. She's a workaholic and really doesn't have time to date, so I'm her "protector". I hang out at her place from time to time and have even helped her move a couple times. From a rented house the owner decided to sell, to an apartment, then to another rental house where she is now. If her car is in the shop, I'll pick her up from the dealer and take her home, then take her to get her car when it's ready. She also buys cars at the dealer auctions (has a dealer's license) and I'll take her to the auction, then follow her home with whatever she buys (to make sure the car gets her home!). She then sells the car at one of her upcoming estate sales. I won't take cash when I help her out, but DO accept favors! Ummmm, get your mind out of the gutter, you know, like "special" deals at the estate sales.

Nope, just buds. She has a goofy side (she sent me this photo last weekend), so we're a good fit. Oh .... and she has a cat.

goofy.jpg
    Thumper is on Snapchat. Lord help us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! I have no clue what Snapchat even is. Is that what all those little symbols are from? (Ummm, if so, how do you know?)

She texted this to me on my normal Messenger app. via my cell # (Instant Messenger I think?). Heck, I don't even have a Twitter account to follow the Presidential tweets and probably wouldn't know how to use Twitter and/or Snapchat if I had 'em.

Well. my friend sent me a few more pics last night. I guess she found the stash!

1-t (3).jpg
    Jim.. that appears to be a Crossman bb gun on the right.. If you'd happen to end up with that I'd be interested.. Had two as a kid..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Crap HH, I'll sure check. The sale was Fri & Sat. The "friends only" sale was for yesterday, but she had a family emergency come up, so I'm going to meet her over there tomorrow afternoon instead. If it's there, I'll beat 'em out of it and it's yours. I have no clue what all is left over.

Thank you, sir.. don't go out of your way.. They were "a little different" than everyone else's.. strictly a "memories" thing..

Ha! I have no clue what Snapchat even is. Is that what all those little symbols are from? (Ummm, if so, how do you know?)

She texted this to me on my normal Messenger app. via my cell # (Instant Messenger I think?). Heck, I don't even have a Twitter account to follow the Presidential tweets and probably wouldn't know how to use Twitter and/or Snapchat if I had 'em.
    Yes that’s a Snapchat screen.
    I have it because my two kids have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Thank you, sir.. don't go out of your way.. They were "a little different" than everyone else's.. strictly a "memories" thing..
    I checked HH, but all the guns were gone by Saturday. The place looked like it’d been hit by a tornado, but I managed to pick up another load of junque. There must have been a million rounds (and I’d be willing to bet that’s not too much of an exaggeration) of ammo still there. I heard he did reloading for the police and sheriff’s departments in town as well as the local (public) shooting range. I’ve never seen so much ammo (in one place) in my life. Tons of it sold, but it barely made a dent. I just have no use for it and it can’t be sold on eBay, so I just ignored it.

I’m so glad I don’t live down there. I’d need a warehouse! I still have not started selling all the shit I have but need to get serious about it.
    Kids today don’t care about that kinda “old” stuff anyway.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Thanks Jim..