Thread: Well, you can welcome us to the crowd.

Well, you can welcome us to the crowd.

Our Governor just issued a statewide stay-at-home order.

Before today, it's been issued county by county.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

So, how many estate sales you gonna attend this week????
    Southern Gentleman

We're only allowed out for “essential" services or activities. Estate sales are essential to me paying my bills AND retaining my sanity.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Middle of week 3, 4 more to go.
    Unless you find something different to do each day, you're will find yourself going f#%$^ing nuts.
    At least it warm enough to sit outside in your front yard and watch the grass grow.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    We're only allowed out for “essential" services or activities. Estate sales are essential to me paying my bills AND retaining my sanity.
    You may find them all cancelled or rescheduled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, in reality, they’ve all been cancelled.

Not in Oklahoma!

We’re under the ‘pretend it isn’t there and it won’t get us’ plan.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Good thing I left when I did. We had reservations through 03/31, but up and left 03/13. Not where I'd want to be stuck for months, but I WAS just beginning to catch a few fish!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Thumper when is your governor going to reclaim his wits and get those people off that cruise ship?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Last I heard, they're headed for Ft. Lauderdale and were going to disembark there. I think I heard something about limiting the number due to limited hospital space, but that was yesterday. I haven't heard the latest. That cruise ship deal is a real conundrum. No matter what you do, it's wrong in one way or another. I'm kinda wondering why, instead of New York and Los Angeles, why don't they send those hospital ships out to triage and hospitalize the passengers at sea? Anchor in a cove or protected area, even off-shore or a port and do a ship to ship transfer. We have been to MANY ports where we could not dock and passengers get shuttled via tenders. They're set up for it and it's an extremely common procedure that the cruise lines have down pat.

I wondered the same thing, Thumper when that one was stranded off the Cali coast.

The problem again is testing. We supposedly have testing now. Supposedly.

I’m not sure what’s complicated. We take them in and do what we can for them. If we start prioritizing humans by their origins, in this case Floridians over non-Floridians, then we’re no better than when we did it in WWII era when we turned away shiploads of Jewish immigrants.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I heard Port Everglades, wherever that is.

The trouble with the USNS Hospital Ships is that those are 100% designated for OTHER Than COVID-19 patients. If they are being utilized much (and I have no clue), then it'd be wrong (IMHO) to chance contamination by bringing infected patients.

I used to know all the answers. Now I don't know any, and only 10% of the right questions.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I have had other thoughts, but it would never fly. Cruise lines, as well as a majority of the shipping industry (container, tanker, cargo, etc) always register their ships in foreign countries to avoid taxes, environmental laws as well as labor laws. We always cruise on Holland America (the same as the ships in question). It's like the higher end of Carnival (their parent company). Although they are jointly owned (British/American), they are registered in The Netherlands. These days, the majority of ships are registered in Panama (mostly), followed by Liberia, the Marshall Islands, Hong Kong and Singapore. When you have these "ghost ships" running from country to country trying to be accepted into a port, why not make the country it's registered in responsible and force THEM to allow them into their own ports? Passengers could then be dispersed to hospitals (if needed) and the healthy can be flown to their home countries. Sure, I can think of a bazillion problems that would cause, but it's better than these ships wandering aimlessly at sea and being refused entry by every country on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    I heard Port Everglades, wherever that is.

The trouble with the USNS Hospital Ships is that those are 100% designated for OTHER Than COVID-19 patients. If they are being utilized much (and I have no clue), then it'd be wrong (IMHO) to chance contamination by bringing infected patients.

I used to know all the answers. Now I don't know any, and only 10% of the right questions.
    Yessir, Port Everglades is Ft. Lauderdale. We take probably 95% of our cruises out of there as it's the main port for Holland America down here. As for the hospital ships, I meant BEFORE they were dispatched to New York and L.A. These cruise ships were bouncing from port to port being refused entry long before the hospital ships were dispatched.

Interesting idea.

I’d like to know when these people boarded too. If they boarded after Mar 1st, they need to pay full ridefor all of their treatment too.

As for bailing out the cruise ship business, let the countries where they’re flagged take care of that. I really have no sympathy there. They’ve had sickness issues before without hardly doing anything about it.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

They boarded on March 6th in Buenos Aires and all were given a medical screening. It was a South American cruise and the word was out about the problem in China, but there were only a couple of cases reported in all of S. America. While aboard the cruise, the virus exploded and became a worldwide deal. In the meantime, the passengers were unwittingly being exposed during their shore excursions, then brought it onboard with them.

Are they being denied entry at their SA port of origin?

And maybe my Mar 1st date was early. The first case in the US was Mar 1st.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I believe Ft. Lauderdale was their original destination (Buenos Aires to Lauderdale). The virus started hitting well into the cruise and they kept trying to port, but were refused in every country along the way, including Cuba.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Well, Michigan and Indiana both closed schools for the rest of the school year.

Looks like I’m gonna be the only one leaving the house for quite a while longer than originally thought. At least Michigan is going to make sure that the teachers get paid through the end of the school year as well. That was a big concern since my wife’s principal salary is more than mine. If we lost that we would have been in a pickle.

Feel bad for my nephew who is a senior this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Gotta wonder when the cure will be worse than the disease. That old joke - the operation was a success but the patient died - comes to mind.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Our governor says "she can't".. I'm betting she can - and will..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.