Thread: Take a guess.....60 ft. up an Okie tree.....

Take a guess.....60 ft. up an Okie tree.....

Correction—-typo—-only 20 ft.

16AD6083-EF33-41AD-B9E5-237ADA371076.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 03-28-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    looks like the dreaded Oklahoma Bush Rattler to me
    Last edited by quercus alba; 03-28-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Here’s a better pic.....the Okie biologist that took the pic says it’s a timber rattler.

3B82024F-B4D0-4995-A876-543FFD324104.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Well, he’s in the timber!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    yep.. I've caught a number of them.. Didn't know they'd climb.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Ya got it's skin nailed to the barn door ??
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    NO thanks!

With the exception of a few pygmy rattlers or ‘ground rattlers’ as my Dad called them, after a lifetime in the outdoors in Oklahoma I’ve never seen a rattlesnake ‘in the wild’. That’s not counting ones I’ e seen on the road.

And we have a lot of them. I reckon I’m due and should pay real close attention from now on, huh?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Never saw that before. Never even heard of a rattlesnake climbing a tree!

That would freak me out.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    As much time as I’ve spent in the woods, I’ve never seen a rattler either. Lots of copperheads and water moccasins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Where I live they don't exist, except for a very rare Massasauga Rattlesnake, maybe 18" long. I don't think anyone has ever died from it's bite. In my 75 years I've only seen one (I think) as a kid, along a small river near home. I had a 22 auto and heard a sound at my feet, looked down to see this snake coiled and shaking it's tail, jumped about 3' straight up and emptied my 22 before I touched down, then ran like hell.
    Then there was the time the Captain tried to get into my truck with a live Copperhead, that didn't happen either.
    My youngest son and I went turkey hunting with Captain in some thick brush and open woods, really didn't think about snakes at the time but when we got back to the farm Doug asked about snakes and although we didn't see any, Captain said he smelled a couple. Later that night he and Doug drove the back roads looking for Copperheads or Rattlesnakes on the road, me, I stayed home.
    All the times out west hunting with Troy, never saw or heard one,
    Not a big fan of snakes, but can tolerate the small garden ones, try not to pass along my snake phobia to the grand kids and it seems to be working, they have no problem catching them.
    Last edited by jb; 03-30-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I’ve come across probably 10 rattlers, some in Florida, some in California. Moccasins? Quite a few here in Florida. Maybe 6-8? I only stumbled across copper heads when I was a kid romping all over the mountains of N. Carolina.

In beautiful S. E. Asia, I ran across 3-4 cobras, now THOSE puppies will get your attention. Until I was stationed over there, I always thought those things were generally the size of rattlesnakes. WRONG! We pulled a 12-footer (about as big around as my leg) from under our Headquarters building. Our Commander had that thing mounted and it was the first thing you’d see when entering the building. It was coiled around 2-3 times on the base, then stood approx. 7’ tall ... basically mounted in the position you’d see them coming out of a basket like you see with an Indian snake charmer. When we pulled out of there, the CIA took over the unit to “sanitize” the site before turning it over to the Thai military. I’ve always wondered whatever happened to that snake. The mount was VERY impressive.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    We have a few of the Massasaugas too. I’ve come across maybe four of them in my time.

I used to do a lot with the local DU chapter and we would always hold a big Youth day with all of the 7th graders from the four schools in the county. One year we had a large group of the kids sitting on a grass been watching a demonstration when one of the kids yelled out about a snake. Turns out it was a Massasauga. One of the Conservation Officers that was there grabbed it and I got some really good pictures of it. I had one close up with the mouth open and you could see the venom dripping from the fangs.

I need to try to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    Where I live they don't exist, except for a very rare Massasauga Rattlesnake, maybe 18" long. I don't think anyone has ever died from it's bite. In my 75 years I've only seen one (I think) as a kid, along a small river near home. I had a 22 auto and heard a sound at my feet, looked down to see this snake coiled and shaking it's tail, jumped about 3' straight up and emptied my 22 before I touched down, then ran like hell.
    Then there was the time the Captain tried to get into my truck with a live Copperhead, that didn't happen either.
    My youngest son and I went turkey hunting with Captain in some thick brush and open woods, really didn't think about snakes at the time but when we got back to the farm Doug asked about snakes and although we didn't see any, Captain said he smelled a couple. Later that night he and Doug drove the back roads looking for Copperheads or Rattlesnakes on the road, me, I stayed home.
    All the times out west hunting with Troy, never saw or heard one,
    Not a big fan of snakes, but can tolerate the small garden ones, try not to pass along my snake phobia to the grand kids and it seems to be working, they have no problem catching them.
    You shoulda seen him messing with that spittin' adder and trying to keep it from playing possum. That was right before he shot his ramrod out of his muzzleloader. At that point, I realized this man was insane and I needed to keep a rational distance.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.